Not his brother

Not his brother

A Chapter by Isemay

Silosyil remembered what grandfather had said as she watched Ayred draw himself up and give orders to Lutius and Aramen. A brother’s not his brother. He looked a lot like Malav but he didn’t carry himself the same way. He looked as though he were trying to be regal when he attempted to command his men. Malav had looked as though he were a hair’s breadth from having everyone killed if they dared refuse.


Lutius and Aramen were not about to allow the only sane heir to their throne to risk his life for a thief’s shrine. No matter how high in the air he pushed his chin.


“Look. Do you want Malav to win or not.” She finally interjected. All three turned to look at her. “The priestess of Ayil was clear. It has to be Ayred. The longer we argue the more dangerous this gets. You’re welcome to come and help keep him safe, but he has to help me try to get the shrine.” It was only a little lie. She hadn’t been crystal clear, but better safe than sorry.


She felt a little smug at Ayred’s annoyance when they gave in after her interruption.


They set out shortly thereafter, traveling along the wooded side of the river away from the armies. Silosyil knew there had to be a ford somewhere once the forest resumed on the other side, no thief would take that road unless they had no other choice.


“You keep moving forward without looking up or around to judge your direction,” Lutius spoke with quiet concern as they stopped for a rest.


“I can’t explain why, but I know where I’m going.” She shrugged giving the man a half smile. To her it felt much like the need to get to Lallareth, she wanted to push them faster. “Is there any way we can travel faster?”


Aramen looked at her gave a nod and Lutius volunteered, “We’re stopping for you, women have trouble with this kind of exertion.”


She snorted. “I dictate the stops? Then let’s get up and moving, and you boys need to pick up your feet.” She pushed ahead at her own pace listening as they tried to keep up, not stopping again until night was beginning to fall.


Their lagging behind gave her time to find some good trees that would do for sleeping. Silosyil went back to them and quietly told them she’d found trees to sleep in for the night and Ayred looked at her as if she were insane.


“What do you mean?” She could hear how tired and annoyed he was.


“I mean, you don’t want to sleep on the ground here. Come on, it’s not far.” The darkness was getting oppressive by the time she got Ayred into the tree after making him a bed of sorts. Lutius and Aramen insisted they would stay on the ground and keep a watch even after she told them there were things they couldn’t defend themselves from. Idiots. She was too tired to argue.


She climbed into her own and curled around the trunk, she would have liked to use more branches but she’d spent too much time trying to make Ayred’s tree into something he would trust to sleep on. She remembered when her father had taught her how to build a bird’s nest as he called it. She shivered and sighed.


Ayred started muttering about being cold and uncomfortable and she snapped. “For pity’s sake, your highness. Are you such a delicate flower that you can’t spend the night in something other than a bed without complaining?”


“Are you not cold?” He hissed.


She gritted her teeth. His perch was sturdy enough for two and it would be warmer. She came out of her tree and stomped over to his, glaring at Lutius and Aramen. “If Malav were as soft as his brother this war would be over tomorrow.” She hoisted herself into the tree as Aramen coughed.


Ayred held himself stiff around the tree trunk and she jabbed him in the side, “Move.” He pulled back from the tree trunk as if he were getting up and she snapped at him again, “Lay back down.” She took her position against the tree trunk and he positioned himself behind her. It was warmer at least.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on September 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 4, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay