Prelude

Prelude

A Chapter by -Jaime-

I watch the sunrise from the roof of my cabin.  Laying at the very top, hidden from anyone below, I feel somewhat at ease.  I have felt her beneath me for the past hour.  She turned restlessly in her sleep looking for my warmth.  The moment came when I knew if I didn’t leave her side I would be unable to let her go ever again.  Even now I want to go back to her.  I wait impatiently for her to finally leave; to put as much distance between us as she can. 

“Galen!”  She calls after me, stepping out of the cabin.  I can sense her disappointment and the hurt when I refuse to answer; but I have to keep her away from me, as hard as it is. 

She walks slowly into the woods, the emptiness building on me with every one of her steps.  I close my eyes and let the heat of the early sun soak into me, the odor of the mossy trees below me drifts all around with the heaviness of morning dew. 

“Geez, I miss you already.” I say to myself, loosing track of her in the safety of the new day.  I know that if she never sees me again it’ll mean she’s safe.  That the only reason we would ever cross paths again is if It comes back for her.  And yet I lay here selfishly wishing harm on her, if just so I have an excuse to hold her in my arms again. 

Everything’s a mess.

What’d she do to me?

                                 ******************************

I felt my mind slowly awake from dreams I couldn’t remember.  I tried to open my eyelids but they shut themselves back down, there was a moment of panic when I thought I’d be forced to stay in that half asleep state, but finally after a deep breath my eyelids gave and the grogginess lifted.  The room was dark and cold; humidity permeated the air and made my skin clammy.  I lifted the light sheet that covered me, moving slowly to fight a dizziness that made it hard to think.  My unsteady feet began to thread in the moist tiles that covered the floor while I tried to figure out where I was. 

“Mom!” I screamed, as the memories of what happened outside my house rushed into me.  I tried to run, but the slick floor prevented me from taking more than two steps before I skidded into a wall, bouncing heavily and ending on the floor.  I slid on my back until a large piece of furniture halted me, my body twisting around it. 

“You should’ve stayed in bed.”  A tired voice echoed nearby.  I heard the grinding of his palm against the stone wall as he searched for a light switch.  The glow was intense, blinding, I closed my eyes and ran my hand across my face sure I would find blood after my little run in with the wall.

“Don’t worry, you’re fine.  Though you’re probably gonna have a nasty bump.“

“I’m springy.” I said, remembering what my mom used to tell me whenever I had one of my frequent accidents.  He grabbed my arm and my shoulder and pulled me up, pointing towards a reading chair on the other side of the room.  I moved carefully through the wet tiles, a sharp throbbing in my head building as I walked. 

My body fell awkwardly onto the chair.  I pulled my legs up to my chest and forced them inside of my pajama shirt.  I rested my head against my knees and picked up a trail of my mother’s perfume that most likely transferred to the shirt when she hugged me to protect me.  It was my mother’s last gifts to me; my life, and her smell on my ragged clothing.

I cried.

It was several minutes before I was able to get myself under control; even after that an occasional sob would escape me when I tried to fill my lungs.  He stood across from me, in the same spot where he had picked me up, leaning against what I could now see was a large wood and glass cabinet filled with assorted weapons.  He waited patiently for me to finish, never rushing me to calm down or trying to tell me it was alright.  He granted me the right to be in pain, to grieve; even if all I could get was a few minutes to shed tears for my mother, he let me have those tears to myself; it was the only thing I could offer her. 

“Would you hate me if I told you I should have been there to save her?”

“She’s gone.” I said; not sure if I was asking him or telling him.  He nodded.  I wanted to cry again.  I finally felt strong enough to raise my head and saw the tired face that went along with the tired voice.  I wanted to thank him, but it hurt too bad to think she was dead and I wasn’t.

“What was that thing?”  I asked the only thought that was clear in my head. 

“I think we should go upstairs.” He said with a sigh.  “We have a lot to talk about.”

 



© 2009 -Jaime-


Author's Note

-Jaime-
Very tired, lots of things going on.... expect mistakes; sorry. To WriterMe I revised for excess commas, but I know some slipped through so feel free to be harsh (though some are there to make a pause for emphasis, I swear sometimes I do know what I'm doing, even when it looks otherwise!!) I'm really sorry about how short the chapters are, I know I'm not advancing the story too quickly, but right now it's the only way I'll actually write (hectic hectic). I'll prly combine some chapters as I go along.

Thanks for reviewing!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

great description; allows for clear imagery. I like how the first paragraph kind of forshadows and gives insight to the strange events that happened in the last chapter and reveals knowledge the father held about the "thing." I agree with you that the chapter is pretty short and the ending seems a little rushed to me but I like how the mc seems somewhat mature and grown up for his age which im assuming is fairly young. Its a good start, you keep us in suspense!! I look forward to reading more and seeing how you further develop the plot and characters.

Posted 14 Years Ago


grrrr.... great detail i wish i could write like that. great job:)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2009
Last Updated on December 17, 2009


Author

-Jaime-
-Jaime-

West Palm Beach, FL



About
I go to school, work a lot, and try to have some fun in between. I'm laid back, but blow up astronomically when my patience runs out. I'm stubborn as hell, and think I'm always right. I'm always ri.. more..

Writing
Green Eyes Green Eyes

A Story by -Jaime-


Breath Breath

A Book by -Jaime-


Under The Moon Under The Moon

A Chapter by -Jaime-