A Lost Love

A Lost Love

A Chapter by J. F. Charleston


 

                              A FEW YEARS LATER...

 

The wind blew through Lauren's long, brown hair as she rode across the fields of her family's ranch. She noticed a black Range Rover pull in front of the house. It was Lauren's sister, Kristin.

          Kristin had come home for Lauren's 22nd birthday. Lauren was very close to her sister and she knew that Kristin would listen to anything Lauren had to say. She rode up to the house and dismounted from her horse. Lauren ran toward Kristin and threw her arms around her older sister.

          "Hey!" Kristin said squeezing her sister. Lauren wanted to spill her guts to her sister so badly, but she knew that it wasn't the right time with her family all around.

"I missed you, Kristin." Lauren said letting go of her sister. It was about five months since Lauren saw her.

"I missed you too."

          They walked into the house and when Lauren was upstairs with Kristin, she decided to tell her sister that she hadn't told anyone.

"Kristin...Can I talk to you?" Lauren asked helping her sister unpack.

"Sure, anything." Kristin replied, staring at Lauren.

          "Kristin... There's something missing." Lauren said. Kristin looked at her confused. She had almost everything a girl could possibly ask for, but she felt there was something that she didn't have. Something that her parents can't get for her. Something that'd take the pain away, that would make the memories disappear.

"What do you mean 'missing'?"

          "I don't know." Kristin said, looking into Lauren's green eyes. "If, it's about a boy, I've been there." Lauren's attention was more focused on her sister than anything, yet it wasn't what Lauren wanted to talk about.

"You have? What did you do?" She followed along with her sister and buried what she wanted to talk about.

"Yes. The thing that completed the puzzle was John."

          Lauren acted as if she understood. "So a man is missing from my heart?" Lauren asked acting confused. Kristin nodded her head. "Not just any man. A man that you love deeply and one that loves you for who you are."

          "How will I find him?" Lauren asked almost desperate.

"He will show up when you least expect him." Kristin told Lauren. John showed up when Kristin had least expected it. 

          "Hey, for your birthday what do you say we have a girl's night?" Kristin asked changing the subject.

"Ok, I might find him tonight." Lauren joked with a little smile.

"Alright. Let's have a good day. Ok?" Kristin smiled and rubbed her sister's back.

"Ok." Lauren felt more happier that her sister was back and that she took the time to talk to her.

         

Later on that night, Lauren and Kristin went out to the local honkey tonk. When Kristin parked in front of the building, Lauren had felt a little nervous, because she hadn't been in years. She decided to let go of her worries for the night and followed Kristin in through the doors.

          Country music and the sound of boots on a wooden dance floor filled the air. Kristin lead Lauren over to the bar and ordered some shots. After a couple of rounds, Lauren noticed a very cute cowboy sitting alone a couple of stools away. She got up and sat next to him.

          "Howdy little lady." The cowboy said tipping his straw hat forward with his finger and thumb. Lauren smiled at the greeting. "Howdy yourself." Lauren said to the man sitting beside her, sipping on a glass of whiskey.

          "I'm Jacob." The cowboy said extending his hand toward Lauren. She took his hand and smiled. "I'm Lauren."

"Are you here alone?" Jacob asked resting his arm on the counter and leaning toward her.

"I'm here with my sister. And yourself?" Lauren placed some loose strands of hair behind her ear.

"Unfortunately I'm by myself. Some buddies of mine were supposed to meet me here, but they bailed." Jacob replied setting his drink on the counter. 

          Lauren looked him up and down, from his hat to his boots. She liked Jacob already. He wore blue jeans and a white button down shirt that was tucked in his jeans. Lauren was loosing her self control by just looking at him. His blue eyes were like the ocean, a complete mystery.

          Jacob was staring at Lauren, amazed by her beauty. Her white tank top was getting into Jacob's head and the cut off blue jean shorts that revealed her tanned legs. She had one foot propped on the bar stool and one on the floor, and was curious about the cowboy sitting in front of her. She finally forgot the past for a bit. Nobody else was able to do this.

          A slow song from the band started and the lights dimmed. Jacob looked into Lauren's eyes and a sparkle was in them. A special sparkle that Jacob was looking for all his life. He couldn't miss the opportunity in front of him. 

          "Would you like to dance?" Jacob asked Lauren, who was hoping that he would ask. She smiled and took his hand. He lead her on to the dance floor. Jacob put his hand in the middle of Lauren's back and took her hand with his.

          They started to sway back and forth with the music. Jacob looked down at Lauren's smiling face. He smiled back at her and twirled her. When Lauren returned to Jacob's arms, he leaned closer to her. She leaned towards him, sensing something great about him. Lauren didn't reject him and their lips intertwined for a moment. 

          She focused into his blue eyes. They were oceans that had to be sailed. Full of excitement. Jacob was something that she never came across before.Her memories faded away, the pain she felt disappeared for the first time in years.

"What is it that you look for in a girl?" Lauren asked. He smiled down at her and replied: "Someone who's sweet and caring. Everyone before herself."

          Lauren was surprised at this. Jacob was different than the other guys she had known.Most were after her looks and body.

"What is it that you want in a guy?" Jacob asked. Lauren couldn't even think, as much as she tried, time felt like it was wasting. Finally something came to her mind.

"Some one who cherishes what he finds. Who loves God more than himself. Who would do anything for his love."

         Jacob looked at her in amazement. Every other girl he knew wanted him for his money or his looks, but not her.

         Time slowed and the night became one of the best for Lauren. She and Jacob talked all night. He told her about himself and his family. Jacob was fresh out of college and he wanted to be a Sheriff. Lauren told Jacob about her schooling and that she planned on being a school teacher.

         The bar closed around two and Lauren realized that Kristin had went home a long time ago. She thought about calling Kristin, but it was late and she probably was asleep. Her house wasn't too far from here.

         "Hey, Lauren." Jacob said through the window of his old truck. Lauren stopped walking and walked to the window. "Want a lift home?"

"Oh, thanks." Lauren said opening the truck door. The inside was old, but decent, nothing like her sister's Range Rover. A old radio played a country station and there was a crack in the windshield.

          Jacob pulled up to Lauren's house. "Thanks for the ride home." Lauren said looking at Jacob.

"I would like to see you again." Jacob said before Lauren went for the door. She smiled and kissed him.

"Here's my cell phone number." Lauren said jotting down some numbers. She handed the slip of paper to him.

          They got out of the truck, and Jacob followed Lauren to her front door. She stopped and faced him. "Tonight was amazing."

"Yes, it was." Jacob agreed. He leaned closer to her and their lips touched for the last time that night.

"Goodnight." Jacob said looking into Lauren's green eyes.

"Night." Lauren said weakly. She watched him walk back to the old Chevy. Before he drove away, he looked at her again. She waved and watched him drive into the night, the red tail lights getting smaller and smaller.

 



© 2018 J. F. Charleston


Author's Note

J. F. Charleston
Picture by http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz6wxezfgS1qj444zo1_500.jpg

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Alright, I'm not one to read these types of stories because they're so cliche. It moves a little slow, but it might be the writing style. It was overall a one scene story-which works for a short, short story. It's simple and cute, but I think it would flow better if it wasn't too wordy. You do not need to remphasize the pronouns all the time and you don't always need to say who is talking. For example, "It was about five months since Lauren saw her sister," take out sister. You do that a lot and it's not necessary. I don't know if you wanted to keep this at a certain word length, but it would be better longer so you can develope the characters more.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Amazing book. I love it so much! Such a great author

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


A amazing opening chapter. Most of us had felt the feelings in the story. We were too soon or too late for a real relationship to begin. I like the situation and the story so far. Leaving a phone numbers make the connection more strong. Thank you for a excellent chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The theme was good. It was well written. But there was no real surprises. I was expecting it but the story was over. A twist at the end something like that will make it stand out of the crowd. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


J. F. Charleston

11 Years Ago

What did you have in-mind?
Alright, I'm not one to read these types of stories because they're so cliche. It moves a little slow, but it might be the writing style. It was overall a one scene story-which works for a short, short story. It's simple and cute, but I think it would flow better if it wasn't too wordy. You do not need to remphasize the pronouns all the time and you don't always need to say who is talking. For example, "It was about five months since Lauren saw her sister," take out sister. You do that a lot and it's not necessary. I don't know if you wanted to keep this at a certain word length, but it would be better longer so you can develope the characters more.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the overall concept - Boy meets Girl.. and the country theme. If Lauren is 22, however, she should be smart enough to know in he beginning of the story that she is just lonely. You don't want your readers to think she is an idiot. Maybe she can just recognize her loneliness, and discuss it with her sister.
I would also change that part where she says maybe she can find her John tonight, because no one just says that and then first thing at a bar meets that guy - she can say it jokingly though? And honestly when he said he wanted to go down by the lake to get to know her more, my mind screamed "RAPIST!".. no girl in her right mind would go to a secluded place with a complete stranger. They should just dance and have fun and then he can suggest going on a real date to get to know her, that can be a future chapter! I would love to read more, and I love your male character.. just work on her a little. =)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J. F. Charleston

11 Years Ago

Well thanks. I think you're right. I'll go back and make some changes.
J. F. Charleston

11 Years Ago

I would like to tell you that I edited the story and started the next chapter.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1171 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 5, 2012
Last Updated on January 9, 2018


Author

J. F. Charleston
J. F. Charleston

TX



About
"Write from the brain and heart. Join them to create one great piece of writing." J.F. Charleston. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5