Hunt

Hunt

A Chapter by Isemay

The cavern and the long path back to the castle had been scoured, and Malav had not found his wife or his staff. He sent men down every tunnel that could be found inside of the cavern, hoping his Charyic had lost her way and was waiting at the end of one of them. Instead, he was greeted with the news that there was another opening.


Malav went back to the fortress to wait as the area around the second opening was searched for signs of his wife. She could not have gone far. She… Malav remembered Cerik mentioning his wife’s skills. The old man might be able to shed light on her capabilities, if Cerik knew what she could still do, he might have advised her where to go. If he knew what the old man had advised, Malav’s soldiers would be able to look in the right place. If you had kept her and your staff by your side, this would never have happened, a nagging voice whispered in his mind.


He looked around the chambers he had barely bothered to visit. Malav’s eyes came to rest on a crumpled piece of paper half under one of the comfortable chairs. He stooped to pick it up and wished immediately that he hadn’t. It was Vanyic’s writing.


Seeking out the maid’s things, Malav began to tear through them hunting for more notes, and he found them. There was even another, still half written, to Lady Vanyic:


My lady,

There is little else to be learned except perhaps not to give the King an heir too quickly. That seems when King Malav lost his desire for the besotted w***e. Do not be tempted to rely on your loveliness, some men cannot bear the sight of


Cerik had not lied. Had he known, he would have choked the life from Vanyic himself.


Malav had decided to return to the castle to begin questioning Cerik when a soldier brought his wife’s clothes to him. Charyic had wanted clothes she felt comfortable in, clothes suitable for a thief. He had given her all she desired. Had he not?


He already knew the answer and it was bitter.


“Hunt until you find her. I need her unharmed. And the staff.” Malav was certain he could win her back if he had the staff in his hand.


“And the prisoner, sire?” The soldier looked at him expectantly.


“You may need him to keep her well-behaved, do not hesitate to harm him otherwise. When she is returned to me, I will kill him myself.” The thought of killing Esus was sweet. He cursed himself again for not agreeing to it when Malies had asked it of him.


Immediately upon Malav’s return, before he had a chance to go below to the cells and begin to demand answers from Cerik, Lord Varnus met him with news. His victory had been glorious. And he had not been there to see it.


“Everything worked exactly as you said it would, my King. They took heavy losses and the Light Bringers fled in defeat.” Lord Varnus looked exultant. “The Dragon’s fire raining down was truly a thing of beauty, how did you know they would send so many men into the pass?”


“The Light Bringers fled? They were permitted to flee?” Malav pulled back his hood letting the man see his fury.


“I-I, yes. They escaped us, but only barely!” Lord Varnus was old enough to be his father but it didn’t stop him from shrinking and cowering like a dog about to be struck, and Malav took a moment to savor the man’s expression.


“Were my orders not clear, Varnus? Or were you simply too inept to follow them?” Malav’s black opal glare kept the man transfixed. “Obviously, I am required to be on the field. I turn over the finding of my wife to you, that I may dedicate myself to future battles. Should you fail to find her, or should she be harmed in any way, I will have your head mounted on my trophy wall.” Malav smiled coldly and almost purred, “Is my order clear enough to follow this time, Varnus?”


The man shuddered, “Yes, my King.”


“Good. Speak with Cerik, he knows what my wife is capable of and may be of some assistance. It seems he may have advised her to take a different path from the cavern. Find out what else he advised her.”


Malav remembered his wife’s song of hollowed and swallowed light, of war and spreading darkness, this he could bring about. He knew already that the Light Bringers had found themselves with few enough allies. After their shameful defeat, their reputation was already growing hollow. The next time they met his army on the field he would be certain that their light was swallowed in blood and Dragon’s fire.


He pushed all thought of the last verses from his mind.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on August 2, 2017
Last Updated on August 2, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay