The Commonplace

The Commonplace

A Story by JLily98
"

It was an assignment I had where I had to have a 3 characters as a narcissist, a control freak, and a liar.

"

As I set the table for dinner, my mom is in the kitchen collecting our meal to bring to the dining table. My mom comes in putting the spaghetti in the center of the table.

“No, no, no, the napkins are on the wrong side. You’re doing it wrong. Here, let me do it.” my mom says while taking the items out of my hands to set the table herself.

I sit myself down in my usual seat and take my phone out to continue my conversation with my “boyfriend” or so my parents think. After setting the table, my mom takes her seat and we wait for my dad as usual.

“Daryn, please put your phone away. You’re at the table.”

“But mom, dad isn’t here yet and we don’t even have food on our plates.”

“Your father will be here any minute. Now put your phone away.”

By her stern voice I get intimidated, even at the age of eighteen. I put my phone in my pocket.

Ten minutes go by, I only know that by staring at the digital clock below the t.v. in the living room. All you can hear is the soft ringing noise when silence is all that fills up a room and occasionally the click of the time letting me know another minute passed.

Soon enough we listen to the sound of the door knob turning, the sound of the wind howling outside, and the sound of my dad’s shoes hitting the mat on the front porch in order to get all the excess snow off. Jacket off, undoing his belt, he comes and joins us at the table.

“You’re late again.” my mom says out of irritability.

“Dinner doesn’t start until I get here. See-” my dad says while motioning to our empty plates.

“I didn’t even have to say it.” He pulls out his chair and sits down.

“Anyways, me coming home late is what helps support this family. If it weren’t for me, coming home late or not, we’d be out on the street.” He fills his plate and takes a bite. My mom adds food to my plate and hers. Breaking the sound of us eating away, my mom starts up a conversation.

“So, this year for Christmas I was thinking we should do tomato soup, a hickory smoked ham with vegetables, and for dessert we should have everyone else bring a variety of cookies.”

“Anything you want, honey.”

“Could you at least make it seem like you care?”

“Jill, all I have to do is show up.”

“And help me decorate.”

“Yeah, because that always goes over well.” My dad says in a sarcastic tone.

I sit back, arms crossed and let my eyes roll over to the next argument about to begin.

“I try to be the best husband as much as possible, but Jill, sometimes I can only do so much. I’m not a mind reader you know.”

Under the table I pull out my phone and start texting my best friend, Jessa, asking if I can come over.

“I never said you were a mind reader, Nate, but you wouldn’t know that because you’re always in your mind about how much you support this-”

“You’re right! You’re completely right! I am, but maybe if you asked me to do something you should just let me do it and not take over. Give me a chance!”

Both sitting in silence, trying to cool off, I break the silence.

“Can I go over to Jessa’s?”

“I guess” my dad said laying back in his chair while crossing his arms as if he gave up in the fight.

“Just be back by 11:30” my mom said while clearing off the table.

“Thanks” I said.

I grab my phone and put on my coat and boots.

****

I ring Jessa’s doorbell. She answers.

“Hey babe, finally escaped that war at home?”

I give a little sigh of relief, “Yeah, you have no idea.” with my girlfriend pulling me inside.

© 2017 JLily98


Author's Note

JLily98
Hope you enjoy your finds. Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on August 2, 2016
Last Updated on January 13, 2017
Tags: winter, teen, family

Author

JLily98
JLily98

Brooklyn, NY



About
A girl who loves writing and is proud to share her creations. Hope you enjoy the many reads! more..

Writing