Dreams

Dreams

A Chapter by Isemay

By the time Esus had finished eating and the Holy Father had heard her tales to his satisfaction Charyic was beyond ready to crawl into bed.


“The baths are this way, my beauty.” Esus guided her through the halls as if he knew his way well.


“I’d rather just rinse off and go to bed.” She grinned impishly at him, “I’d like to be more awake and enjoy a bath with you tomorrow.” She watched his ears start to turn red again.


“You like to tease me.” He grinned back at her and shook his head. “But we both need a good wash before bed.”


Charyic laughed, “It’s your ears, I love watching them turn them red. You blush so easily, I love it.”


Esus brought her through the doorway into the baths, large pools steaming in the torchlight. He wrapped his arms around her and murmured into her ear, “I’d like to see you blush, just once.”


Charyic grinned, feeling her face start to color, “If you keep that up you’ll get to.”


Despite his red ears Esus seemed to have less hesitation getting undressed to bathe. Charyic found herself suddenly nervous, but when she turned and looked at Esus rinsing himself before getting into the warm water, the hopeful, adoring look he gave her was reassuring. She could feel herself blushing as she came closer to rinse off as well.


“My beauty, you look almost shy.” Esus teased gently making her laugh.


“I feel almost shy for some reason.” She smiled wryly as she rinsed, speaking to him over her shoulder. “You weren’t looking at me like that in Luzoron.”


When she turned to join him in the water he had averted his eyes and the expression on his face was uncertain. Charyic sighed softly as she waded into the warm water, joining him with a mischievous smile.


“I-” Esus started to speak but Charyic cut him off with a soft kiss.


“I like the way you look at me.” She let him wrap his arm around her and kiss her almost hungrily. “I’m-”


It was his turn to cut her off, “My beauty, I love you. I can’t look at you any other way.” He took a deep breath and stepped back. “We should bathe and go to bed, we’re both too tired to-”


She began to laugh. Once she started she had trouble stopping, her eyes watered and she wiped at them with her wet hand. It was like Malav in the carriage again, except this time she was Malav. She was more than willing to put aside her tiredness for Esus.


Esus was smiling but he looked confused. Charyic leaned her head on his shoulder, “I love you too, Esus. I am exhausted, but I’m also eager.” Kissing his shoulder longingly she murmured, “I can wait.” She looked up and his eyes were closed. “Did you fall asleep on me?”


He laughed, “No, but if I’m going to have to get out of the water, I need to-” He caught her hand as she moved it down his chest. “That won’t help, my beauty.”


“The water we bathed in the first time was much cooler.” She watched his crooked grin grace his face.


“Bathing with you made me want to never change back. It was perfect.” Esus eyes were sparkling.


“Really? It was better than this?” She teased, stepping back to splash him.


Laughter rang through the large room as they splashed water at each other and sent water spilling across the floor. She was still giggling as they got out and pulled on the light robes that had been left where their clothes had been.


Esus guided her to their room and she sank into the bed feeling almost drunk on the mix of tiredness and happiness. She was asleep almost as soon as she lay down.


The sunlight was just beginning to filter through the windows as she woke to her shoulder being kissed. She grinned and sighed happily turning to kiss Esus and looked up into Malav’s eyes instead. She woke with a start. It was still dark, but Esus wasn’t in bed next to her.


“Esus?” Charyic whispered. Receiving no answer she called louder, “Esus?”


“Esus is asleep.” A voice came out of the darkness almost soothingly. “I wished to speak with you again.”


She shivered, “Malav? How?”


The laughter in the dark made her sit up straighter and turn to face the voice with curiosity. “Your Grimness? Why would you want to speak to me?”


“You’re more at ease with me than your husband?” His voice was amused.


With a frown, she shook her head and spoke, “He intended to kill me after I bore his child, so that he could marry that-that Lady.” She spat the word. “Planning to kill me was the same as agreeing to dissolve the union, and I gave him my agreement carved on her face.” Charyic rubbed her face. “I probably shouldn’t have. Paper would have done. Then he would still have a wife to pay his debt with. I do apologize for that.”


“Ah. I approved of the way you used the staff. And of the message you left.” There was a pause, “I would have you leave another.”


“Who would you have me deliver it to and how would you like it delivered?” She asked carefully.


“You seem more willing to carry a message for me than for Anyk.” His voice was definitely pleased.


“Anyk didn’t ask. And truthfully, I’m more inclined to be polite to you than to her, I’ve spent my whole life thinking poorly of her and it takes time to change that.” Charyic shrugged with some chagrin.


“I haven’t asked, either.” He was using Malav’s voice and she could almost see the smug twist of Malav’s lips as he spoke.


“I misunderstood. I thought I was free to refuse.” She tried to school her face to cool impassivity as Cerik had striven to teach her.


“You would be one of the very few willing to choose to obey.” The voice was soothing once more. “But you are not one of mine. Iskus has always had the most loyal of servants, I sometimes envy him.”


She couldn’t keep from smiling at that. “We’re loyal out of love.” Charyic grinned impishly, “And for the good luck.”


“Love and luck.” He sounded annoyed and amused.


“I’m not entirely sure why, but I’m rather fond of you, your Grimness.” She smiled into the dark. “Whether it was Belasenden, or lifting the curse even though I didn’t have anything approaching the value of the offerings I leave for the King of Fools to give to you... I wouldn’t have minded having my first born dedicated to you to settle Malav’s debt. Carrying a message for you is something I would be willing to do even if I didn’t feel like I’ve taken something from you by leaving Malav without a wife.”


“When you wake, go to Ayil’s altar in Isemalrocath, the message will come unbidden.” He sounded thoughtful.


“Is there any particular offering I should find on the way?”


“You’ll know it when you see it. But you may have to steal it.” She could hear in his voice that he was enjoying this.


“I will do my best not to disappoint you.” She gave him her most impish grin and felt the dark brush against her face.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on August 12, 2017
Last Updated on August 12, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay