Existence Precedes Essence

Existence Precedes Essence

A Story by @JoelPascuaBembo
"

This is a philosophical article inspired by Jean-Paul Sartre.

"

EXISTENCE PRECEDES ESSENCE



“Joel you are condemned to be free; because once you’re thrown into this world, you are responsible for everything you do”


The photo strongly speaks to me those words I fore mentioned. Indeed, I feel like Jean-Paul Sartre is just in front of me face-to-face.  Telling me, “Joel, everything has been figured out, except on how you will spend your life.”


The most compelling part of the picture is the man abandoned in the world in the sense that he finds himself alone and without help.  Everything is open and no one is actually there to make judgment or decision for him. It is true then, that we must choose and act from within whatever situation we find ourselves.  In this case, each of us is responsible for everything we do. Because it is in our actions that we define our existence. Thus, it is strongly in our manner and behavior that we can figure out our apparent qualities as human beings.


The photo also emphasizes freedom. Freedom, as we all know it, is the central and unique potentiality which differentiate us among other beings. This is the very reason why Sartre rejects determinism, saying that it is our choice how we respond to determining tendencies. We are not object. And we must not let ourselves be an object for others�"be it an institution, group of people, friends etc.


After all, our freedom is our existence…and the existence of our freedom brings about our essence.

I am deeply convinced then that existence precedes essence.

© 2017 @JoelPascuaBembo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

BEAUTIFUL u write with determination and great thought to existence live your life the way you want to... thanks for writing this

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on October 23, 2017
Last Updated on October 23, 2017

Author

@JoelPascuaBembo
@JoelPascuaBembo

About
I am an ex-seminarian. I am currently taking up Bachelor of Arts major in Philosophy. more..

Writing