A Soldier's Story

A Soldier's Story

A Poem by Robert Luna
"

I read a story this last weekend about two soldiers that had a gay relationship. When others found out about it one denied the truth and said he was seduced while he was drunk. The other soldier came up missing after a weekend of Maneuvers.

"

Wearing a gas mask to walk in the rain
Painting my heart camouflage
part of my masquerade
Trying to prove I’m okay

Standing outside your window
Looking through the two way glass
Seeing nothing but a past

Turn to leave with what dignity I have left

Tripping over egos
and words that should’ve never been said
Condescending acts of treason

against our hearts and all reason

 

Whispered I love you’s lay gathering dust

Pasting strangers all point and laugh

Finding that forever was not long enough

Because I still miss you

 

Being condemned for the love we shared

Seemed to just be too much for you to bear

Passing a death sentences on to me

with your lies and deceit

 

Telling everyone it was a drunken mistake

I seduced you while you were just too weak

Your secret is safe

I will take the truth to my grave

 

As I am left in desert with no escape

Abandon and left for dead

Watching the sand pass through the hourglass

I have no will to live beyond this

 

The news will read soldier lost in the desert

He leaves behind no one

No mention that I was gay

Or that I had my life taken away

 

 

SOLDIER SALUTE

© 2008 Robert Luna


Author's Note

Robert Luna
I read a story this last weekend about two soldiers that had a gay relationship. When others found out about it one denied the truth and said he was seduced while he was drunk. The other soldier came up missing after a weekend of Maneuvers.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very tragic story, one that definately deserves to be brought to light.
It's sad to think of how closed minded our society still is when it comes to same sex relationships or any other relationship others look down upon, including interracial. We've come so far, yet are still so lacking in our moral views - something your poem has forced to the front.
It's not ok to be gay, but it's ok to murder someone who is??? Where is the rationality or morality in that???
As before, you have taken another "taboo" subject and have written a piece to open the mind.
Hopefully one person will read this and it will change their outlook, make them more accepting.
Well done!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It's true that society is too closed minded, I actually wrote a story just today about that. It's amazing what is said to be right and wrong but how can someone say that? Love is love no matter what color, sex, anything everyone deserves to be happy. This poem saddened me and I despise how society dictates what one should and should not do. Laws are necessary and sometimes things do not make sense to us but they make sense however morals are completely different. Great write.


Matalia

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tripping over egos
and words that should've never been said ----this poor man didn't do anyhting else what millions are doing. Pretending and hiding. At least here so many are hiding and the whole Eastern Europe was hiding and pretending 70 years long, thousands and thousands vanished during the Stalin era and still vanish and pass away, think Politkowskaja etc. Indeed what a karma being a soldier and gay, and so sad. great job!!




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
emz
How moving.... a tragedy.. i loved this piece of work... How sad our world is, you wrote this from a heavy heart.. beautiful x

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Robert, it is as if you are there, have been there ,, a wonderful poem and tribute ,, love it !

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Two souls lost in the desert. And you have gathered the story to share with us here. It wasn't something I had ever considered. There are a thousand ways to die. That one is definitely different.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sad, beautifully tragic story. and it's true. Thats our world today instead of minding our businesses. Love is love, hell i dont care if its a man and alien lol.

Great Write, Robert.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Robert my friend there is not a subject you can't write about or afraid to touch and that make you a fantastic writer... you captured the tragedy of this incident masterfully... it's ashamed that things like this still go on. Thanks for sharing your insight into the situation.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good poem Robert, but just like a woman in the Marines, even worse, a gay man most likely will end up missing. People don't look too kindly on that sort of thing. I'm not saying its right, but he knew the consequences when he told every one.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh! This is really such a sad thing to happen and so tragic indeed!
The writing is about such a complex social issue and I think so it's always right to give some light to subjects like this.
I also liked the style of this write a lot too! Very intense...
Great work, Thanks for sharing it here on cafe.





Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How sad that anyone has to live an unauthentic life and from what I understand, it implies one was murdered.

I watched "Gray's Anatomy" last week and one of the stories was about two military men, who were lovers, and the one who was sick denied publicly acknowledging his lover to the end, because of his father (another military man).

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

645 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on May 14, 2008
Last Updated on May 14, 2008

Author

Robert Luna
Robert Luna

Somewhere between here and there



About
My name is Robert. I write therefore I feel I am. My words come from my heart, soul, and mind. I write what I feel and see, life is my inspiration. Life itself is art in its purest form. There is noth.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Perhaps Perhaps

A Poem by Robert Luna