THE QUEEN BEE- Chapter 2 - Death of a saint

THE QUEEN BEE- Chapter 2 - Death of a saint

A Chapter by Jake Dyson

Chapter 2 - Death of a saint 
One week before- 
The suburban street was quiet; Dim Street lights lit the road with shadows a plenty. The terraced houses enclosed a warm breeze that brushed across her brown spotted grey hair and the wrinkled soft gentle features. She sat waiting on the porch rocking slowly in her chair. From her position she could see both ends of the street, left then right she looked, watching for anything out of the ordinary. She was in her mid-fifty’s but she late forties you couldn't tell she was a mother of five, she had been a house wife for most of her life, filling in part time at the youth clinic when she needed a change of scenery. 
She eager to see her husband Ian, who had been out working since dawn. In twenty seven years that they had been married they never missed a day without dinner together, so she had reason to worry when he had not come home. What worried her most was he’d not even phoned to say he'd be late; it was common he was late but he always let her know. Sometimes he would stay and help others out at the wood mill, a large shipment maybe, but he’d always let her know to keep the food warm. She didn't mind waiting for a late supper till he arrived home, it was an easy task reheating dinner especially for a family of seven. It was the kids that got rowdy and irate but she didn't mind feeding them, it would give her and Ian a chance to catch up on their day in peace.
She had been waiting for well over an hour when two lights came around Benson's bend.  Leaning forward in her chair she peered over her glasses, it didn't help but Mary was anxious to see her husband, to know he was ok. 
The car drove slowly up the street as if to search for a certain house, as it got into her vision she noticed it was a police car, her heart beating faster as she stood up, her hands became sweaty as she hoped it would pass by, it didn't. Pulling up to the pavement a tall dark looking officer got slowly out. She stood still watching him with agonizing fear as he approached up the drive, all she could think about was how he needed to shave his moustache off, it was big and dirty like a brush it seemed to give off the impression he was hiding something. As he got to the steps of her porch he spoke in a soft Latin-American accent- “Mrs Bee?” asked the officer- “Yes!” -she replied abruptly- “I mean, Yes officer, I'm Mrs.Bee” " she replied regaining her composure. “Mam, can I come in? asked the officer politely - “Yes of course…Officer”- She peered at his uniform but the shadow made it difficult to see, noticing her curiosity he spoke softly - “Officer Rodriguez mam, I'm sorry Sheriff Dyke couldn't be here he will see you soon, could I…” " She raised her hand as to stop him - “Officer, please tell me what is it? Is it my boys? Is it my girls!?... It’s not Ian!?” " The quick bolt of panic within her turning to desperation, the tension was beginning to make her feel nauseated. 
She made him a cup of tea while he re-laid the story of what had happened, she fell to her knees in agony sending the cup smashing to the floor, she did not feel the crunch of her knee’s but the pain of her heart only the type that true love can bring. He had died trying to protect a boy from two hooded robbers, stabbed in the neck and heart he died within seconds. Ian Bee was a respected member of the local community who helped many disadvantaged people; he had a heart of gold some would say. The influx of poor ethnic nationals had slowly started to take over the east side of town which wasn't far from Ian's place of work, in fact it was usually the new migrant workers that he would stay behind to help, they were always keen to learn and he respected them for it. 
The officer sat there in silence fiddling awkwardly with his hat while she kneeled down with the tears streaming down her face, her hands shaking as she attempted to pick up the broken tea cup - “I'm sorry officer, I… I” -she began to weep uncontrollably. A sound of footsteps took Officer Rodriguez by surprise as Debra, Mary’s eldest daughter came rushing in- “mum!?”- She looked at the officer, then at her mum and then back at the officer - “what’s going on?”- asked a confused Debra as she stood there in the doorway. Mary carried on picking up the pieces as if Debra wasn't there, the officer sat there unsure of what to do. Worried Debra asked again - “mum what’s going? Why are you crying?” " she began to walk over to the mess on the floor, going to the cupboard she grabbed some paper towels and began mopping up the tea - “thanks Deb’s, I need you to sit down and wait for a minute” - asked Mary turning and putting on a brave face to her daughter of twenty two, she was short and slim with pretty eyes and a soft jaw line with soft golden brown hair that covered her neatly tucked ear’s. “mum, what’s” “please Debs just give me a minute” interrupted her mother as she wiped her eyes turning towards officer Rodriguez -“ sorry officer “ " “no, no its understandable and I'm terribly sorry for your..” “Thank you officer, please tell Dyke I’ll be over tomorrow” " responded Mary as she walked over to the door ushering him out politely, she didn't want Debbie find out like this. 
She watched him as he walked to his car, giving him a gentle wave as he looked back before shutting his car door.  Watching as he drove off she shut the door bursting into tears as she slid down against the door, it had taken so much energy to keep it together for those last couple of minutes. Debbie who had watched her mother act very strange ran over as soon as she saw her break down - “mum! Oh my god what the hell’s the matter? Why was He, here? Please” " she begged a desperate Debbie cradling her mother who wept burying herself further into her daughters’ arms.  
It wasn't long until Mary told her of their tragic loss but it took all her might to do so, they both sat on the sofa cuddling and consoling one another. After what seemed like hour’s Debbie sat back as Mary looked up at her - “What is it?” - Murmured Mary as she sat up - “how are we going to tell the others?  It’s going to destroy Kevin” " her chin began to shake then the tears began to roll down her soft white cheeks, her foundation crisped from the previous flood of tears. Mary put her arm around Debbie kissing her head -“don’t you worry sweetheart, leave it to me. I'm his mother he should hear it from me” - Mary tried to sound brave as she let out a sigh as she rested her head on her daughters - “oh Debbie, I miss your father” " “me too mum, me too”. 


© 2013 Jake Dyson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
Added on September 8, 2013
Last Updated on September 8, 2013


Author

Jake Dyson
Jake Dyson

North, England, United Kingdom



About
It's been many years since I made this account. I haven't written much for a long time but I find myself coming back every now and then. Thanks for stopping by. more..

Writing
Regrettable Regrettable

A Story by Jake Dyson


Seeing Seeing

A Poem by Jake Dyson