Curse

Curse

A Chapter by Isemay

Esus was halfway into his bird form when Charyic risked another glance. She turned back with a shiver. When she heard him hopping toward the cell and she turned around to see the beautiful bird almost in the doorway giving her an accusing look. She grinned and shrugged.


Seeing his clothes in a heap she looked back and plucked at her own and then pointed to the watcher’s chair. The bird’s head tilted and she held up a finger again. She stepped past him carefully and he followed as she picked up his clothes and shook them out before folding them and putting them on the chair.


She grinned down at him before heading back to the cell and holding the door open as the large bird made his way in. She thought for a moment about locking him in and making a run for it. But he’d found her in the forest and that couldn’t have been easy. The likelihood he could track her down again, and the fact that he was the only one of the Light Bringers she didn’t want to push over the edge of the mirador, kept her in the cell. She pulled it closed and didn’t bother to lock it, giving them something to worry about like escaping and killing them while they slept would make sleeping in the cell a little more comfortable.


Charyic settled onto the cot and pulled up the blankets. She looked at the large bird curiously. And then laughed as he flapped and jumped onto the cot, making himself comfortable on her legs. She could tell Esus was being careful not to sink his talons into her. Not to mention making sure she couldn’t slip out unnoticed when he fell asleep.


When she was rudely awakened the next morning by Miryil’s cursing, she rubbed her eyes and then grinned. Esus was at the foot of her cot tilting his head at the furious Light Bringer.


“You opened the door to cuddle with your-your pet thief?!”


Sitting up on the cot Charyic shook her head, drawing the woman’s ire.


“Don’t you shake your head at me.” Miryil snarled. “You ruined my armor, and you don’t even understand how. You’ve lost a sword worth more than your life, and-”


Charyic had had enough, she opened her mouth to retort and the song of hollowed and swallowed light bubbled out again. This time Charyic shuddered as she sang and felt as though her soul was being shoved out of her mouth as it flapped and the song bubbled out. She could feel her body collapsing onto the cold cell floor. But she couldn’t even move her arms to protect herself. She struggled against the feeling of being pushed, trying to close her mouth unable to do so and unable to focus on the words that kept coming.


When it finally stopped Charyic was shivering on the floor and panting for breath. She thought she might vomit and the cold of the stones felt good on her face. Esus was pulling the blanket over her, his hands were warm as he stroked her hair and spoke softly and soothingly, calling her ‘my beauty’ as he had the day before. She closed her eyes and breathed.


She could hear Esus quietly telling Miryil to bring him his clothes, and then telling the stunned woman that Charyic had only stayed because he stayed with her. She’d been able to open the door of the cell without any difficulty.


Miryil frowned and knelt next to her head and Charyic opened her eyes and looked up at her bitterly. “Has this happened before?”


Charyic narrowed her eyes.


Esus took her hand and spoke quietly, “Open your hand and lay it flat for yes and make a fist for no, Charyic.”


Charyic made a fist.


“The gods don’t look well on blasphemy.” Miryil sat back on her heels. “I don’t think this is a coincidence that it’s occurring now that you’ve-”


Charyic’s face contorted with fury and she began trying to sit up, angrily shaking her head.


“Easy, my beauty.” Esus wrapped her tightly in the blanket and pulled her back to laying with her head on his thigh. “You need to rest after that. I don’t know if you understand what just happened.”


Charyic touched her chest and then mimed forceful pushing out of her mouth with a shudder. He stroked her hair again.


“If she undoes the wrong she might not be subjected to it again.” Miryil spoke sharply.


“Would you take back an offering you left for the god of thieves and fools?” Esus asked quietly looking down at her.


Charyic made a fist and held it.


“I expected as much.” He looked to Miryil pointedly. “The goddess blessed her, she would have known about the girl, already. I doubt that leaving an offering is the root of this.”


Miryil sighed looking at her speculatively. “What did you leave the goddess in thanks?”


Charyic snorted, making both of the Light Bringers look at her in surprise. She lifted her hand and wrote on Esus’ leg with her finger slowly, letting him speak each word as she wrote it.


Why would I thank her for a curse


Miryil rubbed her face. “The goddess of song blessed you more than anyone in a hundred years and you call it a curse and refuse to thank her.”


Charyic laid her hand flat on Esus’ leg.


The Light Bringers looked at each other with matching grim expressions.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on July 22, 2017
Last Updated on July 22, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay