I Remember(Tribute to 9/11)

I Remember(Tribute to 9/11)

A Poem by Robert Luna
"

This is a tribute to all of us through out the world that felt the impact of Sept 11, 2001. My heart still to this day hangs a little heavier with sadness. I say thank you to all you out there that still struggle and fight, trying to make this world a bet

"

September 11, 2001
Do you remember where you were when you heard the news
At work,
in the car,
maybe even at home
Most days have a way of being forgotten,
but not this day

This day, most of the world stood still,
silent,
afraid,
not even really knowing what to think
As battle lines had been drawn
On city streets,
This false sense of safety shattered beyond repair
As a country’s heart sank in despair

I remember
Yes I remember
As I stood at work listening to the radio
When the report of the first plane crash came across
Then as they spoke of the tragedy
the second report filled the air waves
“We’re under attack”

I stopped; I could not believe the words I heard
The reality of what had happened sank in,
the lives of so many innocent people taken
tears appeared on this stone cold face I wear
As my heart broke, I wept
Stepping outside because of my foolish pride
couldn’t let them see me feeling so weak
Seeking god’s help to just understand why
I prayed

As my eyes peered into the sky
Seeming, as birds were even afraid to fly
The streets empty, abandoned,
as if this city was asleep
I am sure we were all hoping that we would awaken
and this would have been nothing more than a bad dream
But as the news spread coast to coast and across the seas
a message was received

That this act would now and forever be felt,
the world stood humbled in the days that followed
Reflecting, consumed by grief,
as the hurt and anger gave way
This was a slap in the face
that echoed around the world

Yes I remember
I remember listening to a mother try to explain,
as she masked her own fears and pain
Why someone would do these things

Yes I remember
Each and every time I see plane fly overhead
The impact that day had

Yes I remember
For the first time in my life
This nation was unified,
a fellowship of man was felt
We were now a nation,
not just a country of people

It is true
Most days have a way of being forgotten,
but not this day
Because
I remember

Photobucket

© 2008 Robert Luna


Author's Note

Robert Luna
I Do Remember and as long as there are those of us that never forget the horrific event of that day and all the lives that were taken. They those men, women, and children will never be forgotten.

This is a tribute to all of us through out the world that felt the impact of Sept 11, 2001. My heart still to this day hangs a little heavier with sadness. I say thank you to all you out there that still struggle and fight, trying to make this world a better place.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I wrote a piece about war awhile back called, If it doesn't touch you. 911 was war touching America. But first, it touched Osama Bin Laden when we launched cruise missiles into his backyard killing his wives and children. Who cries for them? We speak of the war on terror but war IS terror. War is the killing of innocents and the spilling of their blood. It is the butcher of babies and the slaughter of women and we Americans act as though we are above that when we are one of the major perpetrators of the practice so we need to stop practicing what we preach against and quit kicking hornet's nests and complaining when we're stung. It's just stupid. If we want peace we must begin with peace and not stray from the course except in self-defense. By 911, that option no longer lay open. We fired the first shots, drew first blood. Does it so astound the world that someone might fight back? Anyway they could? I say our government is as much to blame for the death of each of those civilians as the so called "terrorists" (here, we would call them "freedom fighters") are themselves. Yes, people died. Innocents died. That is war. And we have been dealing it out ever since, killing the innocent with the guilty. So, my only question is, when will it stop? Our government submitted its own soldiers to contamination by radiation and chemical warfare as part of their "training" during WW11. That is historical fact. Not to mention how many we killed of our own people in Viet Nam for nothing. Remember agent orange? The poisoness defoliating agent sprayed on our troops? They can't even get confirmation from our government the stuff was poison when they are dying from it. My brother was there and there was much worse. A few thousand die here and are nobly immortalized but ten times or a hundred times that many can die overseas without much notice. Why is that? Are their lives less precious on foreign soil? It seems so. I am so tired of the finger pointing when nobody is being held responsible for their actions. But justice, like charity, must begin at home, just my thoughts.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I remember where I was; I'll never forget. I was in my bedroom of the house I shared with my parents at the time listening to music on the radio. They come on interupting the song and said they had a news announcement and that's when I heard the first tower had been hit. I swtiched the radio off and turned on the TV instead. I watched for about two seconds and then grabbed my cell phone to call my husband(bf at the time) and went running to find my mother so she could turn on the tv in the livingroom. We sat there listening and watching in disbeliefe. Then we saw the second plan fly directly into the second tower. And the entire time I was saying oh s**t, oh s**t, oh s**t. Then they fell one after the other and it turned to oh my god, holy f***ing s**t! Then we sat there and cried. We were so worried we had family that worked in the area, not the towers themselves, but the complex and we were scared to death. They made it out of the area safe and alive, but not everybody was so lucky. They either didn't make it out or had family that didn't make it out. I don't think there is a single person that wasn't somehow affected by the news. Then we heard about the Pentagon, and Pennsylvania. I can still remember the look on Pres. Bush's face when they came to tell him and he was about to talk to the room full of elementary school kids. He couldn't say anything or act like anything was wrong. It's one of the bravest things I think I have ever seen. I'll never forget that day and noone ever should. Pearl Harbor is not he only day that will in infamy.
I have a piece dedicated to 9-11 also. Writing about it is one way to keep it alive and in the minds and hearts of everyone. There should be reminders so we don't become immune. But I was granted a special gift, a good thing to remember on 9-11. It is my son's birthday.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh I remember well... I had to work that night so I was playing on my playstaion and turned it off just about the time the second plane hit... had to work that night in a deserted store... I remember driving home that night with people lining the streets waving American flags, brought tears to my eyes... that was the day we became vulernable and the country came close for a short time... wonderfully written tribute my friend.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Robert, tis is so touching it made me cry again! I did not write a new poem for 9/11.. but i sure remembered and felt it .. you did a wonderful job with this tribute..

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember too sweetie and you have articulated all of our thoughts amazingly here! This is why I love your poetry, it is real and it is always full of heart. You did an amazing job with this piece, my friend...thank you for writing this! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful words with such heartfelt emotion on this day of sorrow that is burned into all our memories. I myself was at home and could only bear to wtch a biut of it unfold until I went to bed and buried myself in my covers and cried while my father, who was visiting, watched every moment of the coverage downstairs. One year later I was able to bring myself to watch the Memorial show a year after the event - I was stronger emotionally then and I was amazed at the bravery of all the firefighters and rescue workers - so many lives lost saving others. They are to be revered and commended. Thank you for sharing these wonderful words on a very sad Memorial event for a country and the world as a whole. Well said.
Love and Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I will never forget that day Robert, as my birthday is on the 9th. And as I read this I felt the warm tears trailing down my face and my becoming heavy with grief. I remember so well the horrors of that day and the days that followed. But I also thought of something that I have heard very few mention. As I sat there listening to and seeing all the horror and devastastion taking place I thought " there are some who experience this every day. They live one moment at a time not knowing if it may be be their last. Our horror was for a short duration for other's it may be their entire life time. To them it has become a way of life. I watched a news story showing Iraq and updating on the events. In this clip the people were walking around seemingly going about their business as usual while all around them building were exploding and you could hear the sounds of gunfire I'm not saying we suffered less or they suffer more. All I'm saying is if we stop to think there are people who have to experience this sort of thing on a daily basis and my heart goes out to them also. I could not imagine having to endure this on a daily basis. I wrote a poem based on this very thing. "War Hurts" with the conclusion being "War hurts and touches, both sides not just one." And it does . It is my belief that the ones that suffer the most from war are the innocent, the ones who really have no say in it, Usually the ones who started it and are behind it all are safely hidden away, never having to experience it firsthand.
Your Tribute is a honor and a beautifully written but horrible reminder of what took place that horrible day. Your imagery is so vivid and real it was almost like experiencing it again.
Thank you for this beautiful tribute Robert.
Blessing my friend
Norma Jean

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You captured the raw emotional energy that, that still holds even today. We will never forget that day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember the exact spot, the exact moment. I held a cup of coffee in my hands while wearing my favorite pair of pajamas. I have not worn them since. Robert, you have outdone your already astounding ability to bring reality to a whole new plain.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great piece...

i remember exactly where i was... at work... sitting at my desk... i even know what i had on that day... when a co-worker came out and said that a plane had crashed into the first tower... then all the craziness that happened after the plane crashed in PA - the city i live in shutting down - people scrambling to get home...

so very sad...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There are moments in history that can never be forgotten. The fall of communist in Russia, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and many others. But we can't forget the day we were attacked on our own soil.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

720 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 8, 2008
Last Updated on September 11, 2008

Author

Robert Luna
Robert Luna

Somewhere between here and there



About
My name is Robert. I write therefore I feel I am. My words come from my heart, soul, and mind. I write what I feel and see, life is my inspiration. Life itself is art in its purest form. There is noth.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Oil Oil

A Poem by Robert Luna