This Is My Death.

This Is My Death.

A Story by James Huston

It’s funny how safe you can feel at any moment of your life, then the very next your in an entire different world. The shelter and the warmth around you turns into cold and wilderness in a blink of an eye. Without warning, your thrown into a situation you can not control. Your mind goes to a place its never  been, your body is no longer existent in these moments.


Traveling down that road in the middle of the night.  An overcast of dark clouds covering the shimmer of the moon. I felt warm and even protected in my small aluminum cased vehicle. The heater felt like a small fire coming from the engine bay, blowing directly on my hands and chest. The night was silent; all I could hear was the humming from my exhaust. My blue headlights lit up the road and the signs I passed. The beautiful blue only made the snow seem more magical and more mesmerizing. With an empty and open road I would catch myself getting lost in the maze of snowflakes.


A few miles out on the highway, away from any people or civilization, the road itself turned into a long strip of black ice. I could feel the wheel at my hand, slowly jerking and drifting in different directions. I knew pressing the brake would just make things worse. It felt as if someone just picked my car up and turned it around right there in the middle of the road. Being completely sideways at these high speeds, I knew there was nothing I could do. Gliding, and gliding closer and closer to what I knew was my death, I took a moment and just stopped.


I thought a lot about people in those short moments. Mostly her, the girl I have been in love with. I thought about how I would never talk to her again. I tried remembering the last thing she said to me, but I couldn’t. I pictured her face, how beautiful and warm it was. I kept telling myself how much I was going to miss that face. I even turned to my passenger side, hoping she would be there holding my hand. Instead I was alone, about to die and was empty of any feeling.


It seemed as though I went through a life time with her in my head, right before my car smashed through the Thick metaled guard rail. I could hear the car’s shell crushing from the impact. The impact itself, sounded like a cannon going off right in front of my face and hitting me in the chest. Instantly I felt my face become swollen with blood, my ribs poking my lungs and spine and my arms felt crushed down to powder. I could smell the exhaust that was leaking from the engine bay. I could hear the wheels and pistons whining from their free movement in the air. Then I hit the ground, nose first.


I thought again. With the car nose first, pivoted in the air, resembling a crushed soda can. I thought about life, where I could have gone. The people I could have been with. All the places I could go. It felt like I was thinking for hours, flashing back to old memories with cousins, playing in the river. Thanksgiving dinner with family.  Having dinner every night with mom While laughing at stupid movies. Going out with friends and making up our own adventures. Curling up in bed next to her just to feel warm and safe.

 

Cold crept over me, taking my thoughts away. My face started to feel like a balloon that was about to pop. My body was becoming numb from the impact, I could feel blood draining out of my veins. The night became so dark that I closed my eyes and tried to in vision light. With that last breath I realized this death was noting but cold, dark and uncomfortable. With that sad glimmer hanging in my head, I stopped breathing, I stopped thinking. Then I died. 

© 2013 James Huston


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi James I enjoyed the concept of this even though I have twice been in a car out of control. It has a flow to it and you have given the character life from his thoughts. It needs a bit of crafting though, for example:
'your thrown' should be 'you're thrown', 'in vision' should be 'envision' and 'death was noting' should be 'death was nothing'

Posted 10 Years Ago


A very vivid image of life fleeting. I wondered many a times what the last moments in a wreck would be like and i guess would probably be something like this. Well written.

Posted 10 Years Ago


James Huston

10 Years Ago

yeah thats what i was kinda wondering as well. I guess thats what made me want to write this :P
I totally hate driving in such conditions precisely for this reason ! Black ice terrifies me. Thanks for feeding my neuroses lol. You write so vivdly. Your final stanza was a tragedy but rivetting reading. Excellent !! Justine

Posted 10 Years Ago


James Huston

10 Years Ago

me too, it happens alot here too :/ but thanks for the great review i appreciate it :)
>.> well isn't this sad lol but on a happy note I liked how you explained everything, I could picture it all in my head. I can tell you would be a good writer of stories lol

Good Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


~*~Peace Keeper~*~

10 Years Ago

lol well you succeeded

Really? well keep up the good work. Try doing a happier one xD .. read more
James Huston

10 Years Ago

haha i will do a happy if i do another one sometime lol ;p
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

10 Years Ago

D: well I will be looking forward to it lol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

504 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 11, 2013
Last Updated on December 11, 2013

Author

James Huston
James Huston

prescott valley, AZ



About
I dont edit any of my work. Once it is written down i leave it. I dont know go back and change anything. I am terrible at spelling and punctuation. I think it makes my writing unique and different... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aging Aging

A Poem by Mark