Ash

Ash

A Chapter by Isemay

Lieutenant Commander Omedvei had been waiting for his chance. Prince Tanric had told him at the first sign that Commander Eshenesra wavered in his resolve to hold Vells he was to start issuing commands more in line with the Prince’s wishes. Upon hearing that the Commander had been openly friendly with one of the Meazyr during the talks, giving him welcome permission to return to Redreath and to the Commander’s own sister, it beggared belief that the man would do his best to fight for Draim. Prince Tanric believed men like Commander Eshenesra were the reason the war had dragged on, men that were not fully loyal had been raised to ranks they should never have possessed and directed the war. That was now changing.

 

Commander Eshenesra gathered his Lieutenants, making plans to hold Vells until such a time as the siege would be lifted. In the middle of the mundane discussions of rationing and curfews in the tense, tightly packed city Lieutenant Commander Omedvei interrupted.

 

“Should we not spend some time discussing what we intend to do about the Meazyr outside the walls?” His sneering tone identified him as one of the fools Tanric had sent.

 

“The defensive positions are well defined. The men have their orders. If the Meazyr attack, we will fight them. If would be the height of stupidity to provoke the Bloody Prince into an attack when we have limited supplies of men and weapons.” The Commander gave him a hard look. “If you would prefer to spend the rest of the siege in the cells, please continue with your insubordination.” Most of the other Lieutenants tried to suppress their smiles as their Commander put the a*s in his place. Only a few did not smile at all.

 

“Prince Tanric-” Omedvei began haughtily.

 

“Prince Tanric is an idiot who thinks war is a board game. He has never once set foot on the field. I have been charged with holding this city, and hold it we will. We will not provoke them, we will stay behind our walls and wait for reinforcements. Is that clear?” His tone was sharp and dangerous. He had no patience left for fools.

 

Omedvei inclined his head sharply and fell silent. The rest of them finished making their plans while Omedvei contemplated his own. He was certain that Prince Tanric would reward him richly even if this traitor threw him in the cells for insubordination. When they were dismissed, Omedvei consulted secretly with the few other Lieutenants he knew were loyal to the Prince and they set about to do what needed to be done.

 

It was the dead of night when they gave the orders to attack. They launched stones and firepots amongst the Meazyr tents causing chaos and they hoped many casualties. Their smugness did not last long.

 

The Bloody Prince pulled back and waited, and by afternoon heavily loaded wagons rolled into their encampment. The Meazyr siege weapons came to the front.

 

Commander Eshenesra had been livid and had ordered Prince Tanric’s idiot Lieutenants locked in the cells. He tried to prepare his men for the coming attack as best he could, ordering the women and children as far back from the walls as they could get. They huddled together in terror, many had fled their homes in front of the Bloody Prince’s advance, and the rest were terrified for their husbands and fathers on the wall.

 

When the siege weapons fired they did not aim for the walls. Their loads crashed within them and burst into flame. Commander Eshenesra knew that if he took his men from the wall to fight the fires the Meazyr would have an open path to take the city, but no man could sit and do nothing while the city burned around his wife and children. He chose to try and save them. He ordered his men to fight the fires.

 

The Meazyr Prince never sent his soldiers. The barrage of fire lasted until there was no more left to send raining down upon the city. The gates never opened and the fire burned for days. The thick black smoke rose and spread, ash rained upon the walls.

 

When word reached the King’s ear, he summoned Tanric and told him to go to Pearlion and negotiate a peace, this was no longer a war that could be won. Tanric wished to argue, but the King silenced him with a sharp reminder, Tanril could just as easily become Crown Prince. Defying the King was treason. Tanric gave his obeisance and departed. King Tannon gave orders that Lady Vaeri be brought to the Court immediately.



© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on May 29, 2017
Last Updated on May 29, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, nobility, royalty


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay