Killshot

Killshot

A Chapter by Ravyne Hawke
"

Astraeus Earth Force Station, 2115 A.D.

"

 

Rourke and Davies sat at their usual table by the Gardens. As they ate, information flowed through their tablets. Kerchev sent real-time security vid feeds to Davies and he watched them as he forked mouthfuls of salad into his mouth. Rourke poured over the floor plans of the Rotunda and the locations of guards, both his own security team and those who were to arrive with Ambassador Amon. In total, there would be thirty guards inside the Rotunda itself and another twenty in various locations surrounding it. He knew the risks of even hosting the dinner for the Ambassador, but it was a diplomatic curtesy and Earth Gov was all about keeping the Katharsi happy. They were Earth’s greatest allies, but that could turn at any moment for any cause. Such were the ways of alien races.

Davies looked up from the feeds and saw Rourke’s clinched jaw and furrowed brow. His old friend was worried. “Stop it, Jeremy,” he said, poking at Rourke’s computer.

“Stop what?”

“You have looked over those plans for an hour now. Finish your lunch.”

Rourke sighed. “Do we have enough detectors set up?”

“If they try to sneak in any kind of weapons, we will detect them. Stop worrying.”

“We haven’t dealt with the Makaa in twenty years. What if they’ve developed something we can’t detect?” Rourke persisted.

Davies sat his fork down on the plate and exclaimed, “We have plenty of guards. They know what the Makaa look like. There is no way they will let one of those bug-eyed insects into the Rotunda.”

“Is fifty guards really enough?”

Davies moved his head from side to side and crunched his shoulders. He was tense and Rourke wasn’t helping matters. “We don’t just have fifty. I will have security at every level entrance and exit, in S&R, and in docking. Trust me, the Makaa will not get through.”

Rourke shoved his plate of food to the center of the table and snapped at Davies, “It would be simple if the Ambassador would just let us put a shield around him!”

“Yes, it would,” Davies agreed. “But you know their beliefs. Those shields mess with their cosmic hoo-ha, or whatever it is they call it.”

Rourke laughed at Davies’ creative word. “Regeneration. That’s what they call it. Apparently the cosmos is constantly regenerating their life-force, but I agree, it sounds hinky to me.”

Davies shoveled the last of his lunch into his mouth and then turned off his tablet. “I don’t see anything on these feeds,” he complained.

“I will have Kerchev and his team constantly monitoring,” Rourke replied.

“Yeah. Okay,” Davies said as he pushed his chair back and stood up. “I need to meet with my team.”

“See you in Landing at five,” Rourke said as he too stood up.

 

For the next three hours, Rourke consulted with Kerchev and his team. He instructed them to continue monitoring the live vid feeds, as well as searching the older feeds from the past few weeks for any strange activity.

At ten minutes before four, he left the Tech Unit and made his way to his quarters. He was never very good at social settings. That had been Evelyn’s strength. It was times like this that he missed her elegance most. All this pomp and circumstance just wasn’t his style, but he got out his ceremonial suit and dressed anyway. He looked into the full length mirror: black pants, the tailored red jacket the black insignia of Earth Gov and the white sash that covered him from shoulder to waist �" uniform of a diplomat. He’d rather be wearing his battle jacket and flying gear, but those were just vestiges of a twenty year old chasing dreams. He’d traded many jackets since then. Now, he was an old man with receding grey hair and more lines and craters on his face than all of Ganymede. Rourke slipped on the black ceremonial gloves and headed to his door. The computer interrupted his procession.

Incoming call from Earth.

Now what? Rourke thought. “Answer call!” he barked out loud.

“Commander Rourke, this is Special Agent Eames from the New York branch of the UCE Federal Bureau of Investigation. May I have a moment of your time, sir?” a male voice asked in a Brooklyn accent.

“A moment, agent,” Rourke grumbled. “I have an important dinner to attend.”

“Yes, sir. We have conducted an interview with Ms. Delany. Do you recall her, sir?”

“I do. Have you uncovered anything about the stolen artifacts?”

“We have, sir. The information is troubling.”

“What is the information?” Rourke demanded.

There was a pause and then the agent continued, “Sir, Ms. Delany says she was acquiring the stolen artifacts for an ambassador of the Katharsi government.”

What the hell? Rourke thought, then asked, “Did she say which ambassador?”

“She claims that no name was given, but that the acquisition came through on official letterhead from the Offices of Ambassadors. She produced the file in the interview, sir. There was no name on it and it was definitely sent from the Katharsi OA.”

“Thank you for this information, SA Eames. I assume there will be a formal investigation into this?”

“Yes, sir. Any assistance you can give me from your end would be appreciated.”

“I will do whatever I can. Good day, SA Eames.”

 

Rourke joined Davies, Dr. Agarwal, and the security team in Landing for the official greeting of Ambassador Amon’s arrival. He pulled Davies aside and told him that he had new information about the stolen artifacts, but that they could discuss it after they got the Ambassador settled. He returned to Dr. Agarwal’s side, admiring the beautiful embroidered blue sari that she wore. Her hair was pulled up into a twist and adorned with pearl and sapphire beads. She was quite a vision. He continued staring at her until Landing-bay 5 opened.

Two Katharsian guards exited first, followed by Ambassador Amon dressed in a long golden ceremonial robe, and by his wife, Lady Luna Amon, dressed in a long silver ceremonial robe, traditional attire of the wives of the Katharsian ambassadors. Each of their robes bore symbols of the Katharsi: stars, moons, suns and various insignias of their godhood, keeping with their tradition of Cosmic Children. The Ambassador’s entourage, followed by thirteen more guards, filed out of the landing bay and surrounded the ambassador and his wife.

The Ambassador, a human-like alien of great stature and an imposing face, put his two hands together with his fingertips turned upward and bowed deeply before Rourke’s party. “Commander Rourke, it is a pleasure to see you again.”
            “Indeed it is a pleasure, Ambassador,” Rourke said as he returned the hand gesture and bow. “Allow me to introduce you to Dr. Ananda Agarwal,” Rourke said, pointing to the doctor, “And of course, you remember my security chief, Charles Davies.”

Ambassador Amon nodded at Davies and then positioned himself in front of Dr. Agarwal, taking her hand in his. “Doctor, it is so good to meet you.” He smiled at her, his mouth wide and his large boned teeth exposed. He continued to hold her hand, gazing into her eyes with his own that sparkled like fire opals.

Dr. Agarwal returned his smile, but coughed as her voice cracked in reply. “A pleasure, Ambassador.”

“Uely, give the woman her hand back. You are making her nervous,” Lady Amon urged as she patted her husband on the back.

Dr. Agarwal laughed lightly as she looked from the ambassador to his wife.  Ambassador Amon released her hand and turned his attentions back to Rourke, not even acknowledging his wife’s remark. He stared at Rourke for a moment and then clasped his hands together, a gesture signifying that he was ready to proceed with Rourke’s instructions.

“Well, Ambassador. As I informed you yesterday, we have three Makaa on board the Station. We have increased security and I see you’ve brought your own security with you, as well,” Rourke began to explain as he led the Ambassador’s party through docking and into the Station’s main square. “Your quarters have been arranged as you requested,” he continued, “and we will have dinner in the Rotunda as soon as you and your wife have settled in.”

Davies pointed to three security officers. “These three men, Ambassador, will escort your party to your rooms. They will remain outside your quarters with your own guards until you are ready for dinner.”

“Very well,” the Ambassador said, his voice dismissive. “In about an hour, Commander?” he inquired, turning to Rourke.

“An hour will be fine, Ambassador,” Rourke replied as he bowed before the overbearing alien.

Rourke watched as the Ambassador and his party followed the security team through the main square and down a corridor of the Station. When they were completely out of sight, he turned to Dr. Agarwal. “Sorry about that, Ananda. I should have warned you about the Ambassador. He can be quite… um, for lack of a better word… scary.”

The doctor smiled at him in her calm way. “Don’t worry, Jeremy. I’ve met other Katharsians. They are all scary on the outside, but quite tame in mannerisms.”

Rourke laughed. “Indeed. I need to talk with Davies for a bit before dinner.”

“Go on, Jeremy. I need to check-in with Medic Labs anyway.”

Rourke leaned over and kissed her lightly. “In an hour, my dear,” he said, smiling at her.

 

Davies joined Rourke in the Command Center. They sat across from one another at his desk, a bottle of whiskey between them. They drank in silence for a few moments, each staring at the other.

“I got a call from an UCE FBI agent before the Ambassador arrive,” Rourke said, breaking the silence.

“Oh?” Davies inquired, sitting up in his chair and leaning forward.

“The girl from the University said a Katharsian ambassador was involved.”

“Did she say who?”

“No. Do you think we can really trust Ambassador Amon?”

Davies took a drink of his whiskey and sat the glass back down. “He’s been pretty loyal to Earth Gov for the past few decades, even acting as an ally when the intergalactic community came after us. I can’t imagine he would be interested in stolen artifacts, especially from his own planet.”

Rourke drank his whiskey and Davies offered him a second glass. “No, there will be plenty of wine at this dinner. I need a clear head for tonight. Everything ready?”

“I hope so. I am sick of this whole mess.”

Rourke stood. “Let’s just get through this damn dinner without getting the Ambassador assassinated.”

 

Within an hour, Rourke was seated beside Dr. Agarwal at the head table in the Rotunda. Beside her was seated Lady Luna, followed by Ambassador Amon on the end. The room was filled with heads of departments from all over the Station, as well as their wives and husbands, some of the youth from the Station’s university, and the Ambassador’s entourage. Platters of Katharsian boar and elk, vegetables and fruits adorned the tables. In the center of the room, an orchestra played music while a troupe of dancers entertained them. The atmosphere was one of ease with laughter and loud chatter filling the air.

Between sets of music and dance, Rourke stood and clinked his glass with a salad knife. “Ladies and gentlemen, Earthling and Katharsian, I would like to take a moment to thank Ambassador Amon and his lovely wife, Lady Luna, for joining us here on Astraeus.” He tipped his head toward the Ambassador and lifted his wine glass in salute.

The Ambassador stood and bowed. As he lifted his glass, there was a rush of excitement in the room. A robed figure ran into the Rotunda. He crashed into a table and knocked a couple of dancers off of their feet. The Katharsian guards swarmed the head table and Davies’ security team forced their way in through the crowd of people rising from their tables.

“Ambassador Amon, you have been found guilty by the Makaan and sentenced to death!” the robed figure shouted as he continued coming toward the table. He raised his hand and aimed a laser at the Ambassador.

Davies raced from his spot in an alcove near the table, his laser charged and ready. “I’ve got the killshot!” he screamed, alerting his men. He fired his gun, hitting the man between his eyes.

The robbed figure fell to the ground, his gun sliding across the room. Davies scuttled through the growing crowd, pushing his way past dancers, guards and dignitaries. Dr. Agarwal hurried forward and reached him moments before Davies did. As she removed his hood, she let out a scream.

Davies lifted the doctor’s arm, pulling her away, and bent down to see who the man was. At that moment, Rourke reached the scene and put an arm around Dr. Agarwal. As he led her away, Rourke shouted back at Davies, “Who the hell is it?”

“Bruin! It’s bloody well Bruin!” Davies declared.



© 2015 Ravyne Hawke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on April 14, 2015
Last Updated on April 14, 2015
Tags: science fiction, thievery, betrayal, death, hackery


Author

Ravyne Hawke
Ravyne Hawke

Somewhere, VA



About
Writer of short fiction, flash fiction, and novellas. Genres include horror, science fiction and mysteries. Poet and Artist Lives in the Mountains of Virginia more..

Writing