The Light of Darkness

The Light of Darkness

A Story by J.W.Parker
"

A powerful light which has the capability to destroy everything if it is in the wrong hands. Two like minded people, Vic and Alson, are tasked to find this light and destroy it.

"

“Remind me again why we are?” asked Vic with her slow but demanding voice. Vic, aged 28, was a female who had long black hair at shoulders length. She had a thin athletic body that wasn’t too strong and wasn’t too weak. By her side was Alson, aged 25, who was a six foot tall man with a muscular body built to take great amounts of force. Vic had been part of the Guild her whole life while Alson had only joined three years ago. His family were traders but he dreamed of being something better so he joined the guild. Vic was brought up into it by her parents who were much respected Guild members. The Guild was a foundation made by ‘The Order’ to protect the innocent from the darker side of their race. The Corians. The Corians had powers or gifts, as they liked to call it, which were specially bound to them at birth. Each individual was unique. Each unconnected. “We are here for the light” said Alson his voice sharp and deep. “Its power is too dangerous. It must be destroyed” he said. “So you think they sent us down here to do just that. Destroy it?” asked Vic. Alson continued to walk through the forest. Ignoring her. “Like talking to a rock” said Vic whispering under her breath.

After hours of endless walking they came to a stop when they stumbled upon a wooden post with strange writing on it and a skeleton tied to a pole which looked like it had been there for some time. The writing was a warning not to enter and the skeleton was a symbol of how serious they the people inside the cam were. Deciding that the camp looked empty Vic and Alson entered the camp but kept their guard up knowing something was not right. No sign of life. No sign of anything. The camp was deserted with only tents, seats and a fire that danced with the wind. As they continued to explore the camp a foul smell filled the air and caused Vic to nearly regurgitate. Both them followed the foul smell until the cause was found. A pile of dead bodies piled upon each other were slowly rotting under the heat of the sun. As Alson and Vic looked at the bodies in shock and disbelief a group of people surrounded them silently from behind. “What do you think you are doing here filth?” sneered the man in front wearing a black coat with red patterns in the sleeves. The mans name was Snout-Trout.  “We are here to destroy the light” said Vic. “The Light of Darkness?” asked the man. “Yes” she said. “Oh. You see we’re here for the light as well. But not to destroy it, to harness it” said the man, walking forwards. “Are you mad? No can harness its power” said Alson. The group surrounding them were enemies to the Guild. The man stood still staring at Alson. “Did you just call me mad?” he asked. Vic and Alson were bracing themselves for a fight. “Do not call me mad!” screamed the man, opening his hands and throwing a fireball at them which narrowly missed Alson’s head. Alson could use dark matter to his advantage and Vic could manipulate the energy around her. Another fireball hurtled towards Alson, he rolled and extended his arm out and emitted a long dark energy which looked like a black gas and liquid and it narrowly missed the mans head but hit one of his men. The man who got hit screamed in pain as his body slowly betrayed him. His veins went black and could be seen on the surface of his skin before he disintegrated into the air. Vic was throwing orbs of blue energy that hit three people in the chest and sent them flying back. One of the men emitted lightening from the palm of his hand and struck Vic in her right shoulder before she could dodge. Snout-Trout ran towards Vic to finish her off but he got an unexpected gift from Alson who sliced the ground in front of him with his dark matter causing the ground to crack. The man stumbled inside before it closed back up. Knowing they hadn't the time to fight she decided to end the conflict quickly. Alson helped her to her feet whilst avoiding the lightening and fire being thrown at them. Once to her feet she raised her hands and a green orb appeared in between them which grew brighter before it flashed with a pulsating bang and blinded everyone. When their vision returned it was only them who remained but with a pile of ash where the remaining enemies used to be.

After looking around the perimeter of the camp they stumbled upon a small little cave mouth, sticking out of the ground, buried in leaves and bushes. Knowing they had found what they were looking for both of them ventured into the dark, damp, and wet cave. The darkness was consuming inside the cave so Vic slowly lifted up his right hand and opened it. A small orb light emitted out of his palm, illuminating the cave. Inside was a maze of tunnels carved by nature that spread into different directions, some, only leading to a dark abyss. “Which way do we go?” whispered Vic. “I’m not sure” answered Alson who was also whispering. After looking back and forth they finally came to an agreement that they were lost. “Okay I’m just gonna come out and say it. We’re lost” whispered Vic. Alson nodded in agreement before turning to one of the tunnels. “It’s this one” he whispered. “How do you know?” she asked. “Trust me. I was always told to trust my gut not my brain” he said. Vic took the lead because she had the orb of light. At the end of the tunnel were steps which led down to a cavern of rocks and at the back was a stone stand at the with a spiralling light that danced in the air hovering above it. The Light of Darkness. Alson approached it nervously with his hands stretched out. He braced himself and twitched his whole body before releasing a large amount of dark matter that was flowing into the light, weakening it.

A couple minutes later a man entered into the cavern and stopped at the entrance so they could not escape. He was covered in mud and grass and his clothes and hair were all dirty. It was Snout-Trout. He screamed throwing another fireball but at Vic this time which narrowly missed her head but burned Alson’s leg which stopped him from destroying the light. His leg was burnt but he regained strength, stood up, and continued while Vic protected him with a blue shield of energy. The light was pulsing but also dimming while the room began to get hotter and hotter causing the rocks around them to heat up. Alson’s skin started to turn black under the lights power. His own power, or gift, was turning against him. Everything was getting extremely hot. One of the rocks surface began to burn and steam. It was because they were close to the light they did not burn. Snout-Trout unleashed giant fireball that smashed against Vic's shield and he continued to release a long flame of fire that smashed and mauled her shield. Her shield was beginning to turn green. Vic, under the pressure of the heat and the pressure of the flame smashing into her protective shield and the pressure of Alson slowly dying by his own gift, screamed as she made her shield brighter and brighter so it became stronger and stronger. She collapsed to the floor but the shield stayed up. Alson, knowing he had no other choice, put all of his effort into making the stream of dark matter stronger. The shield began to weaken and slowly shattered and the flames hit Alson. He continued to destroy The Light of Darkness whilst being consumed by flames. The light instantly went of and the only light was the fire and the only sounds were Alson's screams. Vic regained consciousness and saw Alson in trouble. She formed an orb of energy which surround her and Alson and it stooped the fire from getting to him. The light shined again but all of the cavern was masked in a numb ringing sound. The light suddenly exploded with such force Alson and Vic lost consciousness.

All was quiet and still. The cave was back to its cold temperatures and damp surface. Vic and Alson awoke. Vic's shoulder hurt and Alson's leg hurt. Miraculously he had no burns on his body. "Are you okay" asked Alson. "Yes I'm fine" replied Vic. She looked at him and turned her head in confusion. "You look normal" she said. "how come you are not burned?" she asked. Alson slowly lifted himself up of the ground and help her up. "My sister was killed by fire when I was two years old. My other and Father couldn't bare the same pain twice so they bought a special liquid which was fire resistant. I put it on my skin and clothes every day so if I ever stumble upon fire. it does not harm me" he said while carrying Vic outside. "I'm terribly sorry for your loss" she said as they made their way back tot eh entrance of the camp. A few minutes later Vic asked "Have you got any spare that I can use?". "What?" asked Alson not knowing what she meant. "The fire liquid. Because I hate how we get treated by the Guild" she said. "Its in our job oath to do and deal with what we must in order for our success" he said. " And no I don't". "I know but I would like to be treated to some large meals or even a nice bath while I have my feet rubbed" she said. Alson laughed. "What are you laughing at?" asked Vic. "For someone who has been apart of the Guild her whole life. You seem to complain about it a lot" said Alson. "Well yes. A woman has got to have some luxury in her life" she said. As they journeyed back home. 

© 2015 J.W.Parker


Author's Note

J.W.Parker
Please excuse grammar problems it is just a quick written story to share

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
Added on October 10, 2015
Last Updated on October 17, 2015

Author

J.W.Parker
J.W.Parker

United Kingdom



About
Hello! I'm Jamie Parker, aged 17, and I am new to writing. I have been interested in sharing stories since a child and have always been excited about new stories which I can share with family, friends.. more..

Writing
Deep Fear Deep Fear

A Story by J.W.Parker