Cars and Blondes

Cars and Blondes

A Story by JohnL
"

'Love' au vin.

"

 

A car came out of nowhere.   Not just any car; this was a 1920 Bugatti with its distinctive inverted horseshoe bonnet, its top down and best of all, a driver whose beauty even a pair of goggles couldn’t hide. Streaming behind this beautiful Valkyrie was a mane of blonde hair, struggling with a scarlet bandanna. Whoosh! Gone!
 
I walked on hardly able to contain myself or control the emotions the duo had engendered.   What beauty! I found it hard to concentrate on the countryside around, the rolling hills and the serried ranks of vines. In my imagination as I walked toward the little town of Langon, I saw a delightfully delicate little foot controlling a mighty 5 litre engine.
 
I pulled myself together. This is a walking holiday. Yes! This is the way to see France. Never mind driving in a sweaty car. I applied my feet to the road and stopping only for a brief ‘degustation’ at the roadside shack of Monsieur Audet, thought of the wonderful food and crisp white sheets that would await me at the Hotel de Ville. 
 
‘I wonder where Valkyrie will be staying tonight?’ I pondered. Probably going through to Bordeaux or even down to Biarritz. I’m not in with a chance. Ah well, c’est la vie.’
 
When I arrived at the hotel it was crowded. If only the blonde beauty could be here. If only.
 
‘Didn’t I pass you on the road this afternoon?’
 
I froze.   Thinks to self ‘Come on. You’re a sophisticated man-about-town with sparkling wit and conversation.’
 
‘Yes’ I heard myself say but thinking, ‘I sound more in control than I feel.’
 
‘Will you have dinner with me?’ I asked, and thought. She’s as beautiful as my first view suggested. Where on earth did the courage come from for that one?
 
‘I’d like that, 9 in the bar suit you?’
 
‘I’ll book a table for 9-30.’
 
She drifted into the bar on time. This was the big opportunity so I was there early, silently rehearsing the line that was to crown the evening. I wanted ‘hands on’ with this one!
 
We dined well. She ate a melting steak and glorious vegetables’ cooked as only the French know how. I chose a 1934 Chateau Leoville Poy Ferré, a Premier Grand Cru. No expense spared. When her car had burst upon me, I knew she had been sent. An omen! Tonight I’d ask the question. I felt anxious beads of sweat forming.
 
Under a seductive French sky, full of romance, she gently took my hand.
 
‘I’m so glad we met. It’s fate,’ she said.
 
‘Joyful serendipity’’ I said, my arm slipping around her.
 
‘You were so romantic as you ordered that beautiful wine’ My Prince Charming. She kissed me lightly, her lips just brushing my cheek but I could feel passion in her trembling body.
 
I bent on one knee.
 
‘There’s something I must ask you, I’ve wanted to ask it all night in fact, ever since you rounded that bend. It was love at first sight, I haven’t felt like this before, - ever.’
 
‘Ask. Please ask’ she pleaded.
 
‘Can I have a drive of your car?’

© 2008 JohnL


Author's Note

JohnL
Don't take it too seriously - it's just a bit of fun. Mind you, I have been to Langon and I have drunk Chateau Leoville Poy Ferre 1934 - No blonde though, I'm afraid.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Just so you know, your postings long ago and way back here are still being read. Lots of fun...

Posted 14 Years Ago


HAHAHAHAH beautiful , cheers Bravo .... I love how your stories take me with you to those lovely places, to drink a glass with you, to watch the girls walking by, to close my eyes and wish , your stories will someday , be real .. well even close to that I buy, just to be in France now lol .... you really make me hard time with the contest, too many good works!! ,.... Shalom Yossi

Posted 15 Years Ago


Well, at least she got a hot dinner out of it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I actually laughed aloud at the end of this story - again, as before, a surprise ending, a twist to the tale!

Your stories are calm in style, whatever the scene and the conversation flows very naturally. I'd like to think you'd put all of your stories into a book..

Thank you for sharing the ambiance, a really enjoyable read and, a kick at the end.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very descriptive without it coming across like a lecture. Effectively created the environment of being in Europe. Further supports the idea that you can't write about a place to which you haven't been.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Fast car, a hot blonde, good food and a great little story. This was fun to read I love the question popped at the ending. Made me smile.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Classy cars, desireable dames, and a fine wine. Now that's a winning combination. My trips to France were not ideal, either. A sailor on shore leave, I could only look and long, for the most part. A great little story, John! Sam

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
7 Reviews
Added on May 19, 2008
Last Updated on June 1, 2008

Author

JohnL
JohnL

Wirral Peninsula, United Kingdom



About
I live in England, and love the English countryside, the music of Elgar and Holst which describes it so beautifully and the poetry of John Clare, the 'peasant poet' and Gerard Manley Hopkins, which d.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..