Granite Chapter 1

Granite Chapter 1

A Chapter by JacksonSieg
"

Docter Harvey Macleod awakes in a freezing capsule, unable to remember where he is, or what he did last. An adventure of Science, Evolution, and Exploration await. This is only the beginning.

"
By Jackson Touchberry
     
     Harvey awoke to a small shock in the arm. His eyes were heavy, and could barely move. He slumped to the floor of his metal prison, unaware of anything going on. He was so, very tired. He wracked his brain, trying to remember something. All he knew was that his name was Harvey Macleod, and he was 27. 
      Then, it came to him. He was a Zoologist. Leader in his field. He had no family, and was abandoned at birth. He clawed his way through school to become a Scientist. He had graduated with his masters in 3 years. PHD in 4. Harvey rubbed his throbbing head, trying to recall the last thing he did. He vaguely remembered 2364, The year of Expansion. The Mars Protests, and the Venisians voting for independence. The Earth Government passing Legislation to start Colonial expeditions to Orion, Apollo, and Darwin, setting up human colonies in other solar systems. 2365. The year Earth was deemed unfit for human Civilization. Then, the job. The ultimate sacrifice. How he had ended up in his freezing metal box. He signed up for a survey of Evolution, being suspended in time, emerging centuries later to document how life on Earth has changed, and then forwarding the info to the Human colonies elsewhere in the galaxy. But after that, blackness. As his strength grew, he stood again to bang on the door.
      "HEEEY! IS ANYONE OUT THERE!?" He called, banging on the hatch.
     Warm air rushed in, pressurizing the canister. Harvey took a deep breath. The hatch slowly opened to reveal a floating Orb. The Strange thing hovered around the canister, slowly changing colors, from red to blue to green.
     "Hello, Doctor Macleod. My Name is Evo2368. I am at your service."
Harvey nodded at the orb, it's voice was human like, though slightly metallic sounding. It spoke with perfect diction. 
     "Evo, where am I?"
     Harvey asked, attempting to clamber out of his chamber. 
     "Doctor, you are in the Granite research facility, located 2 miles beneath where New York once stood."
     Harvey took a step outside of the Canister with shaking feet, attempting to keep his balance.
     "New York. Great. I love New York. What year is it?"
     Following Harvey with every move he made, Evo faded into a soothing green.
     "Doctor, it is year 500,000,567 C.E."
     Stunned, Harvey almost lost his footing, and any progress he had just made.
     "Th-That can't be right! I was asleep for 500 Million years!?
     "Yes doctor. 499,998,201 Years to be precise."
     "That's impossible! There is no way I could have survived that long!"
     "But Doctor, you have survived. And so has your crew."
     "C-Crew? I have a crew? The research is still on?" 
     "Why Yes, doctor. The Council eagerly awaits news of your discoveries."
Harvey fell to the floor, barely catching himself. 
     "Now there's a council? So humans are still out there?"
     "Of course, Doctor. Trillions. Though, not as you knew them. Are we ready to continue?"
     Harvey hobbled to his feet again, then took a deep breath. He looked around the room. It was pure white, with no imperfections. Harvey looked back at Evo, who was silently floating around the room. 
      "Let's go," He said, making it to the far wall.
     "Of course, Doctor." A doorway appeared from the wall, and Harvey clambered through it. It led to a larger room, similar to the last. But with lockers lining the walls. "Doctor, these lockers are full of equipment. I Highly recommend suiting up." Harvey nodded, and began opening the lockers. 
     He found a jumpsuit made of a strange fiber, and with an electrical device on the back. He quickly put it on, and moved onto the next. Inside was a belt with a pistol holster attached, he grabbed it, then strung it around his waste. He closed the locker, and moved to the next one. Inside was a concussion pistol, a non-lethal cartridge gun. He slipped it into the holster. "Never used one of these." He said. He moved to the next locker, Inside were two strange gloves, with metal coatings on the fingers. Harvey shrugged, then put them on. In the Next locker were steel toed working boots. Harvey put them on, and began tying. Evo floated over. "Doctor, it would appear you are well prepared for the outside world, are you ready to receive your documentation device?" Harvey finished tying, then stood up. "Of course, Evo." Evo spat out a small, square, device. "Place that in the palm of your hand. I will do the rest." Harvey did, and a slight jolt shot up through his arm. "Whenever you come across a new species, electrocute it with this glove. I will document all internal structures from here, and send a diagram to the council." Harvey rubbed his hand. "And what do I do, exactly?" Evo switched to a light blue. "When you gather the data, record a small sound byte of what you theorize the creature's evolutionary lineage to be." Harvey nodded, then walked to the other far end of the room. "Let's get started." Evo flew to the wall, and then opened the door. The next room was hardly the same. It was rusted, gray, and destroyed. Moss grew from the ceiling, and strange bushes of lichen sprung up from the ground in patches. Harvey hovered his glove around the room, as it gave off a blue light. Nothing moved. Harvey continued moving through the room, when a door opened, spreading it's white light throughout the room. A woman dressed the same as Harvey stepped out, followed by a similar Orb. This one changed between Orange, Purple, and White. Harvey lowered his glove. "Hello?" He said. She walked towards him. Harvey could make out features, she was an Asian woman in her 20's. She stuck out her hand. "Hello." She said. "Name's Lizz, and you're Doctor Macleod?" Harvey nodded, taking her hand and shaking it. "Evo told me you're the crew leader." Said Lizz. Harvey nodded. "It'd appear that way. Do you know anyone else here?" Lizz shook her head. Evo floated between the two. "Sergeant Anderson and Doctor Stinsey should be awake now." Harvey sighed, "Well alright, then let's wait." A moment later, Another door opened. An African American Man dressed similar to Lizz and Harvey stepped out, though his equipment was slightly different. A rifle was slung on his back, and he was wearing a helmet. He saluted. "Sgt. Anderson, reporting for duty." He said. Harvey shook his hand. "Nice to meet you Sgt. I was not aware we had an Army Man on our expedition." Anderson laughed. "Me neither." The Last door opened. Harvey turned to see no one. He raised his glove, and walked towards the door. The room was empty. The fourth Orb was smashed on the floor. Evo floated in to investigate the scene. "Fascinating. It appears this Capsule was opened 5 years ago..."  Harvey was stunned. "Well, then where did the occupant go?" Evo changed to a Red hue. "It would appear he left for the above world." Lizz peered into the room. 
    "Let's get up there!" Anderson pressed a button on the next far wall. Nothing happened. Evo, Lizz, and Harvey followed. "Evo, can you do anything?" Harvey asked. Evo floated along the wall, inspecting it. A distant rumbling began. As the doorway opened, an emergency elevator floated to the floor. The crew stepped onto it, then turned to look at Evo. Evo was stationary, and had turned to a light blue. "Evo, you coming?" Lizz asked. "No, Ms. Lizz. I cannot go to the surface. I was made for this room. I will be in contact, though." Harvey sighed, then waved at the strange orb, as the elevator began to move upwards. It rushed faster and faster towards the surface. "Sooo... Liz, what do you study?" Harvey asked. "I'm a Botanist, doctor!"She replied with a smile. The Elevator started to slow, as a blast door on the surface began to open. "And Anderson, what do you do?" Harvey asked. Stiffening, Anderson replied. "Sir, I was hired to protect any and all civilians on this expedition." Harvey nodded. "Well, I hope that won't be necessary." The Elevator came to a screeching halt on the surface, and the crew found themselves in a lush forest, with the strange sounds of arboreal creatures filling the air. "Let's get going." Harvey said, setting off into the forest.


© 2012 JacksonSieg


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your idea is intriguing. I have no idea what you have imagined for 500,0000,0000 years in the future, which as a reader throws me off. I don't know what to expect, and I think that is a good thing. Keeps us engaged. I would consider moving your second paragraph down a ways or scratching it all together. The information you tell us could be revealed through the story. All we really need to know is that he is a doctor, he is confused and their is this machine zapping him awake. Maybe he and Evo could have some dialogue, about who he is, and the government. By skipping through that second paragraph you will engage your readers a little faster. So just a thought feel free to shoot it down.
Hope it was helpful and keep writing. I will take a look at your other chapters and keep reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your idea is intriguing. I have no idea what you have imagined for 500,0000,0000 years in the future, which as a reader throws me off. I don't know what to expect, and I think that is a good thing. Keeps us engaged. I would consider moving your second paragraph down a ways or scratching it all together. The information you tell us could be revealed through the story. All we really need to know is that he is a doctor, he is confused and their is this machine zapping him awake. Maybe he and Evo could have some dialogue, about who he is, and the government. By skipping through that second paragraph you will engage your readers a little faster. So just a thought feel free to shoot it down.
Hope it was helpful and keep writing. I will take a look at your other chapters and keep reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

411 Views
1 Review
Added on June 30, 2012
Last Updated on June 30, 2012
Tags: Science, Evolution, scifi, future, adventure, scientist, zoo


Author

JacksonSieg
JacksonSieg

Ypsi, NY



About
My name is Jackson. I, like errone else on this site, love to write. However, I also have a fascination with Zoology, Speculative Evolution, and Astrobiology. Basically, I like animals, how they evolv.. more..

Writing
Granite Granite

A Book by JacksonSieg