Trunk

Trunk

A Chapter by Isemay

Malav watched carefully as she settled into the trunk. He still wasn’t fond of the idea but it did seem an effective plan. He had to admire the way she calmed herself as things were carefully arranged on top of her, giving her room. Stiff armor, propped up by boots and then layers of clothing. The air was close and the weight on her hip and shoulder pressed her into the bottom of the trunk. The tight quarters of the bottom of the trunk would have been maddening for him.


She carefully opened the holes in the side and breathed making sure everything was in order before she thought to him that she was ready to be loaded. He gave the order and a look to Cerik told the man that if anything happened to his wife there would be dire consequences.


Malav mounted his horse choosing to ride next to the loaded carriage. Under his hood, no one would notice him watching the trunk closest to Cerik, perched next to the driver. He kept his staff gripped tightly. He kept a close eye on her within and without the trunk.


As they approached the gate there was chaos and gridlock. Light Bringers and priests were searching every carriage and wagon leaving the city and checking under every hood. Even leaving in the evening as he was doing, there was still a crush of people trying to get out. Malav waited impatiently for his turn under their scrutiny.


The Light Bringer he recalled as Ivhir approached his horse and loudly requested that he draw back his hood.


Malav pulled it back slowly fixing the man with a scowl and a ferocious glare that made the already pale man grow paler. “You dare?”


The Light Bringer appeared to be trying to keep his disgust off of his face as he looked into Malav’s eyes, “The thief from the temple has escaped. We have no intention of allowing her to escape the city.”


Malav gave him a malicious smile. “Perhaps I should extend my stay and help you seek her.”


“That’s unnecessary, your Highness.” Ivhir spoke the title with a hint of distaste. “Allowing us to search your carriage and things would be enough of a help.”


Malav snarled. “You go too far.”


“No one leaves without being searched, your Highness.” The priestess of Isemal had come to stand next to the tall Light Bringer.


Malav let his lips curve mirthlessly. “Did she rob your temple that you have come to search for her yourself?”


The priestess returned his mirthless smile in silence.


Cerik coughed quietly, prompting Malav to look at him. “I will watch them carefully, your Highness, to make certain nothing is taken.”


Malav let a shadow of a smile pass across his face. “Do it. I wish to arrive at our next lodging before midday tomorrow.” He pulled his hood back over his face and watched them looking in and under his carriage and then opening the trunks one at a time, they even had the gall to rifle through his belongings. But they did not find Charyic. She stayed still and silent; he could feel that she did not move a muscle and hardly dared to breathe as the trunk was opened and the clothing was touched.


When they had finished and grudgingly let him pass, he growled to the priestess, “I will find a way to repay you for this indignity.” He was gratified by her shiver and expression of fearfulness as he passed, riding unhurriedly next to his carriage.


They picked up speed as the road cleared and once they had gotten far enough from the city that they could be sure of their privacy they stopped.


As Charyic was helped from the trunk she gave him a tired looking grin and Malav told one of his men to take his horse. He would ride with her inside. She blushed, his kiss sprang immediately to her mind. He was grinning inside his hood.


Inside the carriage, he pulled her close and kissed her again. When he broke the kiss, she curled against him and sighed contentedly and he wished he had given more to Ayil. The taste of love was sweeter than he could have hoped. The feelings she felt pressed against him were the same that she had felt pressed to Esus. Safe, content, and loving. She was enjoying the feel of him, the smell of him. He almost teased her about enjoying the smell of horse and leather but she was nearly asleep. He let her sleep until they had arrived at the shrine of roots and woke her gently.


The middle of the night was not so strange a time for pilgrims to arrive at the shrine, but it seemed closed, the path to the pool was barred. Malav frowned and approached the priest’s huts set back from the entrance, hidden from view, along the opposite side. After waking one, he was told he had first to claim his wife properly before he would be permitted to bring her.


He returned to the carriage and saw her yawn and look at him curiously. In a quiet voice, he told Cerik to set out tents before rejoining Charyic in the carriage, the thought of claiming her burning in his mind.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 26, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay