the ... L  Word

the ... L Word

A Poem by J. Hampton

 

As I child I spent lazy summer afternoons in a field,by the river behind my Grandparents house.  I lay on my back endlessly plucking wildflowers petal by petal…"  He loves me " …" He loves me not "

Real Love does not fluctuate, cannot be ripped from ones' heart. Nor does it stop ,when someone lets us down ( again) ,or hurts our feelings….it just doesn't quit,it is not revocable.!!

Did your parents throw you out of the house when you lied…fought…broke something, or failed a class?…. Would you stop loving your kids if they came home pregnant, got locked up …chose a hairstyle, fashion, sexual orientation or religion that you were against???

Do we consider divorcing our spouse over hair loss/ weight gain, denting the car, snoring, or severe health problems? Do we put our house on the market when our neighbors' leaves continually blow over that property line…or their dog does his business on our sidewalk?

Should we quit our job at the first sign of injustice ,…when someone else gets that promotion, or over conflicts with Bosses, coworkers or customers ??

No….LOVE is based on COMMITMENT not feelings……or circumstances  They change !!!!!

Shhhhhhhhh….( our children are watchin')…Lets Not continue raising a generation of " quitters", following our trail of broken relationships,…unkept commitments and unfinished business,….whose "word" means…JACK !!

If you let circumstances or feelings determine your level of commitment ~

 ( you'll never make or keep one ) – or determine your level of Love ( you'll never find it) !!!

If we let day-to-day things start  affecting  the heart we have for the people we "claim" to Love…

Well…. what kind of Parents ,Husbands,Wives or friends would we be ???

People WILL… fall short ,…act ignorant, and  show their behinds ...regularly ,but…..

What if God quit on us when we fall short ???

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Love never gives up or loses faith, is always hopeful and endures through ALL circumstances."  ~ 1 Corinthians 13:7

So….. Look at people with a gentle eye…Listen with an non judgemental ear….and Love with a forgiving and steady heart .

 

© 2007 J.Hampton [email protected]

 

© 2008 J. Hampton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So inspirational! So very true. People use the word "love" so loosely these days not understanding the very depth of it meaning. When its real and true whether it be something you do, have, or someone, in shows no prejudice, it sees beauty in all thats fall, and potential in something that may be deemed hopeless. Its a beautiful and powerful thing that goes beyond any human control. I enjoyed reading this and it truly lifted my spirits.

If you let circumstances or feelings determine your level of commitment ~
( you'll never make or keep one ) � or determine your level of Love ( you'll never find it) !!!

Spread these words to the world!!! Those that are ignorant may learn something from it.
Thanks for sharing this piece.

Posted 16 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I truly love this, so many questions! Most of us would answer no to them, yet we would somehow get caught up in one of your scenarios and go with it, not thinking about the consequences of our actions on our children who have minds like sponges and love to listen.
My husband said; Love is a verb...a doing word! I love that as it's truthful and it's truth that will win in the end...it has to doesn't it? Love, forgive, be humble and serve without expectation.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

People WILL� fall short ,�act ignorant, and show their behinds ...regularly,but�..

What if God quit on us when we fall short ???

This particular part spoke to me. I always fall shot, I am not perfect, but I am me. and yes you are so right here "Real Love does not fluctuate"
this piece I needed to read tonight and it is so right on.
This entire piece speaks my mind right about now, thanks for posting, I could not have said it better myself.
Kates.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

very kind and humane piece of work..If only the world could be as good
as its word again. I like the quote. I like All the questions. good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

very good. everything u said was more than true. it was real. keep it up.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

If you let circumstances or feelings determine your level of commitment ~
( you'll never make or keep one ) � or determine your level of Love ( you'll never find it) !!!

If we let day-to-day things , affect the heart we have for the people we "claim" to Love�
Well�. what kind of Parents ,Husbands,Wives or friends would we be ???

Not letting past failures interpret our future. I love this poem.

Good job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Very moving piece...touched me deep!

thank you!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Very good piece, although the formating (done for impact I assume) breaks the flow, and I feel it would work better laid out strait. Remember the message is the important thing, not the impact, that will come if it applies to the reader.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

U bring up sum interesting points that nobody ever really gives thought to... Like tha part bout parents throwin kids out the house 4 lyin and all wrong that kids do. they still love us.. and ur right.. the right kinda love can cure anythang. great write, wonderful msg!

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Love is the only element into this world, were reminded of it each day because that's all Jesus want us to do.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Amen sister...love is the most potent element in the world, and if treated right can cure anything inside. All of us need to learn to love with all our heart and learn the power of forgiveness...Another great piece you have created. Take care and Have a great week :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1082 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 11, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..