Task

Task

A Chapter by Isemay

“Holy Father?” His steward held several sheets of paper in his hands as he approached. “You asked for the pantries to be inventoried and there has been a… mystery uncovered.” He offered the papers with a hint of a smile. “The kitchen staff wish it to be known that they have not been pilfering the bars of melting chocolate. The box was still locked when the head cook opened it to count them.”


The Holy Father couldn’t help but give a quiet laugh. “The lock might have been what enticed her. I will speak to our little thief, and you can reassure the kitchen staff that I am aware of their guiltlessness.” He rubbed his temples. “Have Ivhir bring her, and Esus.”


He looked over the lists as he waited, they were well stocked for the moment, but it wouldn’t last long if they took in refugees. Scouts were needed to learn how close Malav was and how much time they had to bring in more food. He wished fervently that he had more scouts like Esus who could fly above the advancing army safely and bring back news without getting caught. Very few had ever been given such gifts and, unless there were some among the acolytes who were to be blessed and brought into the Order, Esus was the only one he had.


The knock a the door brought him from his thoughts. “Enter.”


Ivhir, Esus, and Charyic were ushered in and the door closed behind them. Looking at the three he felt the stirring of amusement within. The way Charyic stayed latched onto Esus arm as if he were holding her jesses both pleased and amused Isemal.


“You’ve been in the pantries with our lovely bird, Esus.” He let the Light Bringer see his annoyed amusement.


From Esus’ slightly guilty look he was certain the man was aware of the theft. “Yes, Holy Father, it was the middle of the night and she was hungry.” Esus looked apologetic, “I should have kept a better eye on her.” Charyic, he noted, was grinning.


“You didn’t discourage her when she brought out the melting chocolates?” The Holy Father frowned.


“He called me a thieving magpie.” The girl’s answer was given quickly, the Holy Father leaned forward on his elbows. “But the salt pork and gravy needed a little something else and I didn’t see anything else that appealed to me.” Charyic’s bright smile was almost disarming.


“You saw the bars through the locked box?” He asked dryly.


“Why would you have a locked box if you didn’t intend for me to open it?” Her eyes were practically sparkling with mischief.


“Locked boxes are usually an indication that someone wants people to stay out of them.” Ivhir muttered under his breath. Charyic did not look apologetic.


“If you’d like I can go into the market and find some more to replace the ones I’ve borrowed.”


“Thievery is not permitted in the City of Light.” The Holy Father chided her gently.


“I’d let you lend me the money if you insisted.” Her impish grin only widened as Esus covered his face with his free hand.


“She is exhausting, Esus. If you wish a few hours away from her, for your sanity, it can be arranged.” The Holy Father made the offer coolly and it had the intended effect, the grin wiped itself from her face. The sharp look in her eyes was very reminiscent of a bird of prey when she wasn’t acting like a fool.


“That won’t be necessary, Holy Father. But, I would like to take her to see the puzzle box from Alaimel, I think it might help to keep her out of trouble.” Esus was stroking the girl’s hand as he spoke and she looked interested at the mention of the puzzle box.


The Holy Father gave a curt nod and allowed himself a faint smile. “If she can get it open I will consider that payment and penance.”  He paused, “Ivhir, take Charyic out for just a moment, I need to speak with Esus.”


“No.” Charyic’s glare could draw blood.


“My beauty,” Esus began murmuring to her as Ivhir moved to take hold of her other arm.


“When I give an order, little thief-” He blinked as she released Esus’ arm and turned on Ivhir, delivering a sharp blow to his abdomen and a kick to his knee almost at the same time. His armor protected him from the blow but the kick almost made him stumble. The taller man nearly leapt backward as she pulled a small knife from her sleeve.


Esus wrapped his arms around her tightly and took hold of the hand holding the knife. “I thought you had left that in our room, my beauty. Ivhir is a friend.”


“I am not going to allow anyone to pull you away, Esus.” The girl was sincere, and clearly still dangerous even in her condition.


“You were given to Isemal.” The Holy Father stood. “You will obey my orders.”


Charyic looked at him with a mirthless smile. “I was given to Isemal. When he gives a command I will obey it, you I feel no compulsion to obey.”


He could feel the amusement again and when he spoke it was not his own voice. “You will obey?” Esus and Ivhir looked awed and humbled, Charyic looked as though she were speaking to a friend.


“Yes. He’d be disappointed if I didn’t.” He watched her smile looking him in the eye, and felt the slow smile spreading across his face.


“I prefer not to speak as directly as Wyil. Listen to the Holy Father. I will not have you parted from Esus for long.”


An impish grin broke over her face, “I will listen.”


He heard the laughter, “Mischievous girl. Listen and obey.”


“As you wish.” She inclined her head with a smile.


The feeling of watching from inside himself faded. “Put the knife away and step outside, Charyic.”


She nodded slipping it back into her sleeve and gave Esus a kiss before moving toward the door. Once she had stepped outside he sat and rubbed his face. “He is fond of her. How and why I have not been given to understand.”


Ivhir laughed, “He loves Ayil. How different is she from Charyic?”


The Holy Father looked up with amusement, “That may not be far from the truth.” A thought occurred to him. “She’s accustomed to speaking to Wyil. It may be why speaking with Isemal and Malies seems to come so naturally to her. Esus, I would ask you to make her understand how rare and-” The little fool was peering in the door with a pleased smile.


“I’m aware, I think.” She stepped back in and leaned on the door. “If I understood correctly, gods all have their ways but they can either speak often or clearly. The more they speak the fewer people can understand.”


“Was Isemal’s command unclear?” Esus and Ivhir flinched at his tone.


“No. Yours was. Step outside. Do I stay there? Do I wander around while I wait? Do I come back in when I get bored?” Her green-gold eyes were glittering.


“Go back to your room and remain there until Esus returns to fetch you.” The Holy Father watched as she smiled mirthlessly and inclined her head. “In the future, obey the spirit of the command. I have no doubt you understood it.” He watched as she struggled not to grin and slipped back out of the room.


“She’s unprotected, Holy Father.” Esus’ almost accusatory tone took him by surprise.


“She can take care of herself, Esus. Anyone who mistakes her for helpless is going to have a very bad time.” The taller man squeezed his shoulder reassuringly.


“Nonetheless, this should be done quickly.” The Holy Father remembered clearly that Esus should not be parted from her for long. “I require your skills, Esus. We need a scout to discover where Malav’s army is and how long we have until they arrive.” In the space of a breath, Esus was speaking.


“Malav is bringing his army? Why has King Iotav not stopped him?” He had forgotten Esus had not been kept apprised of the news.


“I have kept the news from you so that you could do the things you needed to do as far as Charyic is concerned. Malav has taken Cearazon and sacked Gaelel. You should already be aware that Malies intends him to come here to reclaim the woman he regards as his wife, and the child Malies requires.”


Esus nodded slowly. “I should go now. It’s too important to put off.” The Holy Father saw the look the man gave to Ivhir.


“She will be looked after. I expect him to be close, you will not be gone for long. Be careful, Esus.”


Esus bowed and turned for the door, leaving Ivhir.


“Are there any questions burning in your mind?” The Holy Father asked with amusement at the curious expression on the pale man’s face.


“Was what she said true? About the gods?”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on September 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 4, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay