Joined

Joined

A Chapter by Isemay

Esus helped Zius pack up his birds and send messages to Anykrocath and Isemalrocath before he left. A hand cart wasn’t ideal for the old man, but it was all that could be found. He put Zius on the road toward the Minasmer Mountains, out of Malav’s path, and told him to go as far as he could.


He took flight from the ground behind the tower and stayed low among the treetops. He perched for the night in the top to a tree and felt a twinge of guilt for having left Charyic for so long. She would be safe in Isemalrocath, the Holy Father would see to it, but he doubted she would be happy. Malav had said she had a temper to match his, Esus had never seen her quite that angry but he might get the opportunity if he stayed away too long. He needed to get back to his beauty as soon as he could.


At the first lightening of the sky, Esus was moving again, looking below for movement. Movement he found. Malav’s troops had their eyes glued to the ground hunting for the shrine no doubt. And a short distance away he found Ayred and his guards, as well as the thief Zius said would be with them. Ayred was carrying a small but heavy object, a statuette.


They weren’t nearly far away enough when the cry went up that someone had found the place that the shrine should be. Esus took up a perch nearby and stared down willing someone to look up. He waited impatiently as Malav and his servant arrived and looked at the hollow, and Malav gave the order Esus knew he would.


He briefly considered flying low over their heads but the King’s servant suddenly obliged by looking up and raising the alarm. Esus took flight immediately leading them away from the small group as best he could. He kept away from Malav’s men but didn’t let them fall too far behind. The servant realized the ploy well before Esus wanted him to, but with no one to chase him he could fly higher and find the fleeing Prince and his entourage.


When he found them, they had crossed the river and were moving parallel to the road toward Gaelel. Not going back to Lallareth was wise, even though Zius had been planning to wait for them. Esus stayed high and made certain there was no pursuit before joining them as they stopped to rest.


Heads turned as he touched down and began to change, Ayred and one of his guards drew swords the other was slumped against a tree. The thief backed away, protecting the statuette and drew a small knife.


“I mean you no harm, and I have no intention of taking away your knife or your statue little thief.” Esus smiled wryly and the men lowered their swords. “If he’s injured I can help.”


“You’re naked.” Ayred looked at him distrustfully.


“He’s a Light Bringer.” The thief hissed.


“I can see that.” Ayred snapped at her. “Why is he naked and how can a naked man be of any assistance?”


“He’s a Light Bringer.” The guard said emphatically. “Please, whatever you need.”


Esus approached the injured man, “What happened?” He began to murmur and brought his hand to the wound as Ayred spoke.


“One of my brother’s soldiers was quicker and more clever than we expected. He saw me and hesitated and that was the only thing that spared Lutius. Aramen was able to kill the man and we managed to get this far, but Lutius can’t go much further.”


Lutius groaned and Esus paused, “I need him to lie flat. This isn’t as bad as the mauling Charyic got from the bear but it should have been dealt with sooner. Had I known I wouldn’t have waited for you to stop.”


“So you were just watching.” The woman sneered.


“I led them away from you for an hour and tried to make as certain as I could that no one was following closely enough to see me.” Esus looked at her pointedly. “So I wouldn’t give away your position.” He resumed his healing as soon as the man was lying flat.


Esus rubbed his face blearily when he had finished. “He’ll be weak and should be carried if at all possible for a day at least.”


“Thank you.” Ayred looked at him with something Esus thought might be gratitude. “Will you stay with us?”


“Ayred!” The woman hissed at him angrily.


Shaking his head and laughing, Esus answered. “I have to rest before I can take flight again. I have my own thief waiting for me who will be much angrier at my tardiness than you are at my presence.”


“Charyic, my brother’s wife?” Ayred inquired curiously.


“She’s not his wife.” Esus answered, “He wanted to kill her after she bore his child so that he could marry another. She didn’t appreciate that, my beauty has a temper.”


The way the thief shuddered made Esus look at her with concern.


“That walking nightmare thinks he can make her forgive him. He claims he loves her. Are you-are you the Light Bringer he said Ayil is having her sing love songs to?” The thief looked at him a little less angrily.


“Esus. Yes.” He smiled.


“Silosyil. Grandfather said, ‘Trouble loves the true heart.’”


Looking at her intently, Esus asked, “Did he say anything else?”


She grinned impishly, “Of course.”


He couldn’t help but return her grin, “My Charyic would like you.”


“Cerik thought the same.” Her smile faded. “We should get moving.”


“Agreed.” Esus stood and looked to Aramen and Ayred, “Carry him.” He looked back to Silosyil,  “Can you carry the statuette?” She nodded. “You’ve been moving parallel to the road to Gaelel, it’s a wise move. I suggest continuing.”


“What would we have ever done without you?” Silosyil hoisted the statuette and gave him a dirty look.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on September 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 4, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay