Darkness Falls

Darkness Falls

A Poem by John Elridge Medlin
"

What is darkness, but the absence of light?

"
My friend ended up being the end of me.
I'm not sure if that's his intention; to see
me crack under the weight of the oppression
brought about by his absence. My impression
was that he was unaware.  With him being
in such close proximity, merely seeing
would be as easy as a slight turn of head.
Yet at the ends of it all, here I am dead.
Alone and wrapped in the cold embrace of night.
It's veil covers all; suffocating my plight.
I cry for you to come, but you stay away!
Faint and at a distance... that is where you stay.
Do you look down and see me here right now?
Do you laugh at me as if I were a sow?
I suffer in this abysmal hell alone.
A punishment for the crimes I can't atone.
I have missed being wrapped in your warm embrace.
So why then, is it that you have turned your face?
Surely, soon, this hole will be my very own grave.
Gone is all of the love you once freely gave.
Here... in the dark, I think only of one thing.
Where is the light whose praises I once did sing?
Darkness falls. is this the end?
Where are you? My light... my friend...

© 2015 John Elridge Medlin


Author's Note

John Elridge Medlin
My first time venturing into dark subject matter. Please judge accordingly. I take criticism well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoy the vibe of this poem. It also feels sociological to me. No matter what we are creatures that are not meant to be alone, we are not robots at the end of the day. Especially if we have a friend that we considered to be close to (I'm assuming in the poem that this person had one friend) and just shuns you and that can make you feel crazy about being alone. Great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Elridge Medlin

8 Years Ago

Thanks bud! My favorite thing about this poem is the different thoughts that people have of the pur.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
To me,and I'm probably way off,this is you losing your faith,feeling lost without your Lord.Flowing easily a pleasure to read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Elridge Medlin

8 Years Ago

Its open to interpretation. Thanks for the review!
I enjoy the vibe of this poem. It also feels sociological to me. No matter what we are creatures that are not meant to be alone, we are not robots at the end of the day. Especially if we have a friend that we considered to be close to (I'm assuming in the poem that this person had one friend) and just shuns you and that can make you feel crazy about being alone. Great work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Elridge Medlin

8 Years Ago

Thanks bud! My favorite thing about this poem is the different thoughts that people have of the pur.. read more
This poem gave off a feeling of dull pain. Maybe daily loneliness, or difficulty in seeing a purpose, rather than some cataclysmic event. I wonder if the "you" is an ex lover or maybe a part of yourself you wish you could reclaim. Could the friend be the idealized version of yourself? Overall there are many lenses you can shape this from and I liked the elasticity of it. Oh and the font and eclipses gave off a hurried feel which I felt added a lot.

Posted 8 Years Ago


John Elridge Medlin

8 Years Ago

Thanks bud! When I was writing this I was aiming for it to be somewhat open for interpretation. I .. read more
nicely said, can feel the loss that was felt.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Elridge Medlin

8 Years Ago

Why thank you! I appreciate the review.
a well penned tapestry of words...smooth reading and word flow makes it a pleasure to read even though the subject is dark...

Posted 8 Years Ago


John Elridge Medlin

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I promise my stuff isnt normally this dark. Ill be sure to upload some of my more whimsica.. read more
I really feel as if I am absorbed completely in this distopia of live you describe. Phenomenal work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

380 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 12, 2015
Last Updated on August 12, 2015
Tags: light, dark, darkness, falls, shadows, veil, surrounds, pit, hole, on, in, around, alone, solitude, abandoned, abandonment, ignored

Author

John Elridge Medlin
John Elridge Medlin

Haughton, LA



About
I am a 22 year old writer in Haughton, Louisiana. I have been writing since I was old enough to know how to. I find immense pleasure in crafting stories of all kinds. Right now I'm working on putti.. more..

Writing