Rumor

Rumor

A Chapter by Isemay

Two months and Vennius had still not been able to get Charyic to speak with him, alone or otherwise. She had not been back to the markets, and he would know if she had. Anyone would crow about it if she so much as entered their shop. The way she had lavishly spent and praised on her last visit, as well as had the Holy Father’s ear, made her the most sought after patron in the city. He was envied for having regular orders for her even though she never came herself to get them.


He had managed to learn through his hireling, Auryic, that it wasn’t the Holy Father that Charyic was bedding, but one of the Light Bringers. The one she called Erech was friends with him and Charyic was supposedly treated like a queen, but that was all she had managed to pry out of the thin lipped man, that and the fact he thought ‘Nyvor’ was untrustworthy.


It was getting more difficult and more expensive to make confections on the supplies that were still making their way into the city. Refugees had filled the city beyond what anyone had expected it to be able to hold. Some from Gaelel, some from other holds nearer the Cearazon border. From the information, he had gathered most were fleeing toward the Minasmer Mountains and Alaimel. Some remained in camps in the woods around Gaelel, thieves mostly. Those who came here believed that Isemal would be able to protect them, and some even begged to be allowed to help defend the city.


There were also rumors that an army was coming from Anykrocath or Alaimel. Rumors Vennius dismissed. Women and children had been plundered from Alaimel until relatively recently, any King that required a treaty with border lords to protect his people wasn’t in a position to give aid against an army like Malav’s. And what did Anykrocath have? An army of songbirds? Vennius snorted at the thought.


No. Malav would eventually overrun this city. Even if he had to wait until people began to starve to death to do it. They wouldn’t be able to burn the dead quickly enough once he stood outside the gates. What Vennius needed was access to Charyic. He stared at the wall wracking his brain hunting for a way to draw her out.


“Master Nyvor?” Auryic spoke tentatively from the doorway. When he looked up she continued. “The confections for Lady Charyic are ready.”


He smiled. “Thank you, Auryic.” A note slipped in with her sweets might do.




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on September 11, 2017
Last Updated on September 11, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay