Medina.

Medina.

A Poem by Joshua Lean

It is often said that Medina was born mad and speechless,
Her red-clay lips meeting each other like lovers but never loving themselves enough to make any words.
Or perhaps loving themselves too much to give in to the coarse cigarette claw of speech.
Perhaps,she was after all wiser than all of us.


The slippery black coal steps of the old library was home to her first nightmare and her grumbling stomach.
It rained and they shivered in the cold like outcasts - like words that were not meant to be said.
She was seven when her destitute mother realized that the child she bore to a cursed man was also cursed.
Medina,though unable to see through the thick darkness,knew when her mother left her.
She knew because she no longer felt like ice sprawled lazily on aching teeth.
But she shed no tears for she was not remarkable.

The man who carried her blue,ultrathin body from the slippery black steps was called Billy.
More than anything,it was a name she wished she said.
She wished she said it in slow intervals and then she wished she said it upside down and brushing her teeth.
Billy had the face of a man who when faced with good reason would stop his own heart.
But his heart beat for many a year,
In short gasping rhythms as if it drowned.
Medina heard it anytime his caterpillar hands carried her - it ran through her entire body and made her own heart respond in eruptions.
The day Billy's cold body was lowered into the earth,she wanted to call his name and make the sound ricochet off the walls of her moth and into his chest but she couldn't for she was not remarkable.

Having lived eighteen years,and found no better use for her hands than to caress whispering tree barks and dusty book shelves,Medina's fingers had the slow,acrid scent of firewood.

Jerry.
Jerry was tall and his lips were crusty and bulbous.
After their first awkward kiss,came many first awkward kisses.
He was a sunset that kept replaying itself in the back of her throat,
After another first awkward kiss he told her a simple truth in less impressive words than this - She was not remarkable.


It was a truth she came to know very well because it violated her.
Time and again,
Slicing her protestations with every cold,painful thrust.
She stood under tired moons whose backs ached from tossing and turning,
The forlorn creak of her spine was a bewitching sound.
And it only seemed to remind her that She had failed.
She knew that the function of days was not for second chances but for finding the broken pieces of a belated gift from a giver that liked to play games.
But her eyes were sore,and looking for things was never her favorite pass time.


At 32,Medina found aquariums exciting,
She bought two.
She watched the tiny,bright creatures move in the water like indecisive fires.
A fire came rumbling down one afternoon,his name was Pete and he wanted a glass of water.
He burned her like a shy fever,arousing her desire only to retreat through the spaces in his teeth.
She found that unlike trees suggest,Love was not a fruit you picked in ripeness for it tasted better when immature.


He knew where her words lay nested.
The way her ears perked up to tell a bad joke only his fluorescent eyes could understand.
He spoke a language that was not too different from hers.
And they made no sounds when their laps locked in languid lyricism.
They let their nothings undress in privacy,
Revealing parts of themselves the other did not know.
Jagged edges falling into their places.


Slightly tilting her jawline and raising her eyebrows,Medina told tales in a way they were never told.
Stretching each scar to reveal a poem.
Her bruises were famous for their haiku.
But he grew wise and tired,too wise and too tired.
Her words now choked him,
Caused him to writhe and scratch at his windpipes.
And so it was,that with one last joke,the fire vanished.
But its shadow stood,still.
A reminder that she was not remarkable.

But that,that was all too long ago.
Now on this drunken December,
Padded walls groan their discomfort in her failing ears.
As thirty one cicadas sing their ugly song,
Medina remembers the faces of the men who could have loved her.
Men whose ribs could have poked hers until she forgot what it felt like to remember.


The clock strikes twelve,
And Medina's hand goes limp.
The padded walls cease their groaning,
As her ghost whispers into the ears of a bleak January morning.



-JSL.

© 2013 Joshua Lean


Author's Note

Joshua Lean
What do you feel?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
~ ah... i feel that those who are not remarkable are so remarkable... that just because no one notices them... they disintegrate... until they find out how to be very quiet... and pursue excellence... then, slowly they are noticed by some people... and they find peace in being noticed just a bit... because they don't like recognition... it seems like something that is unaesthetic... and crude... and when it is excessive... even vulgar... ~ medina knew that if she was with someone... she would forget to remember... but she chose a tough life... because she knew things that no one else did... and she couldn't have died without sharing her wisdom... she was an angel... not the kind who is made in heaven by the Gods... but the kind who creates heaven on earth... with a devotion to humanity... that was unmatched... because it was severe... ~ those who got choked by her words thought they were getting choked because they could simply not accept wisdom from such a simple person... they were actually learning more from that experience of getting choked... they were learning what it's like to not be choked...ever... she showed them the light of freedom and it was a very real freedom... not the one that was projected as freedom... she was someone who was not a victim of hype... or so i think and feel...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua Lean

11 Years Ago

I love how you go in-depth on this. I totally agree with you!

Thank you!
.

11 Years Ago

~ my privilege...



Reviews

Deeply and protestingly sad. For me, the whole sorrowful saga is boiled down to the one line : Her bruises were famous for their haiku.
I hear an echo resounding from Cat Steven's song "Sad Lisa"... from a time at the beginning of the 70s when I tended the wounds of a blossoming love who used to self-harm because she wanted recognition from her Dad for her painting. He is dead, we parted 40 years ago and now she is a brilliant painter and illustrater. Such a memory you have brought back to me. She was ,however, remarkable.

Posted 11 Years Ago


amazingly poignant, poem your words captured here. i love your choice of words, and how you used them. wonderfully written. thanks for sharing :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Joshua Lean

11 Years Ago

Anytime. Thank you!
ms. barrie

11 Years Ago

:) you wecloem...oops...welcome
very tragic narrative woven in interesting form.

the silence of medina on all the advances committed against her seemingly made her not quite remarkable but beneath her silence, is a strong tough person, that makes her remarkable. interesting write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Joshua Lean

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
"but never loving themselves enough to make any words" beautiful description man, reminds me of someone :)


Posted 11 Years Ago


How do I feel? To state it plainly...sad.
This piece is "remarkable". It reminds me, or at least, Medina reminds me of El..Unfortunately her name escapes me, she is known as the "wicked witch of the west" yet in the amazing tale of her life in "wicked" she was not wicked at all. I feel sad that I can relate too closely to both, Medina and The Character from wicked whose name escapes me in my pain induced unfocused mind this morning. Your writing is always impressive. Not wantiny to offend others in the cafe, yet unable to stiffle my own honesty, you are the only one who has drawn my complete attention, the attention I preserve for authors such as George R. R. Martin the way you can spin a tale that intrigues me. I normally stick to reading poetry here in the cafe. So you have given me a gift my friend. Thank you.
As I express my sadness from the story, Medina will remain REMARKABLE in my heart.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
~ ah... i feel that those who are not remarkable are so remarkable... that just because no one notices them... they disintegrate... until they find out how to be very quiet... and pursue excellence... then, slowly they are noticed by some people... and they find peace in being noticed just a bit... because they don't like recognition... it seems like something that is unaesthetic... and crude... and when it is excessive... even vulgar... ~ medina knew that if she was with someone... she would forget to remember... but she chose a tough life... because she knew things that no one else did... and she couldn't have died without sharing her wisdom... she was an angel... not the kind who is made in heaven by the Gods... but the kind who creates heaven on earth... with a devotion to humanity... that was unmatched... because it was severe... ~ those who got choked by her words thought they were getting choked because they could simply not accept wisdom from such a simple person... they were actually learning more from that experience of getting choked... they were learning what it's like to not be choked...ever... she showed them the light of freedom and it was a very real freedom... not the one that was projected as freedom... she was someone who was not a victim of hype... or so i think and feel...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua Lean

11 Years Ago

I love how you go in-depth on this. I totally agree with you!

Thank you!
.

11 Years Ago

~ my privilege...
*applause* bravo!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lilly Negoi

11 Years Ago

:) mon plaisir
Joshua Lean

11 Years Ago

People tell me that I over-alliterate, so I put up "Misery Road".
I'm about to step on some t.. read more
Lilly Negoi

11 Years Ago

:))) i'll volunteer my toes to see how badly you're able to step on them. going to see that now - yo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 29, 2013
Last Updated on January 29, 2013

Author

Joshua Lean
Joshua Lean

About
I am a worker in words. And these words cannot be made to work for others. They are slaves to neither party nor position. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Oasis Oasis

A Chapter by Renée


 If If

A Chapter by Renée