Slipped away

Slipped away

A Chapter by Isemay

Ivhir woke with the sudden realization that the room was too quiet. And too cold. He stirred from his cot and realized at once that the window was wide open and that Charyic was not in her bed. A glance at the door told him she hadn’t opened it, the basin was still flush against it.


“The scaffolding, that idiot!” He muttered and moved to the window to look out. She wasn’t lying at the bottom in a heap, at least she had made it down safely. He moved back to his cot, checking for her knife wrapped under the far side of his blankets. She hadn’t taken it. He reached for his own under the cot and found only the empty sheath still wrapped around the leg of the cot.


He slammed the empty sheath against the floor. A little voice in the back of his mind whispered that she had warned him. Muttering about her stupidity and thieving ways, he stormed out of the room to find the Holy Father. Ivhir found him sitting with his head bowed at his desk, frowning, looking almost as if he were in pain.


“Holy Father?” Ivhir spoke quietly.


His head came up quickly, “Is she ready?”


“She’s gone. She stole my knife and left through the window sometime in the night.” The look of pain hadn’t entirely faded from the Holy Father’s face, “Is something wrong?”


“Other than the fact you let her take your weapon and slip away in the night?” The sharp words sounded more bitter than angry.


Ivhir stood silently looking at him with concern. “She’ll come back, you told her she could go to the baths and the temple.”


“I also told her no stealing.” He rubbed his face.


“After Isemal gave his command?” Ivhir pointedly inquired.


The Holy father gave a tired laugh. “She would make that distinction.” He looked at Ivhir, “Why did she take it?”


“I wouldn’t give her her own knife back.” Ivhir rubbed his head and frowned. “She said she needed an offering for Ayil.”


A smile crossed the Holy Father’s face, “You’ll get it back then. Ayil won’t accept a stolen Light Bringer’s weapon.”


“That does mean she’ll have to steal something else,” Ivhir said thoughtfully. “If she gets caught…”


“Find her.” The Holy Father rose from his seat. “Something changed in the night, I was permitted to feel it, but not to see it.”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay