THE QUEEN BEE Chapter 7 - Troublesome times

THE QUEEN BEE Chapter 7 - Troublesome times

A Chapter by Jake Dyson
"

Please read the previous chapters if you haven't done so already as the story is none linear. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy. I have written a few more chapters so look out for them :)

"

Chapter 7 -Troublesome times 


5 days previous-

Owen awoke to his head pounding as it yearned for water; sitting up on the sofa he looked around seeing all the sleeping bodies as he stood up. Swaying slowly, he headed towards the sink while trying not to stand on anybody. He searched for a cup as the flashes of the previous night began to encircle his mind, remembering what Kevin had said he thought deeply as he downed the water while peering out onto the neighbour’s lawn. He squinted at his watch, it was only five past seven ‘just enough time to sneak out unnoticed’ he thought, when he was disturbed by footsteps on the stairs. It was his younger cousin Robbie who looked pale and hung over, he glanced at Owen smiling weakly "“Morning” - said Owen as he lent against the kitchen surface "“Morning” "croaked Robbie as he poured himself some water "“rough night eh, how you feeling?” " “I feel like s**t”- responded a feeble Robbie taking a large gulp of water "“So I'm head back soon, tell Kevin I’ll be back soon with my stuff ok” " Robbie nodded as he poured himself some more water -“Here take one of these” " said Owen as he passed him a painkiller "“thanks” replied Robbie as he went back upstairs leaving Owen with his troublesome thoughts.


The previous day -

The funeral had gone as well as it could have done, people spoke, people relived memories, people cried and a well-respected man was buried.  It was at the reception at Mary’s where things became heated, it was hot and sticky within the crowded house. Family and friends had come from far and wide to come and pay their respects, telling stories from his childhood right through to adulthood.

Kevin had taken a moment out in the back garden to gather his thoughts; he was sipping his JD and coke when his mother Mary walked slowly behind him, Placing her hand on his shoulder  she spoke in her warm gentle voice" “how you doing son?” "she asked sitting in the garden chair next to him. Kevin took a second to respond, placing his glass down on the table he looked at his mother " “Do you think he was proud of me?” " asked Kevin avoiding the question. Mary was taken aback by the question but responded without thinking "“Yes, of course Kevin. I know he would have been. I know I am” " She put her hand on his knee and gave it a little squeeze as she forced a smile upon her face. 


They sat there for a moment in silence staring a head both deep in thought until Mary spoke softly "“Kevin, I always wanted the best for you, you were our first born. Me and your father” " she stopped for a moment taking a deep breath "“ Mum its ok”- said Kevin trying to comfort his mother as she shook her head "“ No. I have to say this. We both love you and we are proud of you. You were such a small baby when you were born, so fragile with your little fingers and toes. I was so scared to even pick you up for fearing of hurting you. But here you are, big and strong with the world at your feet. You look so much like your father”- Kevin was starting to blush as he became sheepish. He grabbed his drink in comfort downing the lot as he listened to his mother pour her heart out. "“Anyway, I best get back”- She stood up dabbing a tear from her eye, but turned to him as her face became red as she was overwhelmed with fury "“Kevin, You are the man of this family now. You need to protect this family and as your mother. I give you permission to do what you need to do, to make peace with yourself”- She kissed his forehead as he stared up her, his mouth gaping wide open in shock for he was confused had never seen her like this before but also by what she had just said to him.

 She strolled up the garden path back towards the house as he clenched his empty glass as he relived the words she had said ‘Make peace with yourself’ ‘you need to protect this family’ ‘protect this family’ it ran repeatedly through his head as a hand slapped down on his shoulder making Kevin jump "“Hey! Sorry buddy didn't mean to make you jump”- spoke Owen, Kevin’s cousin who was 6 months his senior, he had driven in for the funeral and had not seen the family for quite some time "“you made me jump” " laughed Kevin "“sorry about that. Mind if I take a seat?” " Asked Owen politely "“yeah sure, go right ahead” replied Kevin.  Noticing Kevin’s hands wrapped round the empty glass Owen pulled out his flask filled with whiskey "“want a top up?”-  Kevin looked down at his glass then up at Owen "“yeah sure”- replied Kevin giving off a weak smile-“you ok, how you feeling?” " asked a concerned Owen as he poured the whiskey into Kevin’s glass.


-“I'm ok”- nodded Kevin taking a sip from on his glass, Owen stared at him trying to work him out, the awkward silence made Owen uncomfortable but he carried on talking "“so I lost my job the other day, you know how the economy is” " Owen was struggling to make small "“but you know me, I'm like a cat, I always land on my feet”- he gave off a fake laugh as Kevin piped up "“how long you in town for?”- “For a couple of days, Actually, I was thinking I might settle back here. I have nothing going for me back home so”- “Well you can crash at mine till you get yourself sorted” gestured Kevin "“Oh, that’s really nice of you. Thanks Kev” replied Owen. The uneasy conversation was interrupted by the drunken gang as they sang loudly, swaying towards the two of them while splashing beer  on themselves "“jeeez your brothers are so drunk”- remarked Owen to Kevin- “I know right”- “Hey! ‘Come here you guys” " slurred Robbie as he hung onto Terry Newman, he one of the ‘gang’ of Kevin’s, there was also Kirk Williams, Mac Smith, Terry’s twin brother Lorris Newman and Kenny Stevens who was in deep conversation with a very drunk Jon


-“Guys!” - shouted Kevin as they all stopped what they were doing giving him their full if not drunken attention "“I want you to enjoy your selves tonight, I want you to remember how awesome my dad was and because I've been thinking. With the amount of crew we have with us, we could do something” he was about to tell them when Robbie interrupted "“What!? What you been thinking Kev?” " Kevin looked at him with displeasure as they all shushed him in their own ways "“What?” " Asked Robbie looking around confused " “One sec buddy”- called out Kirk assertively leaving a thoughtless Robbie to sway slightly against Terry - “As I was saying, I've been thinking things through.  We’re gonna clean this town up! We’re gonna find my dad’s killers! And we’re gonna f*****g murder this mother f****r!” " Everyone nodded in agreement"“Are you with me!?- They all cheered raising their glasses- “now let’s get f*****g wasted!” " roared Kevin as he grabbed Robbie’s beer, downing it while pouring most of it on himself. They all roared with laughter swaying back inside the house as Owen watched in shock, unsure of what to make of the situation he pulled out his flask of whiskey taking a hard gulp as he walked slowly towards the house. 



© 2013 Jake Dyson


Author's Note

Jake Dyson
I apologize for any grammer mistakes etc, I'm just a guy trying to write a story. Any suggestions you have please do tell as all help is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on September 25, 2013
Last Updated on September 25, 2013


Author

Jake Dyson
Jake Dyson

North, England, United Kingdom



About
It's been many years since I made this account. I haven't written much for a long time but I find myself coming back every now and then. Thanks for stopping by. more..

Writing
Regrettable Regrettable

A Story by Jake Dyson


Seeing Seeing

A Poem by Jake Dyson