8. Thrills

8. Thrills

A Chapter by Kianna
"

Brooke battles the master guardian, trying to match her impeccable speed with the wits of her blade. Will Brooke come off victorious?

"

Brooke and Master Guardian Kirin met eyes across the training field. Brooke made sure her feet felt light in her shoes. Her fingers edged close to the handle of her sword. The setting gave Brooke’s heart a nostalgic tug. The granite field lain before Rogue’s cottage appeared to her and a jolt pulsated within her body. Above her was a one way mirror in which the royal staff psychologist and other two master guardians will watch the battle. Brooke glanced from the woman’s face to her belt. There was no sheath of any kind. Brooke arched a brow wondering what she was going to use. The master guardian’s eyes were unwavering and inscrutable. “Please draw your sword and step forward into basic stance.” Her voice sounded firm as if she had once been the commander of an army. It sent off a daunting ring. She did not move and waited for Brooke to comply.

Brooke went into basic stance. She stepped forward pressing her weight onto the forward foot, balancing it on the ball with her heel slightly raised. She unsheathed her broadsword and pointed it towards the master guardian, preparing to lunge if necessary.

Master Guardian Kirin stepped back, her hands beside her ribs. She bent her knees slightly and it seemed she had her feet on even levels. As the master guardian shifted into this position, Brooke noticed she had not yet drawn anything. After hearing the woman say begin, neither one moved. Brooke watched and waited, her muscles twitching and tensing. She saw her reflection through the woman’s mirror clear eyes, still and nervous, but ready. She knew the master guardian waited for her as well. They both watched and waited for someone to make the first move because everyone knew that the first move was critical. It said a lot for the battle. Brooke remembered her first battle with Rogue, rushing straight out to him and gaining the first scar lain across her chest. She had grown a lot from her first battle. A forward lunge was barbaric and the master guardian had the appeal of a strategic woman, someone who analyzed everything about her opponent in one swing.

The two fighters began to circle around each other, eyeing one another’s eyes, feet, and movements. Every step placed carefully on the granite beneath them as if they were lions and in the middle of the field laid the meat, the trophy, the victory, keeping their distance. Observing. Expecting anything.

Brooke needed to see what Master Guardian Kirin’s weapon was going to be. There was no proper counter if Brooke didn’t know what weapon to counter. Impatience possessed her and Brooke advanced, lunging at the woman and forcing the master guardian to draw her weapon. Master Guardian Kirin revealed a dagger from beneath the sleeve of her jacket meeting Brooke blade to blade.

Brooke skirted backwards, leaning on her rooted leg. She held her blade across her chest in preparation for defense, but Master Guardian Kirin did not move. A dagger against a sword? Brooke glanced from the dagger positioned in a backhanded style to the woman’s solemn face. Why a dagger? That was like bringing a knife to a gunfight. With such a short weapon, though, Brooke was sure her opponent was swift and in addition to being an elf, that meant she was twice as fast. Faster than Rogue because he was only half-elf.

Master Guardian Kirin rolled her neck against her loose shoulders. She then stared at Brooke, extending her arm and goading her to make another move. Brooke smirked and gladly obliged her, charging to Master Guardian Kirin. She dragged her blade against the granite ground field creating a dance of light and sparks. Brooke released a destructive barrage of wild strikes. Master Guardian Kirin matched her every swing. Brooke attempted to jump back, but the master guardian charged at her catching Brooke off guard to the point where she nearly slipped. She leaned fully on her rooted leg. Brooke leapt forward over the master guardian’s head and swung at her head. Master Guardian Kirin even blocked that and kicked her in the stomach, sending Brooke flying across the field. Brooke pressed into the tip of her toes and clawed the ground to catch her balance.

Brooke and Master Guardian Kirin charged at each other. As they drew in striking range of each other, they spun in an opposite direction. In a serial waltz of blades, the clash of their swords made the ground tremble beneath them, strong energies colliding. The two fighters locked eyes. Master Guardian Kirin ducked low and attempted to swipe Brooke’s legs from under her, but Brooke jumped up. She smirked and spun swung her sword. Master Guardian Kirin evaded by leaning back allowing Brooke’s blade to swing before her face. Brooke staggered forward. Master Guardian Kirin grabbed Brooke and threw her to the ground.

The woman backed away showing a smirk of enjoyment. A surge of excitement fluxed through her as she rose from the ground, her body anew and pleasantly throbbing. As the thrill of battle engulfed the fighters, they continued to meet blade for blade, strike for strike. Enthralled by the dance of blades, Brooke’s feet began to tremble by each clash. The master guardian disarmed Brooke, lifting her blade against Brooke’s blade, sending it off across the field. Master Guardian Kirin’s dagger blade met Brooke’s neck. “Yield,” called the master guardian. Brooke swallowed and nodded after the master guardian slid her dagger into her sleeve. Master Guardian Kirin chuckled, her face looking more animate. She bowed to Brooke and said, “You are a worthy opponent, Miss Keeper.”

Brooke let the complement sink in and she smiled. Brooke took the master guardian’s hand and shook it firmly as if they had negotiated a wonderful deal, or as if she had won a contract. Either way, it felt good. “Right back at ya.” Brooke retrieved her sword and sheathed it

“Miss Keeper, I need you to follow me so we may discuss your admission.”

Brooke was sure she made it. A master guardian praised her after all. She was now one step closer to obtaining her dream. Brooke nodded to the elfin woman and began to follow her out of the metal security door. She wondered what the psychologist and other master guardians had to say.



© 2013 Kianna


Author's Note

Kianna
Dear Reader,

I wanna thank Matthew for this chapter because he helped me write this and it came to birth like this. I am really proud of how it turned out. I like the battle and I hope you enjoyed the battle as well. Although Brooke has done well according to the master guardian, what will her admission status turn out to be? Read and find out. It may surprise you.

I chose that picture because I thought it looked like Kirin's actual dagger and the rose symbolizes the thrill each fighter took from such a tough fight.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely JazzSoulKeke,

God bless

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

393 Views
Added on July 2, 2013
Last Updated on July 2, 2013
Tags: Kianna Taylor, Kianna, Taylor, God, love, song, fantasy, book, elves, dark, romance, princess, king, queen, kingdom, epic fantasy, urban fantasy, epic, urban, young adult, occult, magic, depression


Author

Kianna
Kianna

Houston, TX



About
Hello. Hmm, about me. I am a pre-nursing student hoping to become a psychiatric nurse and work with mental health patients all day. Eventually, I want to establish my own clinic. Besides writing fanta.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Kianna