If I should glimpse heaven before you

If I should glimpse heaven before you

A Poem by Jeremy Baker

If I should glimpse heaven before you,

know that I am not more worthy

nor more sinless,

just more weary and more glad.

 

Know this too: I lived, loved and was loved,

and that has been enough.

In your memories, in photos,

in quiet whispered words,

I shall live on: eternally now.

 

My son’s grin, his gestures,

his laughter and his eyes,

shall shout my existence

long after I am cold and gone,

to those for whom heaven

is still over the far horizon.

 

I shall not die, nor ever be forgotten;

just missed.

 

And that shall be enough for me.

© 2012 Jeremy Baker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Jeremy can write. He is one of my favourite poets, simply because he gets it right.This poem is a professional, gifted piece of literature. For example,( I could find loads,)the first line of the second verse - every word fits, the punctuation and use of tenses perfect. And not only that, the content thoughtful and deep, but never trite or sentimental, but wry and modest.A really good poem.



Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this poem is very beautiful in its simplicity; it conveys such a calm serenity not found by many within themselves ..

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jeremy Baker

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your kind words - I'm glad you enjoyed it! :o)
What a touching sentiment in this poem! Indeed, we will live on in the hearts, souls, and minds of those we leave behind....and that makes a difference, doesn't it? Heartfelt words. Lydi**

Posted 9 Years Ago


A simply gorgeous & profound sentiment, beautifully written.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Throughout this piece it made me think who you were "talking" to... at first it felt "intimate" as if speaking to a loved one, and at the end, made me think that you were just talking to "the world" in general.. I love the points you brought up.. I think each one of us has thought about "the mark" that we make on the world and what will be remembered when we are gone.. The "legacy" that we leave behind.. I love the way you describe yours.. "my son's grin, his gestures, his laughter and his eyes..." that is so moving, and beautiful... It sounds as if you have experienced what we all hope for in this life when broken down to the core.. "to live, love, and be loved.." those are the highlights of existence in my opinion.. I forgot I was reading a "poem" and just got lost in your thoughts, and to me that is the sign of a talented writer.. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

9 Years Ago

Thank you for you thoughtful and kind comments. There's a lot to this poem, which was unusually pers.. read more
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

It is beautiful and moving and I, for one, am glad you posted it. It is heartwarming and a joy to re.. read more
This is so well written. It's nice to read poetry like this every once in a while. Great job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

10 Years Ago

Thank you Shaquana, I really appreciate that!
I love the emotion in this poem, it really makes the reader feel. It's very bitter sweet, I liked that. Nice write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Katherine S.

10 Years Ago

You're welcome. :)
still leaves me with the same feelings... and yes, "Good thoughts to echo."

Posted 10 Years Ago


Excellent read and write @ living on in memories.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Memories always live on, both good and bad. They may even fade and take on different shapes or character, but they do live on. A nicely worded poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ry
This is beautifully positive and friendly, which may sound weird when applied to a poem that is ultimately about death. However, I feel the ptimism radiating and satisfaction radiating through your words. I really like this. Great work!

Ryann

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jeremy Baker

11 Years Ago

Thanks Ryann, I'm glad you liked it. I really appreciated your feedback =)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2174 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 14, 2012
Last Updated on May 14, 2012

Author

Jeremy Baker
Jeremy Baker

Busselton, South West, Australia



About
I'm a former English & Literature teacher who has always enjoyed the magic, power and simple romance of words well written. My favourite writers include Pablo Neruda, Liam O'Flaherty, Anthony Eaton.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..