Game of lure and haggle

Game of lure and haggle

A Story by Jayanta Kumar Sarma
"

People around a market, how attraction and bargain go on

"

“ ...... it is not that difficult, you have to visit the places as assigned by them, talk to the people, give demonstration, assess their interest ....... collect the order! If unable to get order, make a plan to visit again and inform your manager! Things will goes on!... I am used with this for last two months! Now on the way to settle, shifting to comfort, from one room rental to two rooms, plan to take a bike in next month!” The city bus pass by, his conversation goes on, speaking loudly to suppress ambiance of the machine and men in the street of Beltola.

“ .... what ? Oh! it is not that you have to boil stone, it is a matter of boiling rice only; but how you boil, is ‘your style’, review yourself, whatever decide intimate!” Cut the call, put the set in the shirt’s pocket and Jumped on the bus going towards Paltan Bazar. Smoke out of the exhaust pipe of the bus dimness the people on the street. Someone said, ask the driver, “He will show you the pollution test certificate!”  Old lady in his side said, “Everyone feel great with this poison! Now certificates are issued devour everything with poison!”  Both of them look into each other and smiles! Smiles of sixties precipitate through the street by encountering the smiles of forties. Hope for smiles of twenty five already passes by on the city bus, spraying smoulder around to dazzling themselves out of smoke.

Beltoa market, Garo kuchi by lane. “... It’s my own homestead product! We never used any fertilizer. It ‘s grows on nature’s way.”  Lady said to her customer. The customer, examine the small pumpkin through his bi-focal spec... Puts into his bag.. and said “Take ten toka*!”. Lady with smile said, ‘OK! Enjoy it in your lunch!’ Both of them smile!  Smiles of successful bargain- stifle the smile of pleasure out of rendering services.

“Buy two, get one free! New design! Comfortable! Don’t miss the opportunity! Come and buy!” the vendor is attracting his customer to the collection of T- shirts and short- trousers. Boy in front of him asking for red colour one with the imprint of Michel Jackson in front. He is searching for another one, pointed towards black one. Vendor lift up one, he said not that, “give me the imprint with person holding rifle”. Vendor gives the item according to his choice. Boy put it on his body and looks to the print and again hangs the both comparing Jackson holding microphone and the man with rifle, smiles comes to his face, again, peeping on for the third. He asked the vendor “show me white round neck one, with some imprint of words”. Vendor lift up three, one is with ‘Money is the only driver of life’, another one is with ‘Curb CO2 and last one is with ‘You are great’. The boy selects the last one. Vendor put the Jackson, rifle holder and you are great in a poly bag, boy make payment with smile. Old man seating nearby, who use to repair spectacles on the street is thinking - who is great �" the man with micro-phone, man with rifle, boy or the vendor. Ultimately old man, smile and conclude- vendor is great, after all he did his business!    

In the corner of fruits market, the curd seller with his curd in bamboo pipe and in earthen pot over a bamboo basket, try to brief his customer, why the curd in bamboo pipe priced more than the earthen pot.  He said “card in bamboo pipe will give you another flavour of nature, which is vibrant and exotic to your city”. The customer said, “But amount of curd is same in both, why you take more prices, I will give you two toka extra not more than that!” The curd seller smile and said ‘take!’ Customer gives the price with proud, as if triumph in bargain with nature!  

Sunday weekly market of Beltola rolls on! Everyone is searching their choice, vendor trying hard to attract their customer. Vendors coming from distance with their collection to sale and to collect cash, bring back their material of need to sustain their home. Buyers are coming to gather their choice for the week. Everyone is busy, either in attracting their customer or to bargain for their deal with the seller. It is a game of attraction and bargain, market rolls on! 

 

*Toka �" Indian rupee as called in Assamese a regional language Assam, India

 

© 2015 Jayanta Kumar Sarma


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
Added on March 3, 2015
Last Updated on March 3, 2015
Tags: Market, attraction, bargain

Author

Jayanta Kumar Sarma
Jayanta Kumar Sarma

Guwahati , Assam , India



About
I am an ordinary person having interest in art, literature, nature, people and culture. Like to travel in villages and towns love to talk with people. Always tries to learn how people lead their life .. more..