Faith

Faith

A Chapter by Isemay

“We may need you again soon, Esus.” The Holy Father looked apologetic but Esus heard what sounded like a note of excitement in his voice. “We’ve had word from Alaidin. King Ellamar is willing to lend us assistance. The Keam himself has negotiated for his aid, but we must keep him far enough back that Malav will not be aware of his advance. I will need a scout in the sky above who can deliver messages as well.”


Esus nodded thoughtfully. “Of course, Holy Father. Has Malav begun his advance?”


“Not yet. When he does he may find things have… changed somewhat.” The Holy Father smiled fiercely. “I hadn’t expected him to give us so much time to prepare.”


Thinking of preparations Esus had to ask, “Do you know what happened to the shrine and Ayred? Malav will be hunting for the shrine if not his brother. And Ayred will need to be kept safe to assume the throne if Malav falls.”


When Malav falls.” The Holy Father rested a hand on his shoulder reassuringly. “Ayil chose you for a reason. I do believe you’ve managed to steal a thief’s heart.”


“It was given to me.” Esus shook his head, echoing Isemal's words to Charyic. “Erech is still convinced that there is something in the song that needs to be understood before we can know what choice she’ll make.”


“You’ve been speaking with Erech?” The older man frowned and glanced back down the hall. “Ivhir was told you were not to be disturbed.”


“Ametel likes to take Charyic walking by the reflecting pool when she has time. It’s good for her, and it gives me time to speak to Ivhir and Erech.” Esus glanced back down the hall himself. Charyic didn’t like to be away from him for long, but she enjoyed getting out of the room and she adored Ametel.


Shaking his head, the Holy Father sighed, “The thief obeys better than my Light Bringers.” He looked at Esus sharply. “If you feel she needs to be out of her room, and you would prefer to spend your time with Ivhir and Erech, perhaps it is time to fully return you to your duties.”


Esus swallowed, his heart beating faster, “Charyic doesn’t like to be away from me for long.” He bowed his head before lifting his eyes to meet the Holy Father’s displeased gaze. “If you lift her confinement and remove me from her side you may find her in places you didn’t expect her and would prefer she not be.”


“Ametel can share the duty of looking after her and her guards will serve to keep her out of trouble. I doubt she can get into much trouble with her belly as round as it is.” The Holy Father smiled at his own amused observation, but Esus shook his head and frowned.


“Holy Father, I think you underestimate my Charyic.” The words came out slightly sharper than he intended and the Holy Father raised his eyebrows.


“I suppose we’ll find out.” The man’s eyes closed for a moment for a moment and he winced before smiling ruefully. “Isemal agrees with you. You may be called on for some duties, not for full duty.”


Bowing, Esus spoke quietly, “I’ll take her to the temple today in thanks.”


“That will require me to come with you. She gets their attention and he wants to know what’s said.”


“Why?” Esus looked at him curiously. “She’s brightly blessed, but why?”


The Holy Father laughed and his lips twisted. “She was laid at the feet of the King of fools when she was born. Did she say her parents were devout?”


“No. She said her siblings all died hours or days after birth and her father grabbed her as soon as she was born and took her, still bloody, to lay at the feet of the King of Fools with a pouch of jewels.” He remembered the look on her face as she had told the story, the way she had rubbed her belly, “When she told me, she said her father told him, ‘Just let her keep this one. That’s all I’ll ever ask.’ I think she’d heard the story told many times.”


“She grew knowing Wyil as the one who saved her and spared her parent's pain. It’s a powerful hold and her faith is absolute. Even Light Bringers have hints of doubts they would never dare voice. Malav and I sometimes falter and fail. I think the most she’s ever done is ask if they were certain. She’s done as she was told, followed every command spoken and hinted at.” The look of envy on the Holy Father’s face was startling. “They want that faith for themselves. Faith and love have power.”


Esus furrowed his brow and frowned. Gods were the ones with power. They shaped the world and people’s lives, that was why they were worshipped. “I don’t…”


The Holy Father smiled with chagrin and grasped Esus’ shoulder. “All power has limits, but love and absolute faith have none.”




© 2017 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on September 27, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017
Tags: fantasy, original, royalty, priests, prophecy

Song

Cry

By Isemay

Joy

By Isemay

Go

By Isemay


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay