Useful

Useful

A Chapter by Isemay

Cerik sat in the cell waiting, he had nothing but time to think. One of the guards had brought him water to wash with and fresh clothes, he didn’t doubt it was on the orders of one of the Lords who had been eager to see Lady Charyic gone.


Lady Charyic looked nothing like his Nessis, but she acted like her, mischievous, passionate, and sweet natured. Seeing and hearing Iskesh again was like having her back for a moment.


And he had watched Malav put her aside as if she were a plaything he had tired of. She had made the man bearable. He had laughed and been pleasant for the first time in years. The Lords, and Malav himself, believed that Lady Charyic was unworthy of the King’s affections, but Cerik was certain they had it wrong.


Nessis had not allowed him to sacrifice himself and his position to save her, but Charyic had not had a choice. There was too much for her to lose. He smiled to himself at the thought of her son being named after him. He doubted she would, but it was a pleasant thought, nonetheless.


He sighed and bowed his head. He hoped she had found her way through, that she could escape with her friend.


The jangle of keys and the scrape of one in the lock brought Cerik out of his thoughts. Lord Varnus entered the cell looking furious but Cerik could see the fear behind it.


“Lord Varnus, an unexpected pleasure.” Cerik kept his voice and face carefully neutral.


“You advised that murderess on the best ways to escape. I’ve been sent to find out all that you advised her.” Varnus’ eyes betrayed his urgency.


“Ah. I sent her down into the tunnel, beyond that I offered her no advice.” Cerik paused holding Varnus’ gaze. “I take it your life is at stake if you do not return her in good condition?”


Varnus seemed to study him. “My head will be mounted on King Malav’s trophy wall if I should fail to find her, or if she should be harmed.”


“He was in a foul mood.” Cerik was almost amused.


“He sent me to interrogate you because you know the woman and what she is capable of. You know her better than the man who married her?”


A smile crossed Cerik’s face. “I do. I had to advise him on how to approach her and how to seduce her. And he still couldn’t keep her.”


“Seduce?” Varnus gaped. “He had to seduce her? Why would he waste the effort?”


Cerik snorted. “Malies offered her to him. She was the blessed of Anyk, more blessed than any in a hundred years and, he said, intended as a gift for Isemal.” He offered up another seed of truth. “Malies is not going to be happy that Malav neglected his duty and lost, not only the staff and songbird, but the child that is owed to him.”


He could see the wheels beginning to turn in Varnus’ mind. “You had the King’s ear. Why did you choose to help the woman instead of your King?”


“Had you known Lady Charyic, seen the way she could light up a room…”


Varnus laughed sharply, “She’s clever. She knew her value and that Malav needed her. She didn’t waste her time on Malav, she seduced you instead.”


Covering his face so that Varnus wouldn’t see his smile, Cerik sighed. “How do you think you’ll fare trying to catch her?” He drew his hands away looking at him speculatively. “She’s quick, a skilled thief who can get in and out of well-guarded chambers, even in her condition. The man who escaped with her can turn himself into a bird and help her choose the best routes from the sky. And there are at least two gods who want her to escape and will favor her efforts, there may be more who choose to do so simply to thwart Malies.”


The wheels began to spin in earnest, Varnus looked as though he was just realizing that his head was going to be mounted on Malav’s wall and there was nothing he could do about it. Cerik returned his face to a neutral expression. All he had to do now was let Lord Varnus think about it for long enough.


“I think,” Varnus paused, considering, “I think having someone who knows her aid in our search would be wise. I’ll have you brought along with us, Cerik. You will make yourself useful?”


“Of course, my lord.” Useful is such a dangerously unspecific word. Cerik smiled grimly as Varnus left to begin making arrangements.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on August 5, 2017
Last Updated on August 5, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay