God Answers Many Prayers

God Answers Many Prayers

A Story by JC
"

Written for the This I Believe Contest

"

God Answers Many Prayers

When I was pregnant with my first child, the sonogram showed a boy. A boy! I had prayed that my first child be a boy, for I had only grown up with sisters.

I prayed for a little boy with blonde hair and blue-green eyes like his mama’s. I also prayed that he be sweet, kind and special. What I didn’t pray for, was that he be perfect. God answers many prayers.

 

It was at the age of four and after taking him from specialist to specialist, that the word "autism" entered my vocabulary. He would be "special" and not special like everyone is special, "special", as the world will be difficult for him and at times, unkind to those who are "special".

 

In the "pro’s" world there are three categories: low functioning (rain man), Aspergers, or Pervasive Development Disorder, otherwise known as P.D.D. We happen to fall into the last category. It means he doesn't have a specific diagnosis, but is considered high functioning. Very comforting for the parents who are seeking help. I don’t know what is worse, a child that is on the low end of the spectrum and everyone can tell they have a disability or those who you physically can not tell, but everyone just describes as " oh, that child is just different".

 

PDD kids are different. They live in a world of black and white, while the rest of us live in the shades of gray. For them, the world is matter of fact. My son’s teacher recently had a baby. He came home all excited because she brought the baby in for the students to see. I asked him how was the baby. He said " Well the baby was in her stomach and now its in the car seat." Trying to hold back a laugh, I said "Well, that’s good." He responded, "Can I have a snack?". You quickly learn that how you ask the question is important.

 

Its been the most difficult and rewarding time of my life. I have to sometimes wonder who’s raising who. Case in point. For his second birthday party, I asked who he would like to invite. He quickly rattled off all his classmates names, including one that had been picking on him all year. I told he why in the world would you want to invite him. Without hesitating he simply said" ‘Cause, it would hurt his feelings if I invited everyone else and not him. That wouldn’t be good.". All I could do was hug him, and try not to cry.

 

Living with a child with autism is quite challenging. You must accept that the they will go hungry instead of eating peas. You must be willing to listen to a dissertation on the earth's surface over and over and over again, or until they become fascinated with something else to become an expert on. That the color blue is not just a preference but a necessity to function by. For all the challenges we parents face, sweeter, kinder children you will never meet. My special boy has given me more joy in ten years, than some people receive in a life time.

 

God answers many prayers. Maybe not how you think He should but He does answer them.

This I believe.

© 2008 JC


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This brought tears to my eyes, especially the part about inviting him class mate who picked on him.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Who says grown men don't cry...I've got a tear in my eye after reading this. You are a wonderful mom. Thank you for sharing this.

A child with a heart of GOLD
Looking into his mothers eyes
Reaching out to embrace her
With emotions of love

Art

Posted 16 Years Ago


I agree with Philip. This story doesn't just tell me how you feel, it explains how. It shows me how the easy to understand world as your son sees it does not include retribution. He simply knows that hurt feelings are bad and so feelings should not be hurt. Oh how I wish the rest of the world functioned on so advanced a level.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I feel blessed having read this story.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
4 Reviews
Added on February 26, 2008
Last Updated on May 3, 2008

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing
Looking For Clues Looking For Clues

A Story by JC