Awake

Awake

A Poem by JayG
"

Because a very special lady isn't with me...but should be.

"

Awake



I woke, enveloped within the comfort only your warmth can bring
My head was nestled into the curve of your shoulder, my hand on velvet skin, stroking.

But you weren’t there.

Memory brought the scent of woman: gentle, and softly sated with pleasure
So warm with sleep, so twined with hints of passions past:
An ambiance of morning…a residue of night…a reason for joy and tears

But you weren’t there.

I woke with you gathered tightly around my being, comforting and exciting, both at once.
I woke to memories and to desire, and to comfort, as my lips--of themselves--"sought yours.

And then, you were there. But only for a moment:
In warmth
In passion
In comfort
In life
In all that matters.

But then, sadly, reality brought a sigh, and a turning inward

And on waking, I wept.

Because you weren’t there.


© 2018 JayG


Author's Note

JayG
I fixed the M-dash problem and the swapped last two lines on 10/3/18.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I kept mine in a dreamcatcher; it has been stolen.

Posted 5 Years Ago


That is simply lovely, and very evocative, too. I often experience the exact same dream...mine is about a man, however. A precious moment, perfectly described.
Couldn't find any problems at all.


Posted 5 Years Ago


oh my...your poem has wrenched tears from me gut sir ..i can so relate to this ..having lost our love ..waking with wisps of that dream intact and memories so real .. an incredible blessing .. only to be stolen once again by the reality of the day ... couldn't even think to change a thing on this one ..whew! thanks for sharing!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


As commonplace as it may seem to some, and as simple as it may seem to even more of the same, I don't mind being the one to say it; the repetition of "you weren't there" speaks volumes (pardon the cliche). In my mind it contrasts well with the rest of the poem, the passion and warmth, written and felt, only to be lead to the cutting from a pleasant dream into not even a nightmare, but reality. I see it as a quick and violent flashback, only a moment in the grand scheme of the motion picture, yet still burning in my mind. Obviously, people will feel differently as you probably will too, but I hope you take no offense; I only thought to share what I felt. Wonderful work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


A sensational poem dreamy and wishing appealing style , expressed in awesome artsy poetic way wow. I like this great poem. Dreaming can seem so real eh. Kudos.



Pleez do write your thoughts/comment/review under my newest poem too pls. I like interactions as a way to exchange thought and greetings.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This expresses such a frustrating feeling. Dreams feel so real until they aren't. I like the phrase "warm with sleep."

Posted 5 Years Ago


It hurts when someone you love passes away, or just moved on. But the memories of the past keeps making it's way back. I to can understand your poem. You have a passion with so much emotions in your writing. Thank you so much for sharing.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Leaves you wanting to believe she is actually there as much as the main character.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I loved it , i loved the settings , and how much passion you gave those words , it was smooth

Posted 5 Years Ago


concise and moving write with a deep sense of love lost. I like the juxtaposition between memory/desire and reality sprinkled throughout to keep interest.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3313 Views
58 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 27, 2017
Last Updated on October 4, 2018

Author

JayG
JayG

Elkins Park, PA



About
I've been actively writing fiction for about 40 years and have been offered, and signed, 7 publishing contracts. I have a total of 30 novels available at booksellers at the moment. I've taught wri.. more..

Writing
The Nose Knows The Nose Knows

A Poem by JayG


Life Life

A Poem by JayG



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens