Duty

Duty

A Chapter by Isemay

After he had watched them reach the temple Esus had gone to the directly to the bird cotes. It was a bit of a walk from the temple but they would have clothes and a place for him to change. On his arrival, his old friend, Zius, had barely let him change before peppering him with questions about the birds at Lallareth.


He answered quite a few and then tried to excuse himself only to be asked why he didn’t seem to have time for a dear friend.


Esus looked at him speculatively. “You know about my Charyic.”


The old man grinned. “Some. The message said that you were taken with a thief and even had her name written in your ledger like a bird.”


Esus smiled his crooked smile. “They tease me about her being one of my birds. I’m the only one she won’t run from or try to kill. I have to get back to her or she’ll get up to mischief.”


“Only duty then?” The old man asked with a knowing smile.


Esus felt his face begin to color. There was no lying to Zius. “No. She-” He paused. “She sang something, and I think it was meant for me.”


The old man’s eyes sparkled. “You think she was meant for you.”


Esus knew his ears must be red and he tried to keep the hope that she was and the fear that she wasn’t from his voice. “Maybe. I don’t know.”


“What did she sing?” Zius asked curiously.


Esus took a deep breath and after a moment sang the snatch of song quietly, “Birds in flight on the winds of war, joy on the wing, love forever more.”


He looked at Zius almost helplessly. The old man smiled, “What are you doing here spending your time with an old man when you have joy on the wing to get to!”


Esus laughed and embraced him before he stepped out into the streets eager to get back to Charyic. By the time he had gotten to the temple the furor was in full swing. She had managed to escape from a carriage escorted by four Light Bringers, while bound.


He thought his heart might stop. “Why. Why would you try to move her without me?” His anger and agony were palpable.


The priestess sighed. “The message she carried must reach the Holy Father. We will find her,” she nodded to Miryil, “Go, take the part that you know.” She looked to Esus. “She sang prophecy before you as well?”


He nodded. “I’m not leaving without her. You’ll never get her to Isemalrocath without me.”


“You are ordered to take her words to the Holy Father, Bringer of Light.” Her words were a command.


“You lose my Charyic, and order me away? I can find her.” His anguish and determination showed in his mirrored eyes and rang in his voice.


“You are commanded to go.” The priestess’ tone brooked no further discussion.


Esus looked stricken as Miryil grabbed him by the arm and dragged him out of the temple.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 25, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay