THE QUEEN BEE Chapter 5 - Personal encounters

THE QUEEN BEE Chapter 5 - Personal encounters

A Chapter by Jake Dyson
"

Chapter 5 of THE QUEEN BEE. Hope you enjoy and feel free to review all comments welcome and will be responded to in due time.

"

 Chapter 5- Personal encounters


5 days previous-


The shower was lovely and warm; Kevin didn't want to get out, knowing it’d be cold and miserable on the other side of the curtain, but he had to, there were pressing matters at hand. He turned the shower off, pulling the curtain back and reaching for his towel he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror, it reminded him of his father Ian. He climbed out of the tub staring at his face in the mirror the steam rising off his wet hair; he put his fingers to his cheek feeling the soft skin and the stubble that was making a comeback. It wasn't shave day yet but he wanted to remove it, although he’d just got out the shower he felt extremely dirty, like a virus had taken over him.


His heart began to race and his body began to sweat as he leaned in closer to the mirror, his eyes looking down to his razor as he picked it up. Placing it to his cheek he rubbed the sharp Gillette blade hard across his cheek, blood began trickle down between the blade and his fingertips as he pushed in harder. His face snarled up as a line of blood was created; staring at himself he dropped the razor into the sink. He inspected the blood on his hands then looking up at himself in the mirror he wiped it across his reflection in the mirror, covering his wound with the blood. It only made him feel worse the stupid act he had just performed on himself; with a quick hard flash he punched the mirror cracking it in the middle. His middle knuckle had bust open slightly; the skin began to ooze blood, staring at like a curious child it only increased his anger. Releasing his fists on the glass it smashed, pieces fell down on to the sink and the floor landing by his sides, he stopped and looked at the mess he had created, panting as his knuckles fell to his sides blood dripping to the wet tiles creating little pools.


Kirk and Robbie were sat in the living room talking about the new soccer season that was about to start, Jon stood across from them at the kitchen work top writing out a list of suspects the group were to follow up on later that day. He had just finished his cup of coffee while they all waited for Kevin to finish his shower when he heard a loud crash coming from upstairs, all three men looked at each other before running upstairs. Jon was the first to get to the top as he rushed into Kevin’s room, then to the en suite bathroom door; he called out to Kevin "“bro? Everything ok in there?” " There was no response but a lot of scuffling about, and the sound of broken glass being scraped across the floor. He looked back at Kirk and Robbie who stood at the entrance of the bedroom door, Robbie was looking curiously around the décor of Kevin’s room; the posters of naked woman and the antique rocking chair that sat in the corner. Kirk walked over to the door " “let me try ey, take your brother down stairs, I’ll talk to him” said Kirk in a friendly polite tone. It was hard for Jon to argue as he couldn't think of anything to change the decision as Kirk gently ushered him away with his hand on Jon’s shoulder "“ok mate” " was all Jon could muster as he walked away taking Robbie down stairs with him.  Once he heard the footsteps on the stairs disappear he turned to the bathroom door " “hey you nutter, what you doing in there?” - joked Kirk who was actually quite worried at the noises coming from the other side of the door "“Kevin”- he said in a stern voice "“I'm gonna kick this door down in a minute if you don’t open up!” " “It’s open” " came a weak weary voice.

 

 Downstairs Jon was fuming at being made to feel belittled by Kirk "“he’s my brother!, who the f**k does he think he is”- said Jon as he paced up and down with his fists clenched, Robbie sat on the edge of the sofa arm feeling sheepish with his hands together in a ball between his legs. He didn't want to get into a conflict when his brother was like this so he decided to keep his mouth shut and keep looking at the floor. Jon began to walk to the stairs when he decided against it, he was worried about Kevin and he knew it wouldn't help him arguing like this. He sat down across from Robbie pulling out a cigarette he proceeded to light it, Robbie looked up at him " “I thought you’d quit?” asked Robbie unsure of his brothers response " “maybe. Whatever, just shut up! “- snapped Jon.  Robbie looked down sinking with confidence as he played with his fingers.


As Kirk opened the door slowly he peered around the corner, looking down he saw little pools and drips of blood covering the floor. Kevin was lying down against the bath tub staring into the opposite corner of the ceiling as if he was in a trance "“Kev? You ok buddy?” " Kirk opened the door wider slowly walking in to see the full scale of the shattered mirror and a pile of glass that Kevin had tried to pick up "“Jesus, what the f**k man?” " Cried out Kirk, he rushed down to Kevin’s side inspecting his blood stained knuckles " “dude, you really did a number on yourself” said Kirk. Kevin didn't respond he just laid there limp staring into space while a tear’s ran gently down his cheek. Kirk stood up and began to look around " “where the f**k are they?”- He whispered to himself as he scoured the bathroom for any bandages. After looking everywhere he pulled a towel off the shelves stretching it with both hands it began to rip, he tore off thin lengths for which he knelt down wrapping them tightly around Kevin’s hands. The first hand wasn't so bad but as Kirk placed the ripped towel on the right hand of Kevin, he sprang to life pushing Kirk over he stood up clutching his knuckles " “f**k! What you do that for!?” - Shouted Kevin "“I'm tryna sort you out! You f*****g dick!” responded an angry unappreciated Kirk " “No! My towels you ripped one of my new towels you idiot!” " “F**k you, I was only trying to help and I couldn't find any bandages” " explained Kirk as he got to his feet " “there in the kitchen below the sink” murmured Kevin as he sat on the edge of the bath tub clutching his bloodied knuckle. “Ok, one second” said Kirk as he ran down the stairs.


Jon was making a cup of tea for him and Robbie as an apologetic gesture as he was feeling guilty for his earlier outburst when Kirk thudded down the stairs. Robbie came to the edge of the room curious to the banging as Kirk stood in the middle of the kitchen scouting around panting "“cupboard under the sink?” " He asked " “just there” said Jon pointing behind him, Kirk dropped to his knee’s manically searching the cupboard "“what you looking for?” " Asked a reserved Robbie "“Bandages!”- shouted Kirk as he grabbed the bandages and alcohol wipes running back upstairs. Robbie and Jon looked at each other then looked away, Robbie sulked off back to the sofa; Jon was overwhelmed by the feeling of guilt. He walked over with the cup of tea handing it to Robbie "“look Robs I'm sorry I yelled at you before, I was just pissed off” " spoke Jon sincerely " “yeah well. You didn't have to be a dick about it, I was only asking”- responded Robbie nervously "“look it’s hit me hard all this with dad and I'm sure you’re feeling it too, but we have to stick together. I won’t be a dick again I promise”- replied Jon as he sat down across from Robbie "“ok” " said Robbie dragging the word out "“friends?” asked Jon " “friends”- responded Robbie as they both extended and shook hands.


Kirk rushed into the bathroom slipping and almost dropping the bandages and alcohol wipes on the blood stained floor "“whoa s**t! -  let out Kirk as he and Kevin chuckled "“your face”- laughed Kevin "“shut up and let me get on with it”- Kirk proceeded to rub the alcohol on Kevin’s knuckles as he clenched his teeth letting out a little squirming noise "“let it out brother”- said Kirk as he finished wrapping the first bandage. He had just started on taking the ripped up towel off Kevin when he had to ask "“why you do it?”- Kevin looked down, then away from Kirk sighing he replied "“I lost it for a moment. I got angry; like I wanted to hurt someone but there was only me. My dad’s dead man, gone forever”- Kevin began to break down as Kirk stopped what he was doing, feeling awkward but remembering his friendship he fought through it "“Kevin if you ever need to talk, I'm always here for you man. Bro’s for life and remember we’re gonna get this son of a b***h, put him in the ground don’t let it defeat you. Use this anger and pain to f**k s**t up!”- “thanks man” was all Kevin could say as he wiped his tears on the first bandage, letting out a chuckle "“nice speech”- he murmured as Kirk finished up the bandages.


Robbie and Jon were outside waiting in the back of the truck for Kevin.  Kirk had said he wouldn't be long as they were becoming bored "“Jon?”-“Yeah?” "“can I have a cig?”- “what!?”- “I wanna try it?”- “ look If I give you a cig I will get in so much s**t off Mum and Kev it wouldn't be worth it” " “aw come on Jon give me a cig. You owe me”- “Ok, here! But have it quick” " demanded Jon as he passed Robbie a cig. Robbie coughed as he inhaled the first few drags "“it ain't nice is it? - chuckled Jon watching his younger brother struggle with his camel. Kirk appeared out the front door, noticing Robbie and Jon he jogged over to the truck "“what the f**k!?”- he asked assertively "“check it out Robbie’s puffing”- laughed Jon "“ you better put that away before Kev comes” " “ he can’t stop me” coughed Robbie as he inhaled " “well just hurry up and when Kevin comes don’t ask about his hands” " informed Kirk "“what about his hands?”  Asked Jon who had become concerned by Kirks remark "“just go easy ok, he’s acting strange” replied Kirk as he got in the truck. Robbie flicked the cig just as Kevin came out the door, he was strapping on his gun belt as he approached the truck "“ don’t think I didn't see you dick head” " pointing to Robbie as they both noticed his hand "“sorry Kev” replied Robbie as his confidence sunk within him.

Kevin got in the truck and started the engine, turning to Kirk he asked "“so where we going?” " “try south east of the mill, I think I know a dealer who might know something”…

 



© 2013 Jake Dyson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013


Author

Jake Dyson
Jake Dyson

North, England, United Kingdom



About
It's been many years since I made this account. I haven't written much for a long time but I find myself coming back every now and then. Thanks for stopping by. more..

Writing
Regrettable Regrettable

A Story by Jake Dyson


Seeing Seeing

A Poem by Jake Dyson