Death's Prey

Death's Prey

A Story by Flopp
"

Started off with colours into something... dark.

"

Fiery red leaves glided silently on to the moist ground; hundreds of years of dead leaves had formed a comfortable carpet of damp leaves. Tall thin trees stretched their branches towards the beautiful sky; a mixture of crimson, gold and warm yellow. The arms of the trees grasped desperately at the dying glow of the radiant sun.


A lonely traveller strided on the path of dead leaves, leaving heavy and muddy footprints behind him. Glancing at the sky, the sun set her light on his face, lighting it like fire. He stopped and admired the beauty of nature, closing his eyes and feeling warm. looking closely, his face was wisened from wrinkles and he had a short untidy beard. The clothes were dirty, ripped and old.


Opening his eyes, he noticed that darkness had descended as quick as the blink of an eye. Thick white fog blinded his vision until he couldn't even see his hand. The traveller quickened his pace squelching the new leaves; because he knew the forest was changing. Until only moments ago the forest had been like a paradise. Now it was turning into a nightmare. CRACK! ‘What was that?’ he thinks. CRUNCH! A sickening ripping noise was emerging from the darkness and the trees now seemed threatening shadows, daring him to go on.


‘This is crazy’ he thinks to himself ‘It's only the animals.’ Beads of sweat slipped down his spine, sending shivers throughout his body. A foul smell flooded his nose and left an unpleasant after taste in the back of his mouth. Stopping, he turned around to see what the source of the smell was, where he glanced at two angry red eyes staring holes into him! His skin turned pale, as white as cream. Slowly, the eyes started to close the distance between him, and the traveller started running frantically. He could feel the hot damp breath on his neck, forcing him to go forwards towards the dark foreboding trees.


The claws of the creature clashed with each other as it carried on  its relentless pursuit for its prey. The creature raised one massive paw and brought it down on the back of the traveller’s back. Three rivers of blood flowed freely on the blank canvas of the traveller’s back. The old man stopped and faced the creature, just as a brilliant white shaft of light hits the beast. On first glance,  he can see massive muscles rippling across the body of the bear-like creature. It had a short snout with blood red tongues flickering across the razor sharp teeth. The black fur was flecked with blood that glistened like ruby.


Suddenly, the monstrosity howled in pain as a familiar sickening rip echoed throughout the woods; the bear shape taking a humanoid form as bones crunched and muscles shifted. The traveller gazed in a mixture of awe and horror as the wild animal took a more ghastly form. An angel. Jet black wings, with a tint of red, sprouted out of the angel’s back whilst at the same time a ghostly scythe appeared in the hand of the angel. The head was covered in a black hood, hiding any features the angel had, although the black cavernous space seemed to suck the light around the hood. A low ghostly whisper seemed to speak to the traveller from everywhere, yet nowhere at once. His blood ran cold as he realised with dawning horror, what the angel was whispering. ‘Your time has come, old man!’ it screeched ‘Your soul will be mine!’. Old? the traveller wasn't that old; but he began to think otherwise as his hands and face started to age rapidly. Grey clumps of hair gave away to the gentle pull of the old man’s hand.


Out of nowhere, with a strike as quick as lightning, the angel drove its hand through the old man’s chest, gripping his wildly throbbing scarlet heart. “Please, ” gasped the old man “I can't die just yet.” However the angel ignored him and pulled viciously at the heart and squeezed it slowly. Screams of terror and pain echoed throughout the forest as the pure essence of his dark red soul dripped slowly down the angels vice grip. The black space sucked up the ghastly liquid from its hand, and dumped the lifeless and limp body to the ground. Gazing up at the stars, the angel relished the moment and burst into a million feathers; fading into the dark woods; to kill the next unlucky victim that dared enter its domain.

© 2015 Flopp


Author's Note

Flopp
Ignore any grammar and punctuation issues :) Thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed the dark twist to this! I tend to do the same thing with my writing as well! Very well written and enjoyable. Has a beautiful flow and great imagery!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
1 Review
Added on November 29, 2015
Last Updated on November 29, 2015

Author

Flopp
Flopp

London, United Kingdom



About
I like fantasy and adventure. I like stories better than poems! more..

Writing