An apology

An apology

A Chapter by Isemay

When they arrived at Gaelel, Miryil and Erech broke off from the contingent of Light Bringers. They wanted to wash and gather some offerings before going to the temple. Light Bringers rarely left anything on altars other than Isemal’s, but in this case, both Miryil and Erech were in agreement, Esus needed all the help he could get.


Miryil was perusing a sweets stall for an offering for Ayil when the merchant cleared his throat and looked at her nervously. “Is something wrong?”


“I, well, no. But.” He fidgeted.


Miryil narrowed her mirrored eyes, “Spit it out.”


He looked taken aback. “How will you be paying?”


Miryil blinked. Very few merchants asked for payment from Light Bringers, she had grown accustomed to being given the things she needed. Her lips twisted wryly. “Do you or your loved ones have any afflictions that require healing?” Her tone and expression hinted that she could arrange either afflictions or healing and that she wasn’t particular.


“I have some money, if no one requires your feather touch, Miryil.” Erech’s sardonic tone earned him a sharp look. But at the mention of money, the merchant looked at him with gratitude.


They made a small purchase, and Miryil noticed with annoyed amusement that a small something extra was slipped into Erech’s package.


“Things have changed since our last visit.” Miryil said quietly as they moved away from the stall.


“Did you try to buy anything last time?” Erech inquired with a mirthless smile on his thin lips.


“No. I wasn’t here long enough to need to.” Miryil answered studying his face.


“I was.” He looked at her and shrugged. “Things seem to have changed some time ago in Gaelel. I knew to bring money this time. I had forgotten that you were unaware.” He looked around for a moment. “There are some places that have an arrangement with the temple, they require a promise of payment from priests and Light Bringers that they can take to the temple to have honored.”


“We should seek them out then.” Miryil sighed. What should have been a short and simple browse through the stalls seemed to be turning into something more complicated. She hoped the gods would appreciate the extra effort.


When the offerings had been gathered, and either been paid for or had payment promised, they went to the temple and began visiting the altars. They left small wrapped packets of animal bones for Malies, sweets for Ayil, doll sized but prettily painted instruments for Anyk, wine for Laeros, sheaves of wheat tied with strips of fur for Iotl, and bread and candles for Ynis and Umis. At Isemal’s altar, they knelt and prayed in earnest.


Miryil looked up with annoyance as someone intruded on their prayers to lay something on the altar. Esus. “Esus?!” She came off of her knees with a lurch and grabbed hold of the man.


Esus smiled his crooked smile and opened his mouth to speak, but she embraced him and pounded on his back, speaking before he could, “I thought you’d been captured. You…” The blessed of Anyk was standing a short distance away watching with amusement. “How?”


Esus laughed, pulling away, “It’s good to see you too, Miryil.” He grinned and let Erech grab him by the elbow and pull him into an embrace as well. “Erech, my friend.” Miryil watched as he stepped back and held out an arm to Charyic as if she were a bird he expected would fly to him and perch on it. The woman smiled wryly and approached, taking it familiarly and leaning against him as he drew it close to his body.


Erech grinned. “You found her and escaped with her, I’m impressed. More so that she still behaves like one of your birds.”


Miryil saw the annoyed look Charyic gave him. All of the trouble she had caused, she needed to be taken to Isemalrocath, before she could cause more. “She should be gagged, at the very least. And we need to get her to Isemalrocath, immediately.” Miryil returned her glare as the woman’s muddy green eyes shifted to her.


“No gags. We came to give our offerings and we have, and now my beauty is coming with me to Isemalrocath.” She watched Esus stroke the woman’s hair. “We need to arrange a carriage, riding or walking isn’t ideal.” He rested a hand on Charyic’s rounded belly and Miryil’s eyes widened in surprise. She hadn’t noticed it, Charyic’s cloak had hidden it.


“Malav’s?” She inquired with a frown.


The woman responded with a sharp exhale and a tilt of her head.


Esus spoke with a faint smile, “Their union has been dissolved, this child is hers. And whoever she chooses to share it with.” Charyic grinned at him and squeezed his arm.


Miryil snorted, “All you need, Esus, is to take on the the Black Prince’s b*****d and his-” The look in Esus’ eyes made the words die in her mouth. She knew he could be sharp but that look could cut a man in half and leave the edges charred.


Erech laid a hand on her shoulder, “I’ll arrange the carriage, you apologize.”


Miryil turned and gave the grinning man a black look. “You do that.” She turned back to Esus and looked at him with a frown. “I don’t like her. She’s nothing but trouble, but I respect you, Esus. And I apologize for any insult I might have given.”


For a moment she thought Esus wasn’t going to accept it. But Charyic began to make an odd noise with her tongue and teeth, it sounded as if she were trying to be soothing. Miryil looked at her in bafflement and Esus began to smile his crooked smile.


“She accepts your apology, and so do I. I think my beauty might regret trying to kill you.”


The look on Charyic’s face was that of a someone expected to offer an apology she didn’t truly wish to but she shrugged and half smiled at Miryil before holding out her hand and making a common gesture for so-so. Miryil glared at her and the woman began to grin.



© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on August 4, 2017
Last Updated on August 4, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay