41. Anointed Lightening

41. Anointed Lightening

A Chapter by Kianna
"

The Celestial Command was in their presence, released and flooding over the surrounding area. The power wasn't pure and soothing, but dangerous and enormous.

"

           Brooke’s mind was blank as if unsure that this happened. She stared at the creature that killed her mother, his sinister chuckle cracking through her ears. It seemed she kept slipping in and out of reality, wanting to escape, wanting this to be some kind of nightmare. Ever since her mother left, she yearned for answers only she could solve. Brooke finally had those answers, but now a new trail of questions opened as she took witness of what went before her wide eyes. Rain’s body lay against the ground, lifeless and unmoving. A bright, golden light animated the woman. An intense pressure came upon everyone like the pressure of a heavy humidity. The clouds darkened as the winds scattered in dashing streams. The ocean, though far away, seemed to erupt in stormy madness, reflecting that of the foreboding sky. Wolves cried to a moon no longer visible.

            The Celestial Command was in their presence, released, and flooding over the surrounding area as if the death of Rain had caused a gate to open. It did, and everyone could feel it. The power wasn’t pure and soothing as Meredith’s power. It was dangerous and enormous. A power that gave Brooke knots in her stomach. A golden globe lifted from Rain’s chest and hovered above her.

            White flashes of lightening struck the globe as if fueling, readying it for something. The globe gently levitated towards Brooke. She gazed at it and lost herself in the swirling golden color, an amber color, a deep light that stretched to eternal depths, depths that Brooke will probably never understand. The globe entered her, vanishing within her chest. Brooke breathed and a painful shock fluxed through her, raising her body off the ground. She screamed as she the Celestial Command pulsated within her. Brooke remembered Lyriel’s library and the weird language she heard in longing whispers. It came to her now as if it had haunted her all this time. Where did this power come from? Why did it exist? These questions she realized she’d have to discover on her own now that she was keeper of the Celestial Command.

            Brooke fell on the ground and landed on her knees, panting. The clouds turned a lighter gray and it began to rain. Meredith and Ross finished off their enemies and approached Brooke with questioning stares. She lifted her head and was suddenly angry at the zoanthrope who stumbled to stand. She wanted him dead for this pain and killing her mother. She had power, right? Her mom said not to use it, but her mom was dead, so it didn’t matter. Anger seared through her, but dwindled as she realized she didn’t know how to use the power. She didn’t even know what it was to be exact. She was angry enough, so it was safe to say emotion didn’t activate it. She tried standing, glaring fiercely at the zoanthrope. Nothing moved. She didn’t glow. Rain splattered against the earth, making it moist beneath her. Great. Brooke not only had a power she could not use, but also didn’t know how to use it.

            Instead, Brooke reached for her mother’s sword, grabbing its handle. It felt like a treasure to have. A sword passed down from her mother just as she died. It should feel special. She returned to glaring at the zoanthrope. If she couldn’t punish him by power, she’d punish him by sword, something she knew all too well. Brooke charged at the zoanthrope, but he shot his gun. Brooke didn’t know to catch a bullet with her blade, so she dodged them.

            Meredith stepped forward, but Ross stopped her and Brooke was glad. Brooke’s speed decreased as she trudged through the mud and wet grass. She was careful not to slip. Brooke decided to run a different way, in a zigzag towards the zoanthrope, cart wheeling out of the way whenever she saw necessary. Brooke took one giant step forward and cut his wrist off. Blood sprinkled on her face and throat as he gasped. His hand twitched like a squashed spider and then lay still. Brooke caught his arm as he attempted to swing at her. She ducked and shoved her sword into his stomach and retrieved it. She kicked him in his wound as he kicked her mother in her wound. He struggled with his injury and Brooke sauntered over to him. She stabbed the zoanthrope in the heart and then decapitated him, slow with each strike so that he suffered. She wanted him to suffer. The word rang through her mind like a distasteful thing. Brooke shook her head and turned to Meredith and Ross, who showed fear in their eyes. This was why she didn’t like brutality.

            Brooke gave her sword to Ross to hold. She picked up her mother’s body and began carrying it inside the house. “Brooklyn, what are you doing?” Meredith asked.

            “I can’t just leave her out here,” Brooke replied solemnly. Meredith and Ross exchanged glances, understanding. Brooke carried her mother in the house. Meredith and Ross followed her, not saying a word.

            Ellis peaked from one of the corridors. “Is it safe?”

            Meredith gave her a reassuring smile. “Yes.” Ellis saw the corpse and gasped, falling silent. She didn’t know what to say. Meredith petted the anymalis and she meowed.

            Brooke, Meredith, Ross, and Ellis waited out the storm. Meredith buried Rain behind the house where it looked like Rain had tried to plant a garden. She promised one day that she would start a garden. Brooke remembered and just like memories such as those made her shed a tear. They prayed over the burial site. Even Athena bowed her head. Brooke sobbed afterwards and Meredith comforted her, patting her back, and just being a good friend.

            Days passed, and Brooke realized she would have to make a decision on whether or not to return to Alagracia. She lost a mother. She didn’t want to lose a father too. Easier said than done. If Brooke did return, Meredith will demand her release. Brooke wasn’t going to volunteer to sit in prison either. She was sure Meredith wouldn’t let her anyways. Victor will suspect something. She now had the Celestial Command. He might not even know that. Whatever the case, she had to see her father. She wouldn’t debate about it. She told Meredith this and she agreed.

            They informed Ross of their need to depart. He gave them a ship and they stood at the docks of Eros. The sun started to sink into the break line. Ross told them to wait for him before they leave. He came running from the market and stopped to catch his breath. “I have the directions to get to Alagracia; had to ask an anymalis.” He chuckled. “Dwarves suck at direction.” He told them how and Meredith nodded, taking in the information.

            “I think I want Ellis to navigate us; she did a wonderful job last time,” Meredith mused. Ellis blushed and meowed. Brooke, Athena, and Ellis boarded the ship. Meredith turned to follow.

            “I’ll miss you, Meredith,” Ross admitted.

            Meredith faced him, and he gave her an awkward smile. She approached him and laid her hands on his cheeks. Her engagement ring glittered in the setting sun. They lived in two different worlds. In those worlds was where they belonged. She had an obligation to her people. Rebellion was fun, but it had to stop eventually. Meredith must do what was right for her people. They couldn’t afford another war. She hoped that would be enough to sustain the reluctance in her heart. Besides, she’s only met Ross three to four weeks ago. Maybe a month. Meredith wasn’t sure how much time passed. She met Ricky on her eighteenth birthday. This was a fling, something to escape the smothering of her engagement soon to arrive. She looked into his eyes and their honest night said much more.

She removed her hands and motioned to board the boat. Ross hooked her arm and kissed her, tenderly and softly. Meredith kissed Ricky once and it had been the most awkward thing she’d ever experienced. It was quick and perfunctory. Nothing behind it. She wrapped her arms around Ross’s neck and transformed the tender kiss into a passionate one. This may be their last moment together. She wanted it to be honest. When they parted, a spring lit breeze slipped between them. “I’ll miss you too.”

“We don’t have all day, love birds!” Brooke shouted from the main deck.

Meredith chuckled, glanced at Ross, and then boarded the boat. Ellis spun the wheel and the boat drifted from the docks. They were headed home. Meredith should feel relieved. Why was it that she felt heartbroken instead?

 



© 2013 Kianna


Author's Note

Kianna
Dear Reader,

Okay Ross and Meredith can really never be together. At least not in this novel. Their worlds were too big and classes way too far apart. It would have taken too long. Therefore, they do not get a happily ever after, just wishful thinking. Sorry.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely JazzSoulKeke,

God bless

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
Added on July 6, 2013
Last Updated on July 6, 2013
Tags: Taylor, Kianna, Kianna Taylor, God, love, song, fantasy, book, elves, dark, romance, princess, king, queen, kingdom, epic fantasy, urban fantasy, epic, urban, young adult, occult, magic, depression


Author

Kianna
Kianna

Houston, TX



About
Hello. Hmm, about me. I am a pre-nursing student hoping to become a psychiatric nurse and work with mental health patients all day. Eventually, I want to establish my own clinic. Besides writing fanta.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Kianna