Is this possible? I have just met her, and yet... I have fallen in love with her

Is this possible? I have just met her, and yet... I have fallen in love with her

A Story by Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam
"

The long love story

"

Beware: This story does not have a happy ending.

 

Feb 14th 2012(Gregorian calendar)

Chennai, India.

Krish parked his bike down the beach road and ran to the bus stop. It had started to down pour quite heavily and he had to find shelter. He was already half drenched; he took out his phone to check if it was alright. After all, that was his love, his only love which he had, to spend with, on Valentine’s Day.

*Great*  he thought  *Things can’t get better than this*

He heard another shrieking sound, but it wasn't a bike, it sounded more of a scooter type of a vehicle.

And in she walked..

A girl,

The same bus stop

For the same reason as he was standing there

*Well that’s comforting, thank you god* he winked, which only god could have seen.

The girl’s face was covered with a scarf, so his curiosity to see her face increased. The girl removed her eyes glasses and he got to see the first glimpse of her eyes which were light brown in color.

‘Eyes are the gate way to one’s soul’ he had heard someone say quite a long back and those words started to rewind in his brain now.

The girl started to unfold the scarf wrapped around her head. As he was able to see her,

*Only Heavenly language can describe her, she is out of this world* he thought

Such was the beauty of this girl who was standing next to him. He started to feel something when he looked into her eyes and when she returned the glance with a smile, her eyes locked his.

He felt like something important had happened to him.

*Is this possible? I just met her, and yet... I have fallen in love with her* his thoughts were mumbling up

*I don’t even know her name*

“Hi” he heard an endearing voice.

 

Feb 14th 1980(Gregorian calendar)

San Francisco, USA.

Edward closed his book ‘Last night in Twisted River’ by John Irving after reading the words,

“If we live long enough, we become caricatures of ourselves”

He couldn't help but realize the truth behind those words. As he flipped through the bed he felt an aching around his back. He got used to the pain by now. It has been 3 years since he came here, ‘The Grayson’s Elderly Care’.

His daughter-in-law was not that much comfortable with his presence and his son hadn't spoken much with him since his wife died. In order to cut the drama that was happening around him, he volunteered to be at this place, which his son and daughter played down to be sad. But he knew the truth that he would have eventually been put into to this place the amount of time he bargained.

He felt much comfortable in this place than he was at home though.

“Everyone, please assemble at the main room, we have a new person in the house” Nurse Quake’s voice echoed around the room through the speaker. It was a common practice to greet the new person that came there, to make them feel at home, even though they all knew and shared the same feeling of being dumped out of their real home.

Edward took his walking stick rested near his bed to help him get up; his limps have failed him partially by now. He started to the main room and by the time he reached there it seemed like eternity. He went and rested his a*s on a couch put there and waited as all the other oldies reached the room.

“Good day everyone, I would like all of you to welcome Ms. Lycia, to our family”

Edwards’s memory had failed him long ago; he couldn't even remember his wedding date. But there was a bolt of lightning in his brain now. A fragmentation of his memory appeared before him now. The same scenario that was happening here seemed to have happened to him long back. And it occurred to him that, these events happened when he was 12 years old, in school. Lycia was the girl who stood there in front of the kids in class, introducing herself, to her classmates. Little Edward was instantly attracted to her. The craziness had started to kindle in his little heart. Now after years have rolled by, Edward started to feel like he was the little kid of his former self.

Lycia was rolling her eyes towards everyone in the room to extend her warm full regards and it fixed on Edward at one point of time, so did Edward.

Lycia smiled at him.

Feb 1st 1213(Julian calendar) [Feb 14th in today’s calendar]

Aragon, Spain.

“The queen has requested your presence” there came the scroll to James, the Conquistador.

“Halt the horses” ordered James “I’m going to meet the queen”.

James thronged into the castle that stood tall in all of Aragon. As he made his way to the queen’s abode, he was blocked by the guards.

“I demand to see the queen” James shouted.

“You will James, but listen to me first” there came Campos, the head medicine practitioner in the kingdom.

“I obey only the queen” James pushed past Campos.

“The queen is dying, she needs your help, and I was the one who sent you the message”

James paused and turned his attention to Campos

“What are you mystifying about?”

“The queen was bitten by a snake and she has two days left”

“How did this happen?”

“In the garden”

“Isn't there a way to save her?”

“There is, but I’m afraid it is an arduous task”

“I’ll kill half of mankind for her”

“There’s a flower in the mountains that can cure her, but the path to get it is very dangerous, it is a very sacred place guarded by the mountain people”

James looked at Campos.

“I’ll leave to the mountains after I see the queen”

He stormed inside the room.

There in the bed lied the most beautiful queen that ever ruled Aragon, Petronilla.

She was into a deep sub conscious state due to the poison in her veins.

James kneeled down took her hand looked at her face

“Upon my honor and my life, I swear to be with you till the end, my queen”

He rose and began his journey.

Feb 14th 3114 BC (Mayan calendar)

Chiapas, Mexico.

A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, and the Moon fully or partially blocks ("occult") the Sun. This can happen only at new moon, when the Sun and the Moon are in conjunction as seen from Earth in an alignment referred to as syzygy. In a total eclipse, the disk of the Sun is fully obscured by the Moon. But the Mayans who worshiped the sun god named Kinich Ahau believed that it was the case of the evil big snake which engulfs the sun, in order to overcome good over evil, they offered human sacrifices, in most cases women.

This ritual takes place in such a way that a group of men trained as warriors will chase and hunt a group of women, slit their throat and behead their head and scream out loud, which is a sign to signal out that they have had their target. They believed that every hunt must be killed to offer the complete sacrifice to their sun god. They believed that it granted him enough strength to overcome the big snake.

A group of men will be trained from their young blood age. This crop was called the nacom. Similarly, a group of young women will be groomed and will be given the utmost care towards their health and beauty to make them worthy of their sacrifice and provide a stiff competition to test the manhood of the warriors.

The ritual starts the day before the solar eclipse or should I say the day when the big snake engulfs the sun by the head priests named chacs. The nacom and the women will be allowed to mate with each other the day before. They believed that this would grant the women the honor to go directly into the underworld xibalba upon their death.

The day finally arrives; nacom and the women are in their respective positions. When the sun turns black, the women will start to run and nacom will start to chase them.

The following event occurs between such a nacom called Umaga and the woman Tsiose, who had mated the earlier night.

Feb 14th 1980(Gregorian calendar)

San Francisco, USA.

After everyone left, Edward wanted to talk with Lycia. But soon she was out of his sight. Maybe, his eyesight was failing him again. Maybe, this was all part of his mind playing tricks on him, an illusion. Lycia was his first crush, his only crush. They continued their education till high school together. Their houses were in neighboring streets. They hanged out most of the time, talking absolutely between something and anything with each other. Edward liked the way she smelt, she carried that unique scent with her which he can figure out even in a crowd. And after high school, something fell out. Lycia’s family moved out of the state and there was no contact from her ever since. Edward was not given the chance to express his feeling for her. She was this rich girl from this posh family and he was this nerd guy around the street.

As Edward was recoiling every memory he had of her, they came pouring out as if they had occurred a day before. Yet, he was not able to recollect what had happened the earlier day. Edward started to walk out of the house to the bench which was outside, which he always does in the evening to get some fresh air. To his surprise the bench was already occupied. Edward walked slowly (he couldn't walk pat even if he wanted to owing to his age) and sad at the end of the bench. The other end was occupied by Lycia.

“Hello Eddie”

No one had called him that way in a long time, she remembered.

Those eyes, the way she looked right... right down into me

“How are you Lycia?”

“Edward, please don’t ask me that. You won't understand, no-one will. When a woman makes the choice to marry, to have children; in one way her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and stay steady so that your children can move. And when they leave they take your life of details with them. And then you're expected to move again, only when you don't remember what moves you because no-one has asked in so long. Not even yourself”

Edward’s brain couldn't process much of the words she uttered but he got the point.

“That is when I realized I needed to come here, and at that moment, everything I knew to be true about myself up until then, was gone. I was acting like another woman, yet I was more myself than ever before. But never in my life I thought that I would get the chance to meet you one more time. I had never even thought about it. But now I realize that, this is what my heart has been secretly longing all the while”

Feb 1st 1213(Julian calendar) [Feb 14th in today’s calendar]

Aragon, Spain.

James kept marching on his troops. By the time they reached the place they needed to, nearly more than half of his men have already lost their lives to the traps and all the other dangerous obstacles they had crossed which included wild animals and bizarre insects. But he kept matching on.

His general came up to James

"I'm sorry sire; I think we need to stop this madness. We have lost almost all of our important men in trying to seek a flower that is a myth"

James became furious, drove his sword and took it to the general’s neck

"One more word from you, I cut your tongue and drive it down your throat”

He then turned to his other men

"Those who wish to join him, may do. Either you die here or accompany me in my conquest to save the queen.”

"You've lost yourself in this lunacy sire” shouted another

"Fine kill me before you leave" he prepared to offend his own men.

He knew he was outnumbered by this. He was being singled out by the whole group.

Then the general started to run towards James springy his sword, but his run was cut short by an arrow that pierced through his chest.

When James looked up, he could see the mountain people shooting more arrows from the trees. They were targeting his flock. As he was singled out, he realized that they had not notice him yet. With little time left he started to run from there.

As he ran mindlessly through the woods jumping arrows followed him, barely missing his head and body. He didn't dare to look back. He wasn't a coward. But he knew he needed to keep him alive to save the queen.

Then it hit him an arrow on his arm and he fell down the mountain rolling down until he decked into the river

Feb 14th 2012(Gregorian calendar)

Chennai, India.

“Hey” he sounded polite trying very hard to make his first impression look good.

“Sorry if I'm bothering you, but can I use your phone? My mobile is wet and it’s not turning on. Need to make a call”

“Sure, why not?” the fact that Krish never even allowed his parents to touch the phone tinged a bit on the inside, but he never cared about that right now. He handed the phone to her.

He couldn't hear what she was talking over the phone. But he was sure it was her boyfriend. In Chennai, it is very hard to find a girl single and that to a beautiful one. He cursed himself for not meeting her much before.

“Thanks” she said as she returned the phone.

“Excusing yourself to your boyfriend eh?”

“Not exactly” she said turning her head

He felt as if he had asked a wrong question at the wrong time. But she quickly brought her head back.

“It's was my dad”

“That’s strange. A girl like you should definitely have a boyfriend”

“Maybe I haven't yet met my Prince Charming”

“But, its Valentine’s Day” he shouted a bit to stress the tone of the words he said

“So?”

He paused and looked at her in the eye for a moment

“Nothing”

“Maybe I might just meet him today”

That was all he needed to hear, he thought

After all, he had spent almost half of his life time alone on a Valentine's Day (considering the life span of a human being to be 50 in the modern era due to unforced human made circumstances)

Feb 14th 3114 BC (Mayan calendar)

Chiapas, Mexico.

The moon had covered the sun and it had turned pitch black all around. Umaga and the rest of the nacoms started to chase the women. The women started to run to keep themselves alive. But never in the history from the inception of this ritual had a woman been able to escape, all had served a similar fate.

The women scattered on very different directions. Each one had to fix their target and Umaga had set his on Tsiose. As he started to chase her into the deep jungle, so did the other nacoms. Umaga had been the strongest and the best in the tribe and excelled in hunting

The thing that I forgot to mention was that during mating both the man and the women would have their eyes folded in order to prevent the hunters to choose their hunts based on that.

Umaga has hunted many such victims’ year in year out and he would be the first one to do it and scream out to prove his authority. But this woman he was chasing was as fast as Umaga and it puzzled him. But he was happy to have a match. As he kept on chasing her, he heard the first scream from far off angle that infuriated Umaga and he thought it should have been him. As he stopped a bit, he saw that Tsiose quickly humped up the tree and rolled twice on its branches, jumped and hit him in his face and started to run again. He was startled, not even a man had ever made him fall to his feet. He quickly came back to his senses and started chasing her again.

As he continued chasing her, scream after scream he heard and with each scream the sun slowly started to reveal it, that he thought was due to the sacrifices and the final scream came out excluding his. And only a part of the darkness prevailed over the sun which Umaga thought he should kill her to let the light

He ran with all his might and caught her by her hair dragged her and jumped upon her; he took out his knife and kept it on her throat and started to say prayers to the sun god.

But for a moment he paused, his skin had touched her and he had felt that touch before, he realized that, that was the woman he had mated the day before. Nevertheless he started to lower her knife deep into her neck, but as he did, the black of his eye say the black of her eye and he started to see himself in her. He hesitated. He took a deep breath and screamed.

The solar eclipse had ended and the sun was to be seen again. The whole of Mayan civilization began to shout and scream in joy. They eagerly waited for their mightiest warrior to return with the head of the women. All the other nacoms had returned with the head of their hunts. To everyone’s disbelief, Umaga was walking back to the village with Tsiose in his arms and her arms wrapped around his head.

Feb 1st 1213(Julian calendar) [Feb 14th in today’s calendar]

Aragon, Spain.

When James regained his consciousness, he realized he was on the bank of a river. As he tried to get himself up, the arrow was still sticking to his arm protruding through it. He took the arrow from his arm, which was deeply painful. He then collapsed on the ground again. As he looked at the sky, it was shining bright, which meant he had to get the flower by dawn to save the queen. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and recalled the conversation he had with Campos

“What is this plant?”

“It is an ancient plant, which is believed to be found in the mountains. No one has ever seen it before, it was found in the scrolls of the Mayan civilization. They had named the plant Tsiose, after their god of enlightenment. The only clue was the depiction of the flower, it will be sunrise in color and the petals will be in patches of blue. It is her only choice of survival”

As James opened his eyes and turned his head to the left, he saw a garden so beautiful that he was awe struck with its exquisiteness, and then he realized something the flower had the same descriptions of what Campos had said.

He mustered all the energy needed and rose to his feet. He knew he had to eventually run to Aragon if he is to reach there by sunset.

By the time James reached the castle, the sun had already set. He collapsed before the guards on the way to the Queen Petronilla’ s room.

“I have brought the flower. I have brought the flower” he shouted

The guards tried to lift him up but he pushed them away and entered the queen’s room.

There, he saw Campos sitting beside the bed of the queen holding her hands

“I have brought what you have asked me to, save her” he falls at Campos’s feet.

“I’m sorry James”

“What you mean by that? Save her”

“I’m afraid it’s too late”

“No… No… It can’t be”

He rushed towards her. He touched her forehead. It was very cold and he knew.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry” he kept repeating those words

“I have failed you my queen”

He took his head to hers and kissed her on her lips. When he broke the kiss, he saw his tear drops fall on her eyes. He took her hand s and rested his head besides her.

“I’m sure you could have not done much better James” Campos tried to console James

As he kept his hands on his shoulders, Campos realized that James had died right beside the queen. When he examined further, he noticed the wound on James’s arm. He knew the moment he saw it. The arrow had carried a severe poison and it was a miracle that James had been alive for this long.

Maybe, he had come to die with her.

Feb 14th 1980(Gregorian calendar)

San Francisco, USA.

Edward and Lycia had talked their hearts out. Edward hadn't felt this good in a very long time.

“I left my faith in God long back, you know why?” Edward asked Lycia

There was just this look from her which was like how am I supposed to know

“I didn't understand a God who would let us meet, if there was no way we could ever be together. But now I realize that he has his ways”

“Is this really happening Eddie?”

“This kind of certainty comes but once in a lifetime”

They both laughed.

“When you left, I couldn't replace you, because you were made up of such specific details”

“Are you trying to flirt with this old lady?”

“Things change. They always do, it's one of the things of nature. Most people are afraid of change, I was”

She had a light smile on her face

“Do you still remember the story that we read when we were kids?” she asked

“Yeah, the story about this queen and her Conquistador”

“Yes. We even used to role play it when we were alone. Sometimes we wished we could travel back in time and live their lives which was far more interesting”

“By the look of our age, we can only travel forward”

“You were always this smart one Eddie”

“Do you believe in reincarnation?”

“Yeah, it's interesting.”

“OK. Where would you like to be born in your next lifetime?”

“India” Lycia smiled

“I’ll be there with you” Comforted Eddie. They had now moved closer to each other from siting at the edges of the bench.

Lycia was now resting her head on James’s shoulder.

Feb 14th 2012(Gregorian calendar)

Chennai, India.

“What about you?” Now it was her turn to ask him

“I'm not very good with women”

“Perhaps you haven't found the right one”

“Maybe, But you have to realize that love is a mystery and it does not definitely meet our expectations”

“Nice”

“Thank you” he knew he was playing it very right

“I’m Pooja” she held her hand greeting his

“I’m Krishnamurthy. You can call me Krish”

They shook hands

“What else do you have on this love stuff?”

“When people KNEW how to be in love, they knew it! Time, distance... nothing could separate them because they knew”

“You really want to be in love in a movie, don’t you?”

“Maybe”

“Why don’t we have a cup of coffee at the CCD when the rain stops? What do you say?”

“Well… I don’t know”

“Pleaseeeeeee… I’ll tell you more about this love from the movie” Krish was having this puppy face towards her

“Sure. Sure” she started laughing

Krish felt like he had killed his boss, happy.

When he turned back, he noticed that Pooja’ s Scooty was standing right next to his bike and that was telling him something.

2nd  day of the beginning (Current Valentine’s Day)

Heaven, Paradise.

Adam was freely roaming about paradise looking out all the things that God had created for him. He heard a loud thunder and he knew God was approaching him.

“Adam” his voice echoed all around

“Yes, My father”

“I would like you to meet someone”

“I will do as you wish my father”

He then took Adam to a place covered by huge trees. Then he noticed a lonely figure coming out from behind one of those trees.

“This is Eve, Adam”

*Is this possible? I have just met her, and yet... I have fallen in love with her* his thoughts were mumbling up

*I don’t even know her*

And the long love story begins.

Note: This story definitely does not have a happy ending. God created a man and a woman and let them roam together on paradise. What greater disaster can happen more worse than this? :P

This may have been a beautiful beginning for mankind but definitely a sad ending for God’s harmony.

 

 © 2013 Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam

 

© 2015 Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam
Thank you for your valuable comments.
Follow me on twitter @JDotTheWriter!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Jerald,

I have read this piece of yours so many times.. It inspires me soo much. Such a unique piece, connecting various calendars and periods.. I really feel this can be written as a Novella.. do write this piece as a novella.. Simple and touching...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam

9 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch doll:) You will always keep me motivated to write more:)
I loved everything, the flow, the emotion...there was a swing of mix feelings...happy...romantic...sad...hopeful...sadder....LOL very interesting and long

but very good dear :D I LOVED IT

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much:) I was initially planning to write this as a novella. But due certain reasons w.. read more
I wrote more...what happened to it hahaha I guess I'll write it again LOL

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The Black Warrior

9 Years Ago

hahahaha... see! believing is not the same as seen, for you can't truly see beyond what those beauti.. read more
Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam

9 Years Ago

And I, the demon, hiding beneath the darkness, searching for my heart, as it lay locked down in a se.. read more
The Black Warrior

9 Years Ago

I agree...this was so much fun...sadly I got to go now, til then :D
Only Heavenly language can describe her, she is out of this world* he thought

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on January 17, 2015
Tags: love, timezone, Mayans, India, Spain, mexico, sanfrancisco

Author

Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam
Jerald Infant Jeyarethinam

Pasir Ris, Singapore



About
There are actually three types of writers, 1. The ones who write so that their shallow egoistic nature is always filled up with praises. They have this desire to be always talked about, to be remem.. more..

Writing