After dinner

After dinner

A Chapter by Isemay

She was nearly to the carriages when a hand grabbed her upper left arm roughly and jerked her around. The scarred Meazyr Prince looked furious.

 

“Did touching me aekel je so much, Zoldendochter?” His grip was like a vise.

 

“No! Did you not see the disapproval on my uncle’s face?” She hissed trying to jerk her arm away.

 

He didn’t seem to have any difficulty keeping hold of her. His eyes were mistrustful.

 

She looked at him and shook her head. “What proof do you require? What will allow me to escape before my uncle sends someone to fetch me?” Her tone sharpened. “I would prefer not to be berated in front of everyone here. My uncle does not believe in private censure. Just as you do not seem to believe in gentleness.”

 

He released her arm and looked taken aback. “I wish to see je, to speak witt je.”

 

“To show me your temper further?” She touched her sore arm gingerly.

 

“No.” Regret was plain on his face. “I will not trouble je ferder.”

 

Before she could step away she heard a throat clearing from the doorway. She closed her eyes and tried not to clench her jaw, if it were Tannos he would laugh and spend the rest of the evening clenching his jaw at her and smirking. It was annoying and she wasn’t allowed to slap the stupid smirk off of his face. She took a breath and turned her head. Tandas. The tale carrier.

 

“Yes, cousin?” She kept her voice even.

 

“My father sends for you. He said you would know why.” He looked smug, taking in the indigo favor belt wrapped around the Meazyr’s arm.

 

“I do.” She tried to keep the dread she felt off of her face as she turned back toward her cousin walking with a measured pace.

 

The Meazyr Prince followed behind. When they arrived in front of her uncle in the gardens her cousin leaned in and whispered into his ear. He smirked. Vaeri stood mentally preparing herself for the humiliation to come.

 

When her uncle began asking her what possessed her to do something so brazen as to remove her favor belt at the dinner table, she knew better than to answer. The Meazyr did not.

 

He stepped forward boldly. “Despite de paint on her ears, she is well mannered. Covering mina handt allowed me a more pleasant meal.”

 

Her uncle’s eyes narrowed and he smiled dangerously. “Did it? Knowing yourself to be favored by a Flower of Kingholme would aid digestion.”

 

The Meazyr Prince lifted his hand and uncovered it, showing his malformed hand. “To sit at jer table musste remove mina stalhandt. I don’t like when mina handt is in vollesikt.”

 

“Voll…?” The King feigned confusion.

 

“Plain view.” Vaeri quietly volunteered.

 

“I imagine no one does.” He smirked. “I had not realized she was doing us all a kind deed. Consider your brazenness forgiven, my Flower. But do not do it a second time?” His words almost sounded pleasant.

 

She inclined her head and bent her knees slowly as she had been taught, just enough to be noticed before rising again. “Thank you, my King.” She stepped away and wandered into the garden. When she turned the Meazyr Prince was not following. She thought about not finding him to apologize for her uncle’s insult but it would have been unkind, he had stepped in to take her portion of censure and shouldn’t be doubly punished for it.

 

She began circling looking for him. Glancing over the clusters of Meazyr, some in black as he had been, some dressed in very fine Draimenan fashion as the Prince of Klinglach had been. None with an indigo favor belt wrapped around his arm. It wasn’t until she ducked into a small gap between hedges avoiding her cousin Tannara that she stumbled upon him. He was seated with the Prince of Klinglach and two others, lounging was possibly a more appropriate word, on low cushions around a firebowl.

 

She smiled as heads turned toward her. “Forgive me, I didn’t mean to intrude.”

 

“How else could dat be taken? Stepping door a gap in de hedge?”  The Prince of Klinglach’s mocking tone was very similar to his brother’s.

 

She felt her cheeks coloring. “I didn’t realize there was a gathering here, and I was trying to avoid someone.”

 

He laughed and nodded. “Jer cousin mentioned dat je go to great lengths to avoid dem, and dat dey do de same for je.”

 

Her lips curved in the imitation of a smile. “I’m surprised you’re not still at his side. You seemed two of a kind at dinner.” From the look on his face, he seemed to understand she meant it as an insult despite her sweet tone. “Please forgive the intrusion.” She moved to walk past them.

 

“Why would je linger if je are so desperate to avoid dem?” One of the other Meazyr asked.

 

She stopped and turned glancing at the one wearing her favor belt. “I have someone I need to speak to before I leave, it took me some time to find him among the guests. As he is occupied I will have to wait longer.” She turned walking away, trying to think where she might wait that would be easy for him to find her if he wished to.

 

“Zoldendochter.” He had followed.

 

She half smiled in surprise. “I didn’t mean to tear you away from your gathering. I can wait.”

 

“Come sit witt me. I would have jer kamratskaft.” He reached with his left hand and gently touched her ear, the favor belt brushed her cheek.

 

She felt her cheeks coloring again and smiled reaching up to touch his hand, wrapping her fingers around his two, before carefully pulling it away from her ear. He pressed his thumb to the backs of her fingers holding them a moment before he released them.

 

“If that’s what you want. You did step in between me and my uncle’s sharp tongue.” She teased him gently.

 

He made the same sound in his throat he had made before dinner and it was unmistakably a laugh this time.



© 2017 Isemay


Author's Note

Isemay
aekel - disgust
Stepping door a gap - stepping through a gap
jer kamratskaft - your companionship

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on May 24, 2017
Last Updated on June 17, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, nobility, royalty


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay