To Be Free (Open Up)

To Be Free (Open Up)

A Poem by John Morris

 

To Be Free (Open Up)
 
I take a cold hard look at the
Bathroom Sink. My golden blood
Seeping out. Dripping gently from my wrist.
The weight of the paper in my hands,
I could not stray from answering the
Hundreds of life-changing questions.
Consuming. So small yet worth so much.
 
Pierce my heart with curves and smiles,
Tangle me up, swallow me whole.
Longing for her, too much. She was taken.
Lifting the weight of the crate
Pushing myself to earn the monetary goal;
Stress and workload for so little.
No wonder my wrists drip this day.
 
I wait for the brown envelope to come,
Staring endlessly, I needed to know.
The results to my life, all at once.
Snap. My mind then split. I understood.
The sharp blade in my hand.
Twisting and turning as I toyed with death.
 
My wrists opened up.
The sink filled with blood.
I fainted and died.
The brown envelope came,
My mum wept her eyes;
 
 Nothing but those deadly A star marks.
 

© 2009 John Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ow, this is depressing...but that's probably the feel you're going for.
Interesting piece. Sorry, I can't say I like it but I know maybe some people would.
Alright, I'd say that you should clarify what the 'brown envelope' is; I was a little bewildered at that. Things should be clear in a poem like this.
Also;
"Longing for her, too much. She was taken.
Lifting the burden of the crate"
*Of* the crate? I would think it would be something more like 'Lifting the burden like a crate' or 'lifting the burden off the crate'. Maybe this was just a minor misspelling. I don't know.
While it seems like there are too many depressing pieces like this around, I would say you seem to have done a good job. Keep writing.

~S


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

a story very well-told. Sadly, tragically, and beautifully written with a matter-of-fact tone and nice imagery. good piece. Sorry it took me so long to get to this read request. ;) I'm glad I finally did, though. I enjoyed reading.
KH

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow...Very deep. I can actually feel the emotion in the words. This is a depressing yet fantastic piece of work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
a
Very emotional... emo, indeed, but well written, although not original at all, at the same time your language and the construction of the poem brings to attention, it's powerful and dark, yet the backdround (bathroom) brings to thoughts about something light, white and hopeful (the way I see it), and the ending, well, it's very simple and doesn't fit with the rest of the poem, you should re-work it, I think,
but it shows (and this might be what you intended) that the character's mother doesn't care so much about her son (she only "wept her eyes?"), the tragic situation doesn't reflect in the poem's ending (the final, the finish) at all, it doesn't feel to be finished.
Overall - a good write that shows your skills, well penned, great vocabulary, but doesn't bring deep, conserning emnotions, so the goal isn't reached yet.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Depressing. Not sure I understand the whole idea of it. Why is he so depressed?

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm a bit confused by this. The writing is well done, but the message seems to bounce around a bit. I think (my own interpretation of it) is about someone who is strained by the demands of life upon him. That is, school and the demand to be the perfect student and he can do nothing less or it will crush him. But other parts suggest something different. Perhaps a love that is lost (maybe they could both fit within this, I'm not sure). Some clarification might be needed. Now let's go back to the writing itself. It is impeccable. I like your style in this. If you do change anything in it, at least do not change that aspect of it. Anyway, overall, good job. Kudos.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very depressing but very descriptive of the pressures of life we all are bombarded with.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh wow..like ur other poems this one touched me as well..it's great!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow, i enjoyed this one, (i know that seems weird) lol but the feel i got in this poem was different. the pain felt so real. one of your bests john.
once again, i loved it♥

-Faith

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A commentary on pressure within the British education system? Or the consequences of unrequited love?
Perhaps both - there seem to be two reasons given why your narrator has killed himself.
Also, manual labour being a depressing factor in life.

"those deadly A star marks" - this line seems to back-up the idea of the poem being about pressure; he killed himself striving to achieve academically [?]

"My golden blood" - possibly a reference to the high expectations placed upon him - 'golden boy' etc

"So small yet [so] worth so much." [is this first 'so' a typo?]
"My mum read the results crying her eyes" [this sentence seems to contradict your strong sense of grammar - or maybe it's deliberately disjointed? I'm not sure].

Overall, a pretty good piece. Of higher quality than the average teenaged piece on suicide/self-mutilation, but still containing a few hints at cliched language/imagery.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah! this was so beautifully sad and full of despair.
Loved the flow and the overall structure a lot :)
A very intense and personal piece of writing it is, great work :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2009
Last Updated on May 13, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

John Morris
John Morris

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom



About
Hello Everyone. I know it has been a long time since I last was online but now I am back and ready for it. I have a load of new work from the past year to put on the site once I have done final edi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tin Man Tin Man

A Poem by Tate Morgan