Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

A Poem by Jeremy Baker

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

Time to move on, methinks, merrily

and without melancholy. The memories

that remain, you can keep.

So much gospel truth now turns and tears

apart the origins of my life.

 

Parsely, sage, rosemary & thyme

If there were a remedy, antidote or

treatment for you, I would not ingest it.

You are poisonous, venomous like the taipan,

though it is guided by instinct for survival;

you seek to soil and profane and contaminate.

 

Remember me to the one who lived there

 

My mother died too soon in life, but

only now am I glad. She fled and escaped

what we must endure. I wish I had died with her.

No. I take that back:

I wish you had died instead.

 

She once was a true love of mine

 

My mother knew and lived love; you lied.

My longing was to be a young version of you,

a good son, to make you proud, always your boy.

That can never be now - how does one excise their parentage?

I am fatherless, fearful and frightened of the future.

 

 

© 2011 Jeremy Baker


Author's Note

Jeremy Baker
The only thing worse than discovering that one of your children has been molested is discovering that your own father was the perpetrator.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how you put the lyrics from "Scarborough Fair" into it. Things like that happen a lot, but how can you help someone who has not asked for help? Sometimes, this world sickens me, but the key thing to remember is that not matter how bad things seem at the moment, there is always tomorrow and there is always a new moment. This kind of make me want to cry, though.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I don't quite feel worthy to review this. I traipse (vitrually) through WritersCafe looking for poems like these. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Clever use of the song as a kind of question and answer poem.Thought at first from the second verse it was intended to be ironical,but it turned very serious towards the end, especially when you read the author`s note.
A very good piece of literature over a real difficult personal experience.
I hope you get it sorted out.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ah, this is great. What I love about this is that it maintains a poetic form, most emotional pieces (especially of this nature) tends to ramble on (as i do in mine). Ur alliteration was great as well, the sound of the "f" has this forward like effect when it is said carrying you straight to the 'future' this is a wonderful piece.
If this is a first person perspective, i am sorry abt this. I wish ppl never had to endure this kind of pain. Prayer daily and faith keeps us going :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


what is this? so disturbing, so.... outrageous.... so..... awfully good

Posted 12 Years Ago


Jeremy...this was awesome

Posted 12 Years Ago


Jeremy,

...there IS worse... but THAT isn't the issue. I remember Listening to this "song" and even singing it overseas during times I leave forgotten.

Dealing with personal Hurts (cap intended) takes much more than a simple thought, or a single voice, or any - ANY "...I'm sorry..." but, each hurt needs to be faced or you can't move forward.

Take care,
Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


I know this pain Jeremy. My father..... I've been estranged from him for over 15 years after finding out he preferred my picture along with little kids. I can speak openly about it because I know that "I" did nothing wrong. And to keep my family safe..I had to wash my hands clean of him.....he is dead to me now. Sorry for the ramble...but your writing touched a dark place. I hope this was not from a first person perspective? ((hugs))

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow...this is remarkable in it's delivery and a serious subject matter written with such imagery...powerful work...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Such a sad piece, but very powerful. Great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1157 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 8 Libraries
Added on November 25, 2011
Last Updated on November 25, 2011

Author

Jeremy Baker
Jeremy Baker

Busselton, South West, Australia



About
I'm a former English & Literature teacher who has always enjoyed the magic, power and simple romance of words well written. My favourite writers include Pablo Neruda, Liam O'Flaherty, Anthony Eaton.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


... ...

A Poem by frozensakura