Surprising

Surprising

A Chapter by Isemay

Charyic felt bitter disappointment twisting in her guts. She’d liked the bird. Finding out that it was another Light Bringer was more of a blow that it should have been, somehow. She gave the dark haired man a glare full of daggers after he had changed back and pulled a tunic over his head, to his credit he looked deeply apologetic.


The tall pale Light Bringer, however, chattered. He spoke to the man he called Esus and then tried to prompt her to speak, repeatedly. He looked at her with annoyance when she remained silent, and she returned the look with one of loathing.


Esus answered for her, “She can’t speak, Ivhir. When she tries, it comes out as song.” He looked at her and twisted his lips wryly, “I don’t think she’s happy about it.”


Charyic gave a half nod and looked at the dark haired man with a little less animosity. He wasn’t much taller than she was and next to the one he called Ivhir he seemed stumpy and ungainly. The difference between the man and the elegant bird was jarring.


“So the songbird won’t be singing for us as we walk?” Ivhir teased.


Esus gave her a half smile, “She’s no songbird. The way she charged a Sial, I think she might be a bird of prey.”


Charyic grinned at him despite herself.


“A very small one.” Ivhir teased again.


Charyic was in motion before the taller man realized it. A sharp kick to the knee and blow to his neck as he toppled, and when he woke, barely half a moment later, she was kneeling on him with a small sharp knife pressed to his throat and Esus was standing nearby with crooked grin.


“How large do you think she needs to be?”


Ivhir stayed very still, frowning up at the angry woman, the look in his mirrored eyes reflected the dangerous fury in her own.


“Up my beauty. You’ve proved your point and if you kill him he can’t carry the armor for you.” It was Esus turn to tease.


Charyic slowly pulled her knife back and stood, she didn’t flash Esus a mischievous smile until she had turned away from Ivhir. She tossed the bag of armor to the taller man as he stood murmuring to himself. The small knife she tucked away again.


“Take her knife, Esus.” Ivhir was much more serious now.


Esus barked a laugh. “You’re the one in armor, you take it.” He started walking in the direction they’d been moving again.


Charyic laughed and grinned impishly at the dark haired man, falling into step with him without prodding. He was still likable, a surprising thing to discover. But she was glad of it.


Ivhir shouldered the bag and followed warily.


When Lallareth came into view Charyic paused and sighed, shaking her head. The sour look she gave Esus conveyed her displeasure clearly and the man made the same soothing sounds at her that she had made in the small clearing. She looked at him incredulously and then almost playfully shoved his shoulder.


His crooked grin she answered with a shake of her head and a wry twist of her lips. He waved her ahead and she sighed and moved toward the towering structure.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on July 21, 2017
Last Updated on July 21, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay