Chapter Six: The First Month

Chapter Six: The First Month

A Chapter by Jeheto
"

This chapter introduces some new antagonists that I intend to bring up later in the book. Also, more background, more magic, etc.

"

     Sunlight beat down upon the desert sands as Sir and Som trekked back down to the town for groceries. Som eagerly embraced the change of scenery.

     It was not that he had tired of his new home. Som merely wished to see more new things. Despite the inhospitable conditions, unstudied flora abounded, as did Som’s inquiries to Sir. Cactuses were particularly intriguing. Their fruits are one of the few edible things in the desert, their flowers have a few medicinal uses, they are natural magic engines, their needles can be used for something called acupuncture and they hold vats of water in their bodies. So many interesting things, thought Som.

     The journey took a more direct route than last time, saving the duo a couple days. Sir said that they had taken the long way last time to see the river. Som stated that he did not regret the choice.

    Som turned his thoughts inward and recalled the many things he had learned this month while trotting behind Sir. The youth had excelled in all of his classes. He now had a very satisfactory understanding of water.

     Despite the seemingly limited scope, Som had actually learned quite a bit. In the scientific sense he knew its shapes and forms, its boiling and freezing points, pressure’s effect upon it and what its chemical properties were. Magically, he knew that it was very special. Pure water is the elemental opposite of fire and the antagonist of earth. When combined with Aether (the semi-elemental embodiment of light), water becomes an absorbing entity capable of retaining magic and life. When combined with Nether (the semi-elemental opposite of Aether), water becomes repelling entity that wards away magic and life. There was a great deal of lore on water as well. Many magical creatures are representatives of water, such as naiads or mermaids. Others are extremely vulnerable to it, like vampires or fire aligned witches.

     Som’s monthly test had been to learn a water control spell. He had to first properly cast the spell, drawing out a dribble of water from a bowl to cascade down the side.

     That alone had been quite the task. Som had had to draw out a pentacle, with water denoted as the top most point. Then, aiming his own body’s magical supply with a wand, he had to guide the water through a maze to reach a plant.

     Som found quickly that a wrong turn was difficult to recover from. Water did not like to flow upwards. Coercing it required a comparatively large amount of magic and gave Som a headache. However, he managed to pass on his first try. Sir was very proud.

     Out in the desert, water magic wasn’t much good though. Deserts were powerful embodiments of earth and fire. Any water was likely to be dispersed to uselessness here.

     The city Garcilia began to show in the distance. The two quickened their pace to arrive at a shady solace.

* * *

     Inside the city walls people lived their lives busily. Everyone had something to do, somewhere to go or someone to talk to. On passing through the entrance Som noticed his old orphanage and some of the kids there. He did not go say hello, feeling that it would be better to leave that life behind. Instead he followed Sir on his errands.

     The pair spent most of the day traversing to various shops Som had never been to. A similar pattern evolved from their trips. They would enter a shop and look around for five or so minutes. After the shopkeeper welcomed them Sir would exchange pleasantries and remark upon the strange weather lately. The two would chat amongst themselves then get down to business.

     Haggling was what varied the most between the shops. In some, the debate grew heated. In others, it was very relaxed. Som noticed that Sir shifted his personality depending on the reactions he would get from the shopkeepers. Som also observed that Sir repeatedly got the best of the storeowners. One even threatened to call down some local magi to check for illusion magic if Sir didn’t lower his demands.

     They bought ink, paper, clothe and a dozen other necessities which Sir placed into a deceivingly small bag. Som began to sense an odd pressure upon him as the day continued. The urban hustle and bustle was very different from the calm rural setting he had quickly become accustomed to. Also, there was a feeling about that was very difficult to describe, a sort of suction in the very air of the town. Som shook it off nervously and continued on.

     Night had begun its descent so Som and Sir found a modest inn to stay at for the night. The inn had cozy wooden flooring and welcoming red paint on its walls. The furniture was padded quaintly and the inhabitants were only a little drunk.  Sir performed his charm routine upon the innkeeper and secured an exquisite deal on a room upstairs.

     When they entered Som asked when he would learn illusion magic so that he could get good prices on things. Sir replied that he hadn’t used any, because natural charisma works much better and using magic like that could adversely affect the target. Also, because the local magi tower would have noticed it and arrested him for infringing on their monopoly.

     Som knew a little about the Mage Guild, mostly just rumors though. Supposedly they set up in most cities as a sort of solace and practice ground for wizards. You could draw out a contract with them for lots of things if you had money. He hadn’t known that they were the only ones allowed to cast spells in the city. Som inquired why that was. Sir muttered that it was very complicated and irrational.

     Fatigue had set in so Som let the matter be and collapsed on his cot.

* * *

     Heavy eyes opened reluctantly to face the burning sun. Slowly, Som stood up and searched his surroundings. The room’s windows let in the morning light prettily, illuminating basic furniture in the room. Notably, Sir’s bed was devoid of him. Upon his pillow sat a note and a handbag.

Som,

     Left early to get a few things done. Explore the city a little bit. In the bag is some cash for food, and a ward necklace. Wear the necklace at all times.

-Sir

P.S. Don’t stir up trouble.

P.S.S. Don’t fling any magic around, which will inevitably cause trouble.

     Som decided to embrace the offer rather than mope over being left behind. He took out the necklace to examine it.

     It was an amethyst attached to a silver chain. Very simple, but Som could read the tell-tale signs of water magic wrapped about the artifact. That was, however, the extent of Som’s divination.

     The child slipped on the necklace and ran out the door with spring in his step. Downstairs he purchased some bacon and eggs from the innkeeper and ate them on a comfy couch. Som made sure to save some money for his exploration.

     Firstly Som decided to walk to the city arboretum. The trip there was fairly calm. Most citizens were working their jobs and earning good pay. Som noticed that the Machinist Guild got a new shipment of something the size of a man. The young boy wondered if it was a golem like he had seen at home.

     The sweet smell of flowers and life reached Som before he could see its propagators. Som began to think of how he would describe the trip to Sir, but realized something truly revolutionary. He could not explain the smells. What adjectives can be adhered together to describe a rose without stating that it smells like a rose? Or a lily? Appearance is so bafflingly simple in comparison!

     Som fondled a petal, feeling out what words would describe it best. Smooth? But then so was burnished steel. This petal didn’t feel like steel. Soft? But not the soft of Sir’s sofa, which bellies the strength to bear bodies. Words did not seem to apply themselves well to such simple beings.

    While deep in contemplation Som had failed to note the arrival of a young child about his age. The boy was dressed in the height of fashion and was noble in the worst sense. His nose was upturned at a modestly large angle. His very manner of step suggested pompousness rather than authority.  Perfectly kempt blond hair surrounded (but of course did not obfuscate) a pristine smirk.

     “Move.” said the small noble.

     Som sat unresponsive, contemplating language and its mysteries.

    The noble child took a deep breath and exclaimed, “Move!”

    Som continued to abstain from action.

     “I am Eriandal Rosapharim De’Schi the Second and you are a lazy knave! Now, I command thee, move!”

     “Oh, hello! I wasn’t even aware you were there.” Som said innocently. “My name’s Som. What’s yours?”

     Eriandal turned purple. As he prepared to loose a denouncement of epic proportions his father came up behind him. Eriandal Rosapharim De’Schi the First looked very much like his son, and bore himself in much the same manner.

     “Here now Randal, what are you doing mingling with peasant boys?”

     Randal began to fumble over his words.

     “Your name’s Randal? Nice to meet you. What’s yours mister?” Som said innocently.

     “The indignity! I am not mister to you, trash! I am the head of the local Mages Guild chapter and you will refer to me as my lord!”

     “Okay!” Som said, his mind only half focused on the conversation. “So Randal, is Maylord your dad? He looks a lot like you.” Does fluffy describe a flower? No, no, that isn’t any good either.

     Both nobles turned purple.

     “For this indignity you shall suffer!” The mage made several hand symbols and muttered various words. Little popping noises sounded as arcane power was pulled from the air itself. Som began to feel slightly ill. The little boy watched with a malicious grin as his father channeled greenish light at Som.

     The light was pulled into the necklace like lightning to a lightning rod. The jewelry piece shimmered bright and shot the light back in ten thousand directions.

     Som blinked several times, clearing away the purple spots in his eyes. When he regained sight he found both Randal and Maylord gone. However, two exceptionally warty frogs he had not noticed beforehand lie stunned upon the ground. Som picked them up with the intent to show them to Sir. Smiling, he skipped on his merry way.

***

     Sir spotted Som as he left the alchemy shop.

     “Oh my.” Swore Sir when he detected the remnants of magic upon Som. “Alright, what did you do?”

    “Look at these cool frogs!” Som burst out into an enormous smile innocent enough to melt a heart of ice. Sir’s heart, however, was made of slightly sterner stuff.

     Intricate bindings laced the frogs’ skin. Various glyphs and markings were inscribed microscopically all over their bodies. The glyphs detailed a potent and familiar spell of temporary transformation. The frog evocation, as Sir recalled, was a necessary spell to pass the first rank test of the Mage’s Guild.

     Sir glanced at Som’s necklace. The determinate marks of water magic were absent. With a sigh the tired senior took the frogs from Som.

     “Step back boy.” Sir said.

     Sir felt out the air by deeply inhaling. It was suffused with magic energy from day to day city life. Every exchanged smile, every greeting and every touch had coagulated into a palpable jelly of mystic power. It was suffocating and exhilarating. Guiding the magic with an old yew wand he kept for such occasions, Sir assembled the proper spell to mingle senses. On exhale the Spell of Second Sight was cast.

     Luminescence filled the hieroglyphs on the frogs. Blue threads of water coursed atop the majority of the frogs’ bodies, creating the framework of the spell. Small laces of earth tied together the water outline. The friction between the water and earth elements maintained power to the spell after the initial investment used in transformation. Sir conjured small incisions of pure elemental air on his next inhale. After a split second of contemplation he decided to give it a little kick by winding Nether around the spell. Sir exhaled and cut the earth weaves.

     The frogs literally exploded into human shape. Both Eriandals were tossed six feet into the air. Som let out a shriek of terror, as did the rest of the folk on the street.

     Between coughs Eriandal senior said, “You… will pay… for violation… charter… Head of... local guild!”

     Sir waited for the disgruntled noble to recover. It took significantly longer than it should have because Eriandal found it necessary to insert various insults and threats between his breaths.

     “You have violated the charter of magic use in this city! For that you will report to the local authorities immediately!” exclaimed Eriandal.

     “And you!” shouted Eriandal as he turned to face Som. “You will be dissected in the laboratories for this!”

     Som began crying. Sir became angry.

     “What are you staring at you old bag of bones? Did you not hear me? I am head-“ Eriandal became silent as Sir drew uncomfortably close.

     “I know who you are. I know your rank. It does not justify your actions.” Sir spoke very quietly.

     “We have not violated your charter. The necklace around the boy’s neck is a reflective ward. He has not cast any spells.”

     Eriandal tried to interrupt but Sir’s glare was withering.

     “I, Sir, possess the rank of Journeyman. As such I am entitled to full spell rights, including the right to release you from a self inflicted curse.” Disdain drenched Sir’s words. “Do you understand Eriandal Rosapharim De’Schi the First?”

     “I will have vengeance you withered fool.” muttered Eriandal with childish spite.

     “Will you now?” inquired Sir. “It would seem to me that you are certainly not in a position to avenge anything. What terrible wrong has been wrought upon you? Has your pride been bruised, your ego damaged?” Sir’s voice began to boom uncharacteristically.

     “Bah! What of your vows? How, in any way, does this protect life, knowledge or the rights of all? Your actions today are enough to have you put on trial in front of the Archmage himself and judged! Consider that before you extract your silly vengeance.”

     Eriandal paled and fled while dribbling out vague defenses. His son chased after him. The crowd that had been gathering around the commotion dispersed with the tension.

     Som ran over and hugged Sir, still sobbing.

     “It’s alright now… They’re gone. No one’s going to take you away.” Sir whispered.

     Som merely cried.

     One of the locals moved towards Sir, though obviously reluctant to interrupt.

     “Did you need something?” said Sir.

     “Um… Well… I’d like to thank you milord. No one’s ever stood up to De’Schi before. It’s good to know that someone is willing to…”

     “Don’t count on me and don’t thank me. I live far out of town, and I won’t be there when he asserts himself again. The weight of my actions will likely fall on the townspeople.” Sir sounded very tired and distant.

     Som provided an unexpected interjection between sniffles, “You’ll stop him won’t you? It wouldn’t be right if a bad person like him hurt more people.”

     Both Som and the townsman looked to Sir.

     Reluctantly Sir spoke, “I have already done too much. You must find your own way from here.”

     Thus did Somnium learn of disappointment. 



© 2012 Jeheto


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on October 19, 2012
Last Updated on October 19, 2012
Tags: Fantasy, Magic, Wizards, Mentor