Steamtrain

Steamtrain

A Story by Joshua Carl Cruz

Mounting the train and waving back, you trailing behind the already moving cars
shouting up at my window, I will wait for you! I love you! 
My lungs take in the steam of the train mixed with your lavendar scent. 
I smile wide knowing you will. 
A thousand years from now if we returned somehow as unaged youths, our love would still remain unassailably true.  
Shrinking into the distance, eventually merging, you become the horizon and I muse after you.  
Your lingering perfume on my skin drags last nights memories back intop the open. 
Such a woman could never have been! 
Lingerie barely visible against the outline of your waist. 
You were all dolled up from your head down to your delectable, little toes. 
One night, and one night only, in the back room with you and I was in love. 
A private show hidden behind quietly closed doors, displayed for myself and myself 
alone.  
What wonders my eyes beheld!  
Your exposed legs walked gracefully across the formica rug in those carefully chosen red high heels, the ones with just the right sized pumps.  
Resistance was utterly impossible in her presence, a goddess made flesh- this woman borne upon the foamy conch.  
My eyes flutter from each obscene recollection.  
The creaking weight, the clickety-clacking, and screeching brakes become a soundtrack to my reminiscing.  
I find a loose strand of hair and absentmindedly circle it around my finger like a ring wishing you were here. 
Could you have come with me to this interview, my darling?  
When I get home we could still go and try our luck in the big city.  
Get married.  
Buy a home.  
Raise kids together and grow old.  
This offorded opportunity takes me away from everything I love, and as it does I can see my heart too, shrinking from view, flattening, becoming one with the sorrowful horizon and you.  
I want you here, my dear.     
The train whistle howls on pitch with my soul.  
Every spike in the gravel a breadcrumb lining my pathway back home. 

© 2017 Joshua Carl Cruz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Jabnabba, I enjoyed this piece, though I would not call it a short story -- there isn't a change in the protagonist and although the conflict is between his staying and leaving, I don't really see a plot. Having said that, the writing is very lyrical. My thought is that it could either be a part of a longer piece where a plot is developed or it could be a poem. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua Carl Cruz

8 Years Ago

Taylor, out of any review I've received I look to yours to renew the work. I love that you just sai.. read more



Reviews

I love how you kept reminding us between the metaphor of the train and the memories of your love. Very well done !

Posted 8 Years Ago


Jabnabba, I enjoyed this piece, though I would not call it a short story -- there isn't a change in the protagonist and although the conflict is between his staying and leaving, I don't really see a plot. Having said that, the writing is very lyrical. My thought is that it could either be a part of a longer piece where a plot is developed or it could be a poem. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua Carl Cruz

8 Years Ago

Taylor, out of any review I've received I look to yours to renew the work. I love that you just sai.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 23, 2015
Last Updated on August 2, 2017

Author

Joshua Carl Cruz
Joshua Carl Cruz

Mexico City, D.F., Mexico



About
I've been working at figuring out what writing means to me. So far, it means just that, writing. A lot of it. more..

Writing