A Barefoot Upbringing

A Barefoot Upbringing

A Poem by James

Running barefoot through the pasture 
I feel the fescue between my toes --
Ten years old, maybe a little more,
no worries, no cares, just a few chores.
It's summer in the mountains.
We catch crappie and small mouth
with grubs from a rotten log.
The Cumberland River is wild,
an endless treasure of fun and adventure.
Trout rule the streams that feed the rapids,
impossible for you, but we know their secrets.
When dusk falls we head back home.
I can hear my mother calling.

© 2016 James


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This spoke of barefoot summers to me on the Chesapeake bay, so long ago. Staying out until we heard our mother's calling us, never wanting to give up the night.

Your story-telling of the rapids and the adventures of the Cumberland river makes me feel nostalgic for the east coast. Hopefully, someday, I can be heading home, too!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James

7 Years Ago

It was a great way to grow up. I'm glad you enjoyed it.



Reviews

I enjoyed the journey and the place described. My father retired to Joneville, Virginia. I loved Cumberland Gap. A beautiful place to live. Thank you James for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


This spoke of barefoot summers to me on the Chesapeake bay, so long ago. Staying out until we heard our mother's calling us, never wanting to give up the night.

Your story-telling of the rapids and the adventures of the Cumberland river makes me feel nostalgic for the east coast. Hopefully, someday, I can be heading home, too!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James

7 Years Ago

It was a great way to grow up. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Nice poem with wonderful happy meaning. Thinking back on what it was like being a kid huh?
The days when most days where good days, and you didn't have many cares, not much to stress over.

I liked this piece quite a lot, it had depth and meaning and it was a nice write.
Keep writing :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James

7 Years Ago

Yep, not many worries then. Thanks.
cimmy wuv xxxooo

7 Years Ago

Your welcome :)
I remember walking barefoot on blacktop down to the beach when it was 110* and I never even flinched, my bare feet were so tough & calloused! Not anymore! I'm a tenderfoot now! Despite these intense barefoot memories in my own psyche, your simple summertime word painting is full of southern memories that I'm so glad you shared with us. I often mourn for today's kids becuz it's not safe enuf in most places for them to run wild & free the way we did. I wouldn't trade my growing up experiences for electronic games if you paid me a million! You've described exactly why I feel this way. Great reminiscing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is a nice poem; it's fun to read too. You've definitely captured how it feels to have a "Barefoot Upbringing" where you just play outside without a single care, letting yourself get into whatever mess just to head back home and do the same thing the next day. I'm not familiar with this lifestyle (I like to stay inside), but you've sure described in a way that everyone can understand.

I enjoyed the conversational, straightforward tone you used in this piece. It helped to add relatability, almost as if a close relative were talking to me. Also, the visual presentation is nice as well ... you've used my favorite font. Nice work.

- William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

James

7 Years Ago

This was a shot straight out of my childhood, running in the hills of Kentucky.
Thanks for .. read more
I grew up in the inner city but my dad took us on a lot of camping and fishing trips.
I can remember days like this. Very happy memories for me, among the best of my life and these are the memories I am creating for my own children now.
I really enjoyed this poem and feeling the grass under my feet as I read it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Love this descriptive write. The imagery is so very beautiful.
How I remember times just as this, myself.
The only true care...was to run through those pastures, until you couldn't run any longer.
Reading your writing this morning, is making my heart so very homesick.
If only...to go back...once more.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 23, 2016
Last Updated on August 28, 2016
Tags: Appalachian, childhood, youth, memories

Author

James
James

The Beach, NC



About
Thanks Guys more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic