The shrine

The shrine

A Chapter by Isemay

If there were more thieves among the women taken by Malav’s soldiers they were choosing not to reveal themselves. Cerik didn’t blame them. All they knew was that Silosyil had been brought among the dead soldiers and then vanished, and now a replacement was being sought. At least he managed to find a woman who could sew the cloth into something ‘suitable’ for Malav’s dead priestess. Though the woman had been profoundly unhappy about taking the measurements.


Cerik knew with absolute certainty that if Malav continued like this he would have no hope of winning Lady Charyic back. He took it upon himself to try to temper Malav’s seeming madness. He ordered the statues of the gods to be covered respectfully and carried by the living, once they left Gaelel.


On the plain by the Oryr road, Cerik noticed the men had been praying and leaving little offerings once they’d established camp and he made it a point to try to pray as well. The men would feel more comfortable knowing someone in a position of power had respect for the gods.


The Generals who had accompanied the army from Luzoron and Cearazon were still hesitant to accept Malav’s raising of a servant to the rank of Lord of Luzoron, but they appreciated his efforts. The more he came to mitigate Malav’s estrangement from the living, the more they would approve of the appointment, Cerik was certain. To speed this he took pains to conduct himself as he had always wished Malav to, with grace and charm, and managed to overhear it being suggested by some of the soldiers that he might have been a lord’s b*****d. Blood will out, it was quietly agreed.


While Cerik had been concerning himself with the living soldiers, Malav had been tramping through the woods with the dead. He had believed he could find the shrine easily, he claimed he had seen it. He had looked for it for two days and had started to insist it must have been moved. Cerik gently suggested he would have better luck if he had living eyes to assist. It had earned him a glare but after a few moment's consideration, he was commanded to arrange a search party.


In the morning, the search began anew. Malav had told them they were looking for a campsite, it wouldn’t be far from it that they would find a hollow tree trunk with the statuette and offerings strewn on the ground. To Cerik’s chagrin, the men found several campsites. Around each one he ordered a thorough search of the trees for markings or hollows. On the second day of this, the cry went up.


One of the men had found a hollowed tree with coins, a few jewels, and other small offerings half buried in the leaves at its base. The statuette, however, had been removed. Malav was incensed and ordered the men to search the woods looking for whoever might have taken it. Through the trees, Cerik saw the large bird peering down from his perch.


“My King!” Cerik raised his arm and pointed at the bird now taking flight.


Malav swore in the Luzor tongue. “Where are the archers? I want that bird brought to me, and look for my wife, if he is here she may be as well.”


The pursuit of the bird began and Cerik realized perhaps an hour later that the bird was leading them on a chase deliberately. If the Light Bringers or Lady Charyic had come up behind them and stolen the statuette, they would be making their escape with it, either to Anykrocath or to Lallareth. He ordered the pursuit stopped and gave orders to send men along the road to Anykrocath and back to Lallareth.


They looked at him nervously, King Malav had given orders. He reassured them, he would take the censure, their priority must be to find the statuette. Cerik returned to Malav with the word of the ploy and his change of the orders.


To his surprise, Malav had ordered his narrow cot to be replaced with a larger bed and was overseeing the construction.


“My King?” Cerik began curiously.


“I would have my wife next to me, Cerik. Has she been found?” Malav’s face was hopeful and his eyes were somehow brighter.


He deeply regretted being the one to have to deliver the bad news. “No, my King. I called off the search for the bird and your wife, though, I have no doubt that if she is found she will be brought.” He paused taking in the darkening of Malav’s eyes and he explained quickly, “It was a ploy, to keep us from catching the ones who took the statuette. I’ve sent men ahead toward Anykrocath and back toward Lallareth.”


Malav scowled, recognizing the truth of it. “Had it been any other Light Bringer, I would have seen it.” The King looked at Cerik speculatively. “It took you an hour?”


“I was eager to catch him and discover if he had truly brought Lady Charyic so close. Her belly was growing quite round when last I saw her. It wouldn’t have been wise to bring her, she may be slowing by now.”


His King smiled wistfully. “It didn’t seem to slow her much at all in Luzoron. She’s so small it’s easy to forget she isn’t weak or helpless. Even if my son is as slight as she is, I know to expect a great deal from him.”


“Truly, my King.” Cerik couldn’t help but smile at the thought of the Prince being taught by his mother. “It will be interesting to see if she tries to teach him her trade skills.”


Malav laughed, seeming to forget for a moment that he had been given disappointing news. “I think I will allow it. I may have her teach me how to get in and out of my own castles without being noticed.”


“She would enjoy that, I have no doubt.”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on September 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 4, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay