THE QUEEN BEE- Chapter 3 - The line is drawn

THE QUEEN BEE- Chapter 3 - The line is drawn

A Chapter by Jake Dyson
"

Please read chapter 1 & 2 first, the next chapter of the novel.

"

Chapter 3 - The line is drawn


The next day-


She had identified her husband’s body; written out the appropriate documents and spoke to the coroner about the funeral proceedings. Everyone had been as considerate as possible while she fought through the tears; there was a sense of tension that wafted through the air as if a storm was brewing from the death of one of the towns most liked. Sheriff Dyke had stood by her side all the way; they had been close growing up him and Mary. Dyke had been Ian’s friend and team mate on the college football team but had been distant the past couple of years. Originally Dyke had dated Mary, but had ended it shortly after Ian and she had shared a brief kiss. Sheriff Dyke never really forgave Ian or Mary and when they married Dyke became ever more distant from them as the years went by.  For the first time in a long while they were alone in his office, he stared out the window as she sat opposite his desk, a tissue mopping up her wet nose. He wasn't sure what to say or how to comfort her, all he could think of was the time she finished him and how dead he felt inside. His thoughts were broken when she croaked up with the question �" “Why?”- Asked Mary rhetorically, He turned around leaning his hand on the back of his chair �" “I'm sorry Mary” �" he replied it was all he could muster.


Looking up at him through watery eyes she spoke calmly �" “Herman, I want you to promise me something” “Anything, Anything I can do just ask”- responded an eager officer Dyke �" “I want you to find whoever did this to my husb…to Ian”- she stopped, fearing she may break down again. “Mary, I will do all I can in my power to bring justice to your family” �" He meant it, but it came out as a weak sincerity. Gaining strength from this she sat back staring him in the eyes -“Good, because if you don’t Herman my sons will”- she replied quite aggressively. Taken back he paused for a moment he looked down while he tapped the chair deep in thought, he began to talk softly almost in a whisper - “You put me in a difficult situation here Mary, I know we have history and I know this is a difficult time for you, but I have to warn you” -He raised his voice, his years of service came flooding back �" “If your sons do wrong, they will be punished. Let me…let the law deal with it. Don’t let your boys fall just because of this injustice Mary”- His confidence slowly seeping away as he began to plead with her, she didn't say a word which only giving way to her becoming ever more volatile and defiant as she stared at him. He shifted his eyes from her to the desk, walking over to the window again he watched the traffic pass by slowly; outside the police station it was fairly quiet.


She sat watching him perfectly still not saying a word; she had a calm demeanour but inside the widow raged she decided it was best to leave before things got out of hand.  Raising from her chair the noise alerted the officer, at this Herman turned around - “where are you going?” - He inquired impulsively. Not looking at him she walked to the door stopping before she opened it - “You've said enough Officer, thank you for your time” - Replied an introverted Mary as she opened the door. He felt the need to say something but hesitated a moment too long as she slammed the door behind her.

 



© 2013 Jake Dyson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
Added on September 8, 2013
Last Updated on September 8, 2013


Author

Jake Dyson
Jake Dyson

North, England, United Kingdom



About
It's been many years since I made this account. I haven't written much for a long time but I find myself coming back every now and then. Thanks for stopping by. more..

Writing
Regrettable Regrettable

A Story by Jake Dyson


Seeing Seeing

A Poem by Jake Dyson