Irish Eyes

Irish Eyes

A Story by jenbem
"

Flash fiction piece. Really, I'm procrastinating my a*s off right now!

"

 

You asked me once to write about Ireland, your heritage, your name and your blood. As if the Isle of Kerry meant something to me beyond, of course, it being the birthplace of Yeats.
“I don’t have any Irish in me at all!” I protested, motioning to the muddy brown locks curling on my shoulders and the deep tan glowing on my skin. You just laughed and made a crude joke, which I more than half expected.
Trying a new, intellectual approach, I said, “Besides, traditional Irish writing, poetry and prose, is written about the island, the homeland. It’s not written about people at all. How could I ever write a poem about a place I’ve never been?”
You were quiet for a moment, and I started to believe you would relent and let me finish studying. Instead you came and sat down across from me. You stared at me intently for a minute or two and I could feel your warm ocean blue eyes, those Irish eyes, penetrating deeply into my own of cool mossy green.
“Ah, lassie,” you whispered softly, slipping effortlessly back into the dialect of your ancestors, “don’t you see the Emerald Isle now?”
I knew you had me now, damn stubborn Irishman that you are.

© 2008 jenbem


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

cool piece there Irish on my mothers side, nice work will there be more?
keep on writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Brilliant piece. I'm not sure I've ever seen a first-person piece maintain such a narrative quality- usually, once the writer begins telling the story, some things get lost: the emotion, description and mood. But with this, I feel they are strengthened by virtue of the perspective. Cheers. Absolutely great writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'm Irish too!!! You will get alot on here that are(smile) Great start to something new.
Thanks for sharing.
Kelley Frost

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'M IRISH!!!lol
With my irish eyes and all. I've never been there either, desprately desire going though, but it never stopped me from trying to write about it. I love this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

388 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2008

Author

jenbem
jenbem

Baltimore, MD



About
I'm a senior English major at Towson University. I am also the managing editor of Towson's Columbia Scholatic Press silver circle winning literary magazine, Grub Street. I am the captain of the colorg.. more..

Writing
Too Hard Too Hard

A Poem by jenbem


Graduation Graduation

A Poem by jenbem



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Farce Farce

A Poem by Bubo