I need a drink for this discussion.

I need a drink for this discussion.

A Chapter by Island Hippy



I studied the map closely, my husbands broad frame leaning over mine. A calloused hand skimming the map. Landing on Congo.

"There it is babe" I stared expressionless my mind trying to comprehend the distance.

Just barely past newly married we were about to embark on a journey into some discovery chanel documentary. Pages yet to be written.

--

We met in October. Lani worked as an engineer, kanaka born and haole raised in San Diego. He studied and carved out a career designing and building concrete jungles for greedy people with more money than sense.

In a Honolulu coffee shack I found myself staring at his stupid smile. Every morning, the same time he'd swagger in, a black coffee and a fresh Hawaiian roll to go. Fruitlessly he'd make small talk while I prepared his coffee before disappearing to the monstrosity he called work. Another ugly a*s resort polluting the declining shore line. I detested it, and that stupid f*****g smile.

Tai whistled long and low as he wiped the front counter. "That boy is kolohe, and you in trouble girl" he teased a smirk on his lips.

I glared at him and gritted my teeth, f**k, I knew he was right.

Six months later we were saying our I do's.

A simple wedding in Lahaina. On the shore of a well guarded secret away from tourist eyes. We exchanged vows no fancy suits or lavish gowns just a couple dreamers who were all in. Before ohana our lives changed forever. We greeted the night island style with food music and laughter.

Two weeks later I found myself at the check-in. My life had been stuffed into the grand total of three cases and a board bag. Finally after long drawn out teary good byes I boarded a flight to San Diego with my husband. I was exhausted once we were seated, I was excited but there was a mourning inside that drained me. I slept the majority of the 5 1/2 hour flight my right hand firmly held in another.

Life in San Diego was a massive social and cultural shift. Scared didn't even come close to the way I felt in those initial days. Island time couldn't be further from the regimented way of life in this new eden. I called home twice a week I told myself it was for their benefit but it was more for mine. I loved life with Lani but I missed the five - o.

After two months of playing Mary- homemaker, things started to come together. I took a job as a preschool teacher and quickly made friends. I had made strides and settled into the swing of things.

Lani worked long hours on a new condo development, life was busy but home became our peaceful end to the day.

--

It was a filthy hot summer day, a Wednesday when Lani came home unusually early. With a mile wide smile he strolled into the kitchen, straight to the fridge for a beer. He leaned over and gave me a kiss before taking a seat at the kitchen island. I looked at him puzzled and intrigued at the same time.

"So, what's up?" I tried hard to sound nonchalant.

He skulled half his beer then smiled at me again, another big smile the kind that made me instantly suspicious.

"Howzit, good day babe?" he said in between skulls. I just stared waiting for further explanation.

"So how do you feel about Congo?" his expression turned from playful to thoughtful and rather serious.

"What, Congo, what's this about Larnz?"

He leaned over and grabbed my hands soothing my growing concern.

"Trust me?" he looked at me with soft sincere eyes.

"Ae, of course, you know I trust you Larnz but give a girl a clue for god sake." He pulled me toward him, I rounded the island and took a seat.

"Babe lets go to Congo."

It sounded f*****g ridiculous but his eyes were dead serious. I sighed and pulled away heading for the fridge. I needed a drink for this discussion.




© 2017 Island Hippy


Author's Note

Island Hippy
Honest feedback appreciated, just testing the water.

Kanaka - Hawaiian born
Haole - Western way
Kolohe - Rascal
Howzit - Island slang can be used as a general greeting.
Ohana - family
Five o - slang for Hawaii (50th state)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

well.... its a memoir that can be more .. i think you do a good job of "showing" rather than "telling" .. i like your "characters" so far ... you both sound interesting and likable in your give and take ... i wanted to read more ... clicked the next chapter but it is in the works eh!? how exciting...a trip to the Congo of all places ... i'm all full of wondering ma'am!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Personally - I didn't need the translations - but that's just me. Read like a blog - if that helps. Left a smile of a deeper understanding IF that helps as well.

Warning though - History REPEATS itself and we don't remain "first-timers"

Posted 6 Years Ago


Chris

6 Years Ago

One additional note about WC:

If you Blog here ONLY those on your Friend List can see.. read more
Island Hippy

6 Years Ago

Mahalo that is helpful to know
Chris

6 Years Ago

Some "places" come with "Welcome Here" package and some places really need one...
A interesting conversation. Travel into Africa. Always dangerous. I liked the read life feel and I recommend a trip to Bazel, Switzerland. No wild beast, spiders or snakes. Thank you Izzy for sharing your words and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Island Hippy

6 Years Ago

Aloha John, really appreciate your comment. This is based on my life (and my husband) we've worked f.. read more
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I hope he does. It would be a wonderful book.
Aloha Izzy,
You're writing is fine, the pace of your opener is fast. A lot happened in a short time without much details. This works if you use your opening as a prologue and plan to fill in later.
Small side stories about the six months before the wedding and background info on the two main characters will build depth and let your readers make their own opinions on this couple. Also it lends to adding minor characters that flesh out the story and broaden the landscape.
I fee you will be fine as you are a talented writer. Take your time, don't rush the story, let it come to you.
Blessings,
Richie b.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Island Hippy

6 Years Ago

Aloha Richie, I'm very grateful for your review. I had hoped for a bit of direction and critical fee.. read more
richieb

6 Years Ago

You are welcome Izzy and I look forward to reading your story.
.. read more
This is a great guy. He gets a globe of the world, and sticks a pin in it. Though i notice they're always hot countries. Hope the ride lasts for ever. If he ever mentions North Pole. Dump him. lol

Posted 6 Years Ago


Island Hippy

6 Years Ago

Aloha Paul, lol... it's been a good ride so far. I really appreciate you reading this :) Mahalo
Intriguing with well developed scene setting. Smoothly written and an easy read Izzy.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Island Hippy

6 Years Ago

Mahalo John, greatly appreciate your time and encouragement.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2017
Last Updated on May 14, 2017


Author

Island Hippy
Island Hippy

Maui, Hawai’i



About
Kalani & Skipper’s mom. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heartache Heartache

A Poem by Gee